Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile

Just my .02 but i think Skiyaker has it more right ,in worrying more about hand location with hands by hips and shoulders square etc. I asked Chris Parrish a similar question last summer while out with him and his reply was Go with what is more comfortable and doesn't effect your normal balance.

I had way more issues to deal with than hands up/down to deal with so maybe he was just trying to make skiing easier for me etc.
    07 Outback DD

Pretty hard to argue with someone like Chris Parrish - but my experience is that the 'correct' grip helps. Maybe for me it was just a change to get me thinking. somethingn els I just changed this last week.

I always got up with a 'bad' grip - and then once I switched my grip I had to change my grip after I got up. Last week I tried getting up ith a dobule overhand grip so that switching my left hand was simpler. I really like this. I even switched from a 'self designed' on-handed gate to two handed gate in the left handed baseball grip - I like it.

I think where Chris may have been going is that most of use weekend warriors have so many things to work on that our grip is the least of the issues. But I really think that the 'correct' grip helps encourage proper shoulders position - but does not guarantee it.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Benson, Deerfield, you guys serious? You've been skiing with a backward grip until now? The summer will be a rewarding one for you with the benefits of the "correct/standard" grip.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

I love how this thread goes back to '04

Good grief...didn't notice that. Moderators, delete this and my prior post.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Quote Originally Posted by moombabound View Post
    Good grief...didn't notice that. Moderators, delete this and my prior post.
    LOL yeah I dug it up- well I was going to start a new thread about this but I figured since there was one already started I would just revive it- and prove once and for all that ancient threads can still be useful!

Mikey I'm having a really hard time with my wake crossings and keeping my hips and shoulders square- I made a huge improvement now that I'm looking down course but I'm hoping that changing my grip will help me progress.

Dave- interesting- I've always gotten up using the double overhand grip and then switched once I got up- I think that comes from my 2 ski roots.

Sunny with winds 0-5 mph- time to pack the cooler and head out to the course
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Grip change DID make a difference. Baseball style - right hand on top w/ palm toward me. Hey, moombabound, I can delete your posts but nothing wrong with them. Really. Just let me know. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

what a great day- the new grip takes some getting used to but by the 6th pass I skied my best ever- made the first four consecutive buoys before I broke at the waist on my way to 5 ball- missed 5 but made 6. Finally able to get some more tip bite on my offside lean- felt like the ski was working for me a lot better.

Today more than ever I am amazed at the amount of focus this sport takes and how a small change in technique can make such a huge difference. My second set I went out to ski "just for fun" and I skied like dog poo when I wasn't thinking about the 3 points I listed above. Got some mojo back by the 3 set but was too dang fatigued to pull it out- hopefully before long I'll claim my 15 off badge- today I was so close.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Default goofy hand

I am a RFF slalom, but use the opposite grip. Many years ago I remember trying to switch after reading in WS magazine that I was using wrong grip. It just didn't work for me and I remained opposite. I agree that whatever feels most comfortable will most likely work. I consistenly ski 28 off 34 mph and have tried switching and couldnt run 15 off totally threw me off.

Mark

Switching to the 'recommended' grip definitely messes with your head. I did it after about 35 years on a slalom ski. Thing is I was never really that good compared to anyone who skis for real (bouys). I can see where someonoe who is already running shortline would probably not benefit from it. By the time you are running 28 off in the course you are pretty comfortable with your style and you body position coming out of the turn. Everyone stnads to improve, until you are running 43 off, but there is plenty of opportunity in other parts of your form that may benefiti a shortline skier more than grip.

I do recommend that anyone who is not yet running 22 off in the course at least try the recommended grip - for more than just a couple of sets.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off