Hybrid View

I will add a couple of things...

First, I believe that the 2001 Mobius V is a 23 foot boat, isn't it? This would explain the bags fitting better. Also, don't forget that the Tsunami 1200's are that odd 1-1/8" size, and it is almost impossible to find fittings for them. For the 1100# fat sac, theoretical fill time for a T1200 would be 6.6 minutes, with the T800 it would be 9.9 minutes. So if you went with the 800's, you fill time would be about 3.3 minutes longer, but you won't pull your hair out looking for fittings. What we really need is for Attwood to make a T1000 that is a 1" size.

As far as the aerator pumps are concerned, water will seep past the pumps, both in and out in some cases. Especially if the sac is really full, the pressure in it can push the water back out of the sac when you turn off the pump. Some way to stop this is necessary. You can use manual or electric valves, but I think the vented loops are the simplest way, and they operate hands off. However, placement of these loops is important.

I was planning a ballast system for my Outback and was planning on three sacs, with two T800's for each sac with vented loops and either one big thru hull, or one for each pump. I think the parts list for this system added up to over $1200 (without the bags). All of these thru hulls and plumbing and wiring adds up, plus it gets really complicated to install. It is worse in my direct drive because finding room to mount the pumps below the waterline is tough.

I think, if I ever do this, I will go with three of the Johnson pumps. There is less wiring, no vented loops, less thru hulls, and I can mount them anywhere. And since they are 720gph, it will not be noticably slower than the T800's. I am also fairly confident that I will come out a tad bit less expensive in the end.

Didn't Moomba upgrade the Mobius in 2006 and up until then the hull was/is the same as the OBV?
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

I seriously question the 40gal tank as I've never put that much in - but then again, I'm chicken to run it that low!

My hull always seems to me like it is not as deep at the rear as newer boats and the storage compartments not quite as long.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Thanks for clearing that up Berg.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to sketch it out (yet again) and run it by WakeMakers to get their take on the plan.

Part of what I like about the forums is some of the stories and questions that spin off from the original topic. Fun stuff and I often learn or find something else I wasn't originally after!

Default Requesting feedback on ballast system layout

So after a bit of head scratching I'm wondering if this type of layout will work?

I'm feeling confident in the setup except possibly for the electric control valve at the end of the system (Irritrol or similar). I'm thinking I'll combine the drain and vent lines together, have them pass through the electric valve, then out the through hull.

When the ballast switch is on "FILL" the fill pump comes on AND the electric valve opens allowing the vent to do it's job. When the ballast switch is off, the valve is closed, keeping the vent or drain line from leaking. When the ballast switch is on "DRAIN" the drain pump comes on and again the electric valve opens.

Simply put, the electric valve opens any time a pump is running. Am I missing anything here? Major no-nos?

This is basically one half of the setup or one side of the boat.