Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Collision avoidance - VERY NEAR MISS

So we are fast-idling back to the dock today, not quite dark but not quite daylight. We are listening to the Longhorns wrap up the NCAA regional on the radio, and in my rear-view mirror I see the red/green of a FAST approaching boat. I turn to look, one of my three passengers starts to wave, and I yell as loud as I can.

When it becomes clear that they aren't stopping or turning, I hit the throttle and veer right. Just as our boat starts to leap forward, they swerve right, so I drop back to neutral as they miss us by TWO FEET! I am not exaggerating. It was an older Malibu inboard, moving at least 30 mph.

Needless to say, we were scared/pissed off to the max. Called the police as we watched them nearly hit at least 5 other boats trying to load at the ramp/dock. Then they hit the back of their truck while loading on their trailer. They then unloaded two full plastic garbage bags of empties from their boat. One chick stood on the trailer tongue as they pulled the boat out of the water.

So I need some input: What, if anything, can/should I do as far as active avoidance?

My thought process is wait till last moment, and try to power out of the oncoming boats path. I waited until what I though was the last moment and then hit the throttle to avoid. They went the same way (right) as I did so I stopped. Had they kept going straight I feel pretty sure I could have gotten out of the way in time. Did I do the right thing?

If any of you guys/gals have and advice or experience in situations like this, please share it. As safe as I try to be, at the lake on Sunday afternoon I feel I am somewhat at the mercy of the idiots. This is the 3rd close call we have had this season. Each one was very similar: nearly being run down from dead astern by a fast moving boat.

Any tips on being a small target would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Aaron in Austin

Have your lights on when it is busy at dusk and stay away from the launch until you're ready to get right in. You did the right thing and kudos to your partners for the shout out. Most riders are passive and expect everything to go OK. I wonder if the cops busted them.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Have your lights on when it is busy at dusk and stay away from the launch until you're ready to get right in. You did the right thing and kudos to your partners for the shout out. Most riders are passive and expect everything to go OK. I wonder if the cops busted them.
    Right on, I'm the guy with the lights on before the sun is even close to setting. It amazes me how many folks run with no lights until totally dark.

We were headed in to load, but I think today was my last launch/load from this ramp for the summer. Just too many morons there.

We watched them load and fumble around drunk for at least 30 min in the parking lot, and of course, literally 2 minutes after they drive away the lake cop shows up at the ramp. Oh well, I know they were busy today. I know this, if they were driving more than a couple of miles they were bound to either crash or get pulled over.

The only god move that you could have done, I would have gone one more step and got their plate numbers of the boat and vehicle and called it in to the popo.

glad everyone was save, but i would find another launch or lake.

Boating should be fun and safe.

Enjoy

ps Get a ws420 with some hlcd and a powerful amp and you can yell really loud at the idiot morons
    Last edited by jmvotto; 06-07-2010 at 09:23 AM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Big Boss you did about all you can do in that situation, there's no way to call the correct move in that kind of situation. Drunks are unpredictable, you're lucky you avoided disaster. I've reported to the water cops before on idiots like that for everyones safety.

That being said i don't drink on the water, maybe one beer or Mike's Hard while floating for lunch. In Cali a BUI is exactly the same as a DUI and carries the same consequences to include the confiscation of your boat if they so desire. With that possibillity i think i can contain myself. And if i was to be involved in an incident and i had been drinking I would be toast regardless of whom was at fault.
    2007 Mobius LSV

yeah, have to watch out for the morons that's for sure.. i think you did everything about right. i would have gotten the license plate number of their vehicle because that behavior is unacceptable. safety first always....
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Razz, in NY they made the BUI/DWI laws even stiffer. with children under 18 in the vehicle/boat its an automatic felony, loss of licence and jail time..... not worth it IMO. Boats need a DD as well if partying is involved
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Razz, in NY they made the BUI/DWI laws even stiffer. with children under 18 in the vehicle/boat its an automatic felony, loss of licence and jail time..... not worth it IMO. Boats need a DD as well if partying is involved
    That's good to hear, way to many incidents on the water imo.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    id carry a Mag light.
    if nothing else, you can use a (3) D cell Maglight to beat the sh!t out of the drunk idiot back at the ramp.

glad you avoided what could have been a big disaster.

Yeah we called in their boat numbers and plate to the cops. Wish they would have gotten them, but oh well. Their day is coming. Karma is a cold heartless bitch when she finally comes calling.

I was, and always am, stone cold sober when on the boat. Here in Texas, BWI is as bad as a DWI as well. It's just not worth it. Some of my friends like to come out and get hammered, but I just sit there and laugh at them. I got that out of my system in college LOL

We used another launch today, way up at the north end of our lake, where the water is COLD. It was glass all day.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. A bigger boat just jumped to the top of my priority list, as I now subscribe to the SUV theory: if my boat is bigger than most, I'm safer than most. Light bar on the tower will be a requirement as well.

The craziest part of the whole thing is after we pulled our boat out, the chick who owned the boat couldn't find her cell phone, and came and asked me if I would call her phone so she could find it! I bit my tongue, might have been the hardest thing I ever did. I was so amped, I knew I was in no frame of mind to just yell, so I told her my phone was dead, sorry. I doubt they even remember being at the lake, let alone nearly killing us. Crazy.

Aaron