Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead...?

yeah i guess over all i need to get a good pump system for all my bags and call it a day and stay away from the lead...

I have been surfing with a couple that use lead in their sanger. 25lb thin bricks, and usually have 3-400lbs of them on the floor. talk about a pita to trip around when you are done surfing, and I can't imagine what that's doing to the trailer since it's always there. maybe nothing, but I'm sure there's some impact...

lead does make a good ballast and I know there are several companies making $$ selling them as ballast, but from a safety aspect, I'll stick to water. last thing I really want is to have some sherriff questioning me on ballast and having to explain lead vs. buoyant waterbags. it's a misundersood sport in some areas and I would think that lead would only complicate it..

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Sled491 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buck02LS View Post
    is your 07 a V Drive or DD? if it's DD i would love to see some pictures of your wake with that's set up?!?
    I have an Outback so its a DD. I'd say the wake is respectable. The only problem is the pocket is short. I have to surf right at the back of the boat, I can't go back to far before I loose the push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    I have an Outback so its a DD. I'd say the wake is respectable. The only problem is the pocket is short. I have to surf right at the back of the boat, I can't go back to far before I loose the push.
    do you have any weight up front or in the ski locker?

you don't have any picutres of your wake do you?

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I have been surfing with a couple that use lead in their sanger. 25lb thin bricks, and usually have 3-400lbs of them on the floor. talk about a pita to trip around when you are done surfing, and I can't imagine what that's doing to the trailer since it's always there. maybe nothing, but I'm sure there's some impact...

lead does make a good ballast and I know there are several companies making $$ selling them as ballast, but from a safety aspect, I'll stick to water. last thing I really want is to have some sherriff questioning me on ballast and having to explain lead vs. buoyant waterbags. it's a misundersood sport in some areas and I would think that lead would only complicate it..

Yeah having it all out on the floor in buckets is not what I’m going for by any means... I don't like having anything on the floor seeing I have DD the room is limited already!
    I’m sure a few extra 100lbs wouldn’t do much to the trailer, (but I could be wrong) but I was worried about what it would do to the boat being in there at all times…
    Dose anyone ever leave any of the water in their ballast bags when going back and forth from the lake or river??? Not a good idea right?!?

What’s the law about going over the weight amount in your boat…? I’ve only been stopped by a sheriff once and it was the 2 time out on my boat and I didn’t have any ballast in the boat so that wasn’t a problem or a worry. They were just doing a general stop and check of everything and then they went on there marry way!  But I have had about 1000lbs over my boats rated weight and just wondering what would happen if a sheriff stops me when I’m like that…? A ticket or what…

good question on the sherriff. we have never been stopped while surfing, nor have I seen them stop anyone that is surfing, and I typically run 3 400lb bags and an 1100 in the corner with 3-5 in the boat. way over the rated limit. guess I figure that water ballast is a whole lot easier to explain than bricks of lead or buckets of concrete
    sherriffs here are more interested in the kids drinking in the party cove and watching for smaller children in boats with no lifejackets.

I can't even imagine why you would want to leave your bags full of water when trailering. gas mileage is crappy enough without an added 1000+lbs of water and, for those of us with single axles, not a good idea.

My boat is only rated for 10 people or 1300lbs, but hell if you get 10 people in the boat you’re already ez over 1300lbs… LOL so I think every time I go out I’m going to be over my weight limit. I guess I will find out sooner or later what the Sherriff will do when my boats back corner deck is 6inch’s from the top… LOL

Yeah I didn’t think it was a good idea, but just wondering if anyone did it…

it all depends on who you roll with. 10 supermodels would still leave you plenty of "reserve" for ballast.

HAHA yeah i wish that was the case eveytime out!!! i don't even like putting 10 poeple in the boat! 6 is a good number and 8 is pushing it! most of the time it's 2 or 3 of my boys and all of are girls just going along for the ride!

Sled491 Guest

don't take my word for it, but it was my understanding that boats over 20ft weren't subject to the weight rating.

Sorry no pics of my wake loaded up as I described. I don't have a ski locker as mine is a Regular ole Outback. I had my son and his friend up front which would be about 160lbs.