Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First oil change attempt...questions

Ok, so tomorrow I am going to attempt to change my oil as we are now sitting at 54+ hours. I have the remote oil filter so that should help. I have changed oil in cars about 753 times, never in a boat. I figured I could surely do it myself for way less than what the dealer charges. I almost choked when I heard the quote! Do you guys have any tips? I know I have to buy an extractor to get the oil out but where do I extract it from? Same place where you fill it? Can I get the extractor at Auto zone or Walmart? I seem to remember a pic on here at one time of someone's boat with oil draining into a pan from a tube that was coming out of the rear plug above the wakeplate?? Is that right or was I seeing things? Also I assume the owner's manual will tell me what kind of filter and oil to put in. Sorry for the questions....I'm a newb and at the rate we are racking up the hours I will probably have to do this at least once more this summer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

My remote drain hose wont fit out the transome drain. Back when I had a direct drive I could do that as the drain was right under the motor and that ws probly the cleanest oil change I ever performed.

I use a extractor and use the drain hose, simple to undue the cap and then stick the extractors hose down till it bottoms out. Filters easy to do-just like a car. Make sure to have a few rags under the filte to catch the spillage. Add some oil to the filter and reinstall.

I can not find the penzoil marine oil so ive been using the rotella brand and one of the name brand filters the auto parts has in stock
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

There should be a black hose with a brass plug on it clipped somewhere in the engine compartment. the none plugged end of this hose goes to the bottom of the oil pan. I have a pela 6000 and I run the small black hose from the pela 6000 down the larger black hose that goes to the bottom of the oil pan and extract it that way.

Oil weight is 15w40. I think indmar reccomends penzoil marine oil. Oil filter sizes are listed in a thread on the forum somewhere, if i were on my computer I would post a link for you

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

i am going to do the same very shortly.
    I bought this extractor,
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...view&from=grid

Rotella 15w 40 is currently 13 buck a gallon at wally world.

I bought a mobil 1 oil filter from autozone, the board clearly steered me away from Fram.
    wix is also a good brand and can find that at advantage auto ( after the fact find)
    watch docs video very helpful.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....l-Change-Video

check out post #6 for a list of filters
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ghlight=filter
    Last edited by jmvotto; 06-14-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Great tips guys thanks!

I found these in stock at Bass Pro...may pick one of them up tomorrow. Any thoughts on the two?

Manual: http://www.basspro.com/Trac-Fluid-Ex...0205457/141130

Auto: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...SELL_THUMBNAIL

Good call on steering away from Fram. apparently they use Cardboard inside instead of metal. I wouldn't use one either.

4 or 5 qts?

Can the oil be changed after it's been sitting or should it be warm? I've read a that it needs to be hot but when I called Bass pro to check if they had either instock before I drove the 50 miles over there the guy said it could be done with it cold.
    Last edited by E4NASH; 06-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Tow Rig:

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Rotella 15w 40 is currently 13 buck a gallon at wally world.
    DO NOT use synthetic right?

Tow Rig:

I believe the manual says no synthetic for a certain period of time to allow the rings to seat properly.

I also use a fake a lake and heat my engine up to operating temp to change oil.

FWIW, the 12v extractor from bass pro is junk IMO. I have one and spend more time messing with it to prevent a big mess of oil. I prefer the manual pump hands down.
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

You need to heat up the oil to engine temp them let it sit a couple minutes. dont use syntehic until 100 hrs according to the manual and you will need approximately 5.5 qts for the 340 or 345 surf engine.
    this is what i have read so far...
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by tnbrooks01 View Post
    I believe the manual says no synthetic for a certain period of time to allow the rings to seat properly.

I also use a fake a lake and heat my engine up to operating temp to change oil.

FWIW, the 12v extractor from bass pro is junk IMO. I have one and spend more time messing with it to prevent a big mess of oil. I prefer the manual pump hands down.
    Good to know...plus it is $20 cheaper too

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    You need to heat up the oil to engine temp them let it sit a couple minutes. dont use syntehic until 100 hrs according to the manual and you will need approximately 5.5 qts for the 340 or 345 surf engine.
    this is what i have read so far...
    Ok, sounds good. I have the 325.

Tow Rig:

I've tried draining the engine oil and pulling it out with the extractor. Draining seems to be the way to go for me. The extractor seemed to take longer, not to mention i made a mess with it. It works great on the transmission and v-drive, but i'll be draining my engine oil from now on. Good luck.
    Greg C.
    2012 MOJO