Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2007 Outback will it give a nice wake?

Looking at buying a 2007Outback I am looking for a family boat which we can do everything on as we all have different intrests when it come to water sports.Looking to knee board,tubing,skiing ect.My question is , will a Outback with a wake plate and ballest under the back seat produce a good enough wake for beginer to intermidate wake borders?
    Also would you be able to surf behind this kind of set up?

Please respond on experiences not theory?

Thanks I really enjoy the Moomba chat site

Yes, the Outback will get you to intermediate level and beyond. To surf you may need to add some additional ballast. Here's a pic of my surf wake on the 2000 O/B LS with about 1200 lbs. total:

My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

TXS Kaneboats looks like a decent wake for surfing.

Any buddy else want to put in there 2cents worth would appreciate it

Cheers

I personally would go with an LSV or any V drive because you stated you wanted a family boat. The V drive boats just allow for much more room for people and storage and if your like me every few years you will want that wake to get bigger which is easier to do with a V drive.

As for you question on the wakes, I have never ridden behind an outback or any direct drive Moomba, but I have ridden behind a few other brand direct drive boats and I think the wake is perfectly fine for beginners to intermediate riders. Like Kane said you can probably even go past that by adding more weight.
    2005 Mobius LSV

I have an 08 Outback with wakeplate and tower. The OB is more centered on skiing. With a few people in the boat and a ballast bag under the rear seat, the wake is OK for boarding. OK, meaning beginners and intermediate riders will have a progressive wake with enough size to learn basically every trick if they have good technique. It will take several people and a LOT of ballast to make the OB a surf machine. With 5 adults and my ballast, I can surf behind my boat.
    If you are coming from a I/O or outboard boat, you will be very happy. If most of your riding will be boading,tubing, or surfing, you should look a V drive models.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

That's well said, right there. If you do more boarding and surfing the V is the way to go. If you ski more, can't argue with the DD. I believe your original post said kneeboarding, tubing and skiing with an eye toward learning wakeboarding. The DD will work great for all that stuff and is easy to work on, etc. Don't forget to consider your tow vehicle too.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guinsha54 View Post
    I personally would go with an LSV or any V drive because you stated you wanted a family boat. The V drive boats just allow for much more room for people and storage and if your like me every few years you will want that wake to get bigger which is easier to do with a V drive.
    guinsha,
    Have you ever sat in an LS?

LS has huge amount of room. The only + in room on V drive is the wrap around couch. The LS has so much room! I am sure the DD outback does also.

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    guinsha,
    Have you ever sat in an LS?
    Yes, I have when I was shopping for a new boat about three years ago. I will admit that I didn’t look around the inside a whole lot probably due to my bias for a V-drive boat. I’m sure the actual storage area is basically the same when you compare a LS to a LSV my opinion that it’s more comfortable to put say 7 people in a V-drive than 7 in a DD.
    2005 Mobius LSV

Smile

I have an 07 Outback DD with No ballast but a wakeplate. I/we have improvised using 3 large tupperware containers and and 2 adults in the boat with aprox 750lbs in containers and made surfing work.As for wakeboarding when loaded like this it was awesome as well. To sum it up Yes it can be done and pretty decently as well.
    In the future i will add a fatsack and external pump to do this a little more practically as i am a skier first and have other priorities, but it is fun and the kids are interested so the rest will follow and i still get a ski boat. !!!