Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Thru hull for IBS

was looking through and couldn't find anything specific on adding an IBS to a GIII system so thought I would start one. Time for G IV

My current setup is pretty standard GIII:
    • 1 thru hull
      1 pump
      1 three valve sprinkler valve setup

My next winter project, next year hopefully will be to replace the current setup.

I should have an IBS arriving today and was thinking of setting it up on it's own thru hull. I would use this thru hull to fill the ski locker bag as well when I redo the system, but am thinking to make sure I plan ahead when plumbing in the IBS.

Questions?
    • Should the thru hull be towards the stern near the current GIII thru hull?
      was planning on using 1" for the fill line and 3/4 for the drain, should that work?
      Do I need two drain lines from the IBS? one for each leg? or would one work?
      I was going to put the drain thru hull right next to the ski locker drain, should I have any issues there?
      If I wanted to replace the ski locker lines with 1" and connect to the new thru hull, do I just put in a T from the thru hull going to separate pumps for each bag? do I need to do anything else?

I've already spent my budget and then some for this year, building new house and having a baby kinda puts a kink in my mods. So I'll be sourcing locally and online to find the best deals.

As always, help is appreciated.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

The cheapest way for you to use the IBS this season is, attach a line from your center bag top port, to your IBS leg. Then you can allow it to fill with your center bag.

To drain it you will need 2 700 tsunami pumps, you can piggy back those pumps to the drain on the center bag for power. Just change the fuse from 5 to 20amp. The drain line can be tied into the center bag drain through hull. All the pumps will be running so you wont get the IBS back filling the center.

Later if you want to run separate pumps, separate intake you will want to put it in the rear bilge like the factory one is. I would also with a shut off valve on it for safety.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I would recommend a reversible pump. Add the through-hull, go to the pump and then the center bag, move the drain to the front center port of the IBS and piggy back the IBS off of the center bag (where the drain was). The pump would be more expensive ($150 difference compared to 2x $25 pumps) but you only have to add a short hose from the center to the IBS and reuse all the other plumbing; the sum total might not be that different. If you run everything off of the sprinkler manifold system, your fill times will be pretty long. Getting the center and IBS off of that on it's own pump would really speed things up.

The only caution I'd have with mmandley's method is changing the fuse from 5 to 20A. It would really depend on how you have it wired. I wouldn't want that much current on one of those little wires. You would need to make the common connection at the fuse, not down the wire somewhere.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    was looking through and couldn't find anything specific on adding an IBS to a GIII system so thought I would start one. Time for G IV

My current setup is pretty standard GIII:
    • 1 thru hull
      1 pump
      1 three valve sprinkler valve setup

My next winter project, next year hopefully will be to replace the current setup.

I should have an IBS arriving today and was thinking of setting it up on it's own thru hull. I would use this thru hull to fill the ski locker bag as well when I redo the system, but am thinking to make sure I plan ahead when plumbing in the IBS.

Questions?
    • Should the thru hull be towards the stern near the current GIII thru hull?
      was planning on using 1" for the fill line and 3/4 for the drain, should that work?
      Do I need two drain lines from the IBS? one for each leg? or would one work?
      I was going to put the drain thru hull right next to the ski locker drain, should I have any issues there?
      If I wanted to replace the ski locker lines with 1" and connect to the new thru hull, do I just put in a T from the thru hull going to separate pumps for each bag? do I need to do anything else?

I've already spent my budget and then some for this year, building new house and having a baby kinda puts a kink in my mods. So I'll be sourcing locally and online to find the best deals.

As always, help is appreciated.
    How are you planning on re-doing your system next year? I've found that the options for trying to utilize anything from your current G3 system is dismal.

fill thru-hull

The location of the fill thru hull matters most if you're continuing to use aerator pumps. the pumps need to be right off the thru-hull for priming and oriented in a way that will facilitate the priming. I've found that it was a PITA to find the space for multiple thru hulls with aerators because you have to have room for the ball valve and still have enough room to spin on the pump and not have the outlet port of the pump hit anything.

Hose size

You certainly can use that combo if you really wanted to. I guess it depends on what pump you're using to drain and how long you want it to take. and what your ultimate plan is for the future and whether you want to get by on minimal dollars now vs. spending more down the road if you want to up the line later. I went with T1200 pumps for fill and drain and 1" lines for fill and drain. I used the 3/4" existing drain lines for venting. I will tell you that going to 1" adds up quick, as you need new bag fittings, new thru-hulls, everything. If you're skittish about drilling holes drain/vent thru hulls you can always do check valves and Tee into existing thru hulls. However, another thru hull is cheaper than a check valve, so you're not saving money, you're saving holes.

One or two drain lines

Not totally sure on that one. At a minimum, you could go with two lines and tee it into one. But if you're using aerator pumps, why wouldn't you add a 2nd pump and have two lines? The extra price of a 2nd pump is marginal. just loop the drain line up as high on the gunwales as possible to prevent passive draining. I used 90 degree thru hulls so I could point my hose up a little.

New thru hull
    Again it depends on what kind of pumps we're talking about. if aerator, then yeah, you could go thruhull -> ball valve -> Tee -> pumps. If aerator pumps you'll want to make sure you have check valves after the pumps on the line to fill the bags, because otherwise the bags could drain passively out the bottom of the boat. In the factory system, the sprinkler valves stop that passive draining. but if you don't have sprinkler valves, then you'll need check valves.

By all means, let us know the direction you're going and your shopping list. If I know any ways to save you money, I'll be happy to give insight.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    I would recommend a reversible pump. Add the through-hull, go to the pump and then the center bag, move the drain to the front center port of the IBS and piggy back the IBS off of the center bag (where the drain was). The pump would be more expensive ($150 difference compared to 2x $25 pumps) but you only have to add a short hose from the center to the IBS and reuse all the other plumbing; the sum total might not be that different. If you run everything off of the sprinkler manifold system, your fill times will be pretty long. Getting the center and IBS off of that on it's own pump would really speed things up.

The only caution I'd have with mmandley's method is changing the fuse from 5 to 20A. It would really depend on how you have it wired. I wouldn't want that much current on one of those little wires. You would need to make the common connection at the fuse, not down the wire somewhere.
    I agree with this recommendation. By the time you buy 2 aerator pumps to drain, plus fittings and thru-hulls, you're close to the cost of a reversible. I went with dedicated aerator fill and drain pumps on my LSV because I wanted the better fill speed. It ultimately worked out great, but took a fair amount of tuning through trial and error. If I were to do it all over again I would have done 4 reversibles on 2 big thru-hulls and simplified the entire system.

Here is where I installed my thru-hulls:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....8275#post88275

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post

Greg is right that reversible is most certainly easier. I can show you where to get the Johnson reversible (albeit with the older style black impeller, not the orange) for $150 if you end up going that way...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    I agree with this recommendation. By the time you buy 2 aerator pumps to drain, plus fittings and thru-hulls, you're close to the cost of a reversible. I went with dedicated aerator fill and drain pumps on my LSV because I wanted the better fill speed. It ultimately worked out great, but took a fair amount of tuning through trial and error. If I were to do it all over again I would have done 4 reversibles on 2 big thru-hulls and simplified the entire system.

Here is where I installed my thru-hulls:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....8275#post88275
    It does take a lot more trial/error/tuning with aerators. that's for damn sure. I'm not sure if I had to do it over if I would have went reversible or not. I do know that aerators were a lot more install work. However, I am in the process of adding 'one last pump' to fill an underseat bag and possibly a bow underseat bag, and I went reversible for that one. so I'll have a hybrid system with 6 aerators and 1 reversible.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Thanks for all the feedback, I was out enjoying an inch of fresh snow this morning on top of ice. I already have a T800 aerator pump I was hoping to use, so thinking that would save me a little.

My initial plan for next season is to completely redo the system. I have 800 bags in each of the lockers and want to keep those, ski locker bag is as big as it can be (650 I think) and IBS is 550. I do not mind the idea of two thru hulls and then split to the pimps for each bag. Ideally I would like to have all four fill/drain independently without tying into the floor bag.

I have to buy the fittings for the IBS, so figured I would just do it right with 1" hose from the start.

So based on feedback, here's a thought with shopping list included.
    • 1" hose to run from stern to bow
      3/4" drain hose for each side of IBS (fills from the front, drains from each leg) I already have some, might even be enough!
      New thru hull in bilge area, what size would you recommend if next year I use this to run ski locker and IBS?
      T1200 pump to fill
      Ball valve after thru hull before pump
      T800 pump for the second 3/4" drain
      3/4" drain thru hulls
      1" fill bag fittings
      3/4" drain bag fittings

I do like the idea of a reversible, but I think I can do all of this for less than the $150 and still have decent fill and drain times.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold

If you're going to add a t1200, are you going to have it go directly into a bag? If so, you'll need a check valve.

Also, you'll want to use the one from Wakemakers that has the 1" threaded intake so that you can screw it directly onto the ball valve (or onto a 1" elbow if you don't have the vertical clearance)
    http://www.wakemakers.com/attwood-ts...200-short.html

I would think that a 1" thru hull would be fine and would be easier to integrate to ball valves and pump
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    If so, you'll need a check valve.
    Good call, will add it to the list. I was thinking 1" thru hull as well, should be good to fill two bags.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold