Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looks really good Sandm. I was worried when i saw that huge cut out you made for your sub, you got stones man LOL.

System is looking realy good and tight man. Waiting on the rest of the updates and a to hear what you think it sounds like.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I was worried too. surveyed that area for the better part of 3 hours before making the plunge to cut it out. mostly worried about structural parts, but doesn't look like that's a real factor, since the other side doesn't have the hump, and it's bonded real well to the hull with adhesive.

guess if I ever sell the boat, the hard part is done should someone decide to update/upgrade the sub.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

posted up here a while ago that I finished the install, but it was deleted during one of the weekends that the site crashed, so here ya go....

finally got it all installed. system basically followed the outline listed in the first post, except the skylons in the cabin didn't fit, so went with the polk db651's. they were a drop-in fit and took less than 1hr for all 6. longest time was soldering the wires to the connections.. easiest part of the upgrade by far..

this is about as clean as the wiring is going to get. def. not as neat as some of the car systems I have done, but with the limited space and the fact that it's buried in the nose of a storage cubby, really doesn't have to be iasca-perfect. it's clean and easy to trace and that's what matters. hate the fact that the rca's are so close to power, but I don't notice any noise.

added 2 volume controls. one controls the onboard bass processor of the rockford sub amp. doesn't vary the volume, but the impact of the sub. handy when going from a track that seems a little lite in the low end to a hip-hop track that is bass-heavy. second control is a simple pac lc3 gain for the tower amp. the bullets really project and don't think that the rest of the lake wants to listen to my music when we are just parked, so we have the ability to cut signal to the tower speakers when parked..

here's the transom remote installed:

and a pic of the display of the remote working.. funny thing. crutchfields site states that the old remotes will work with the new deck, but they are wrong. if you are going to upgrade to the new kenwood ipod/usb deck I did, you must replace the existing remotes. really didn't want to, but I do like the functionality of the new one. much better than the old ones. however remember, they are NOT interchangable. the connectors are different..

here's some shots of the new deck installed. it's awesome. if you can live without cd, this is the only way to go. nice handy place to store your ipod/usb drive out of the way(you can see the outlines of the trimring I had to make in the second pic. shows the difference in the old kenwoods and this one as far as footprint goes)...

couple shots of the display. can go from 4line to 2line and is completely customizable. very usb friendly when you have multiple files/tracks to sort thru. it can go between usb/ipod as random play, but it's a little slow when doing so, better to random on only one source at a time.

ok... so now it's all done. my overall impressions:
    cost came in at around $2500. this included the deck, 6 cabin speakers, 4 bullet hollowpoint towers, 1 jl 12w6 sub, 3 amps, and all the wiring and materials. bought most of the stuff off ebay all brand new except the bullets(from earmark- big thumbs up to them) and all the labor was my own. I was quoted almost $5.5k for this same system from a local shop, so I'm happy..
    the deck is is a much needed improvement over the factory kenwood. it's so much easier to use and set, has much more adjustment and the usb interface is very user friendly. don't know about the ipod usage as I don't have one (yet). overall, it was well worth the upgrade even with the extra cost of the transom remote. granted you can get better decks from alpine, kenwood excelon and others, but this has 4volt outputs and the ability to bypass the internal amps for a cleaner signal. overall a great value..
    the amps are solid, loud and don't get hot at all. even though they are not "marine" amps from wetsounds or the jl that everyone likes due to their class"d" operation, these will perform fine. good quality and a good value for the $$ when you shop around..

now on to the speakers...
    the polks have to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck upgrades I did. great sound, 10x better than the kickers that came out. much clearer, more midrange and they handle the power great.
    the bullets are phenomenal. they are a little "brighter" than the cabin speakers and are a little lacking in the midrange early on compared with a standard 6 1/2", but I think some of that has to do with the hlcd drivers. they are very loud. I was able to open the back man-door out the garage and walk to the back of the lot, approx. 60ft and they still sounded crystal clear at a moderate volume level. these will be oustanding on the lake. again, a little light in the midrange, and I wish I had the cans for the 770's, but overall, VERY HAPPY with the products and want to thank earmark for suggesting them, and you-da-man on here for turning me on to them...
    the jl sub is the largest sub I have ever used in a "car audio" application. I have used many high end 10's and a couple of 12's before, but nothing to this capacity and all I can say is wholly s$$t. it's WAY too much sub for the boat, but that's not a bad thing. it hits loud and hard and doesn't seem to ever run out of steam. I see a few dash bolts getting lost this summer.. really could have done the 10w6 and been fine, but I'm happy with this.

overall, I think I'll have one of the best systems on my lake this summer. real happy with how it came together and all the components seem to work well with each other and the power is more than sufficient to bring on the onset of hearing loss

I know there are many other stereo upgrades going on this winter and I hope everyone is as happy with theirs as I am with mine...

Thanks SandM. Looks great and i'm sure it sounds it too!!
    I itching to get mine going too. I've almost got all the parts in and can start to wrench

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Nice write up! looks like it turned out really nice. I'm really looking closely at the Kenwood deck and remote so when you get an opportunity let me know how the remote works with an Ipod.

PWI as usual...

I really like the tower control knob, i wish my 09 had that on it.....something simple and quick to adjust, i wonder if there is some way i can do this on mine?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Docdrs check out a pac1 volume control simple fix. I'll try to find a link later.

PWI as usual...