Default "Walk thru Transom"

Thought I would share this with the community. When I bought my LSV, I saw a Supra that had this padded walkway under the starboard sunpad. I liked the idea of having this board to walk on to save wear and tear on the sunpad, so I built and installed one on my LSV. I got some of the parts from the dealer (the hinges and the gas struts) and picked up the rest here and there. I just finished the install today and am happy with the way it turned out. See pics below.

Al

[/img]
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Really Nice !

Is it made from star-board or MDF ?

Is it only resting on the board screwed into the V-Drive surround ?

Is that sturdy enough?

-Joe

p.s. - Nice color choices for the boat.

<===

Thanks Joe.Great idea.Was worried about all my sons mates jumping in from the beach and damaging the vinyl.Will start looking for the gas struts tomorrow to get them ready when the boat arrives.

Is it made from star-board or MDF ?

Is it only resting on the board screwed into the V-Drive surround ?

Is that sturdy enough?
    Joe,

I used 1/2" Seaboard which is similar to King Starboard. On top of that, I glued a 1/4" thick "Elephant Bark" rubber mat from rubbercal.com.

UPDATE: The glue didn't hold up so I used industrial strength double stick tape from Home Depot and that did the trick.

It is resting on a 3/4" x 3/4" strip of the board that Moomba supplied to use as stand for the tower. It's some kind of plastic composite material as well. I screwed this strip of material to the aluminum "L" angle. I had to trim about 1/4" off top of the engine access panel (the hinged panel that folds down to access the engine). See the pic below, although it's a little hard to see since everything is black.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Great Idea! Looks Great!
    Contrary to popular belief, a boat does not run on "Thank Yous"

Can you post an drawing or building plan? And a list of materials. This looks great and should be a nice option to install

Can you post an drawing or building plan? And a list of materials.
    mvd,

It's going to be different from one model to another so you can't just follow exactly what I did. Plus, there's really not a whole lot to it. It's pretty straight forward but you've got to pay attention to the details. Such as, on my boat, I could not just mount the hinges to the gelcoat as that would not allow the board to open straight up. So I had to cut a strip of the starboard and use it as a spacer. You have to consider things like that as you contemplate the installation.

My suggestion is to visit a Supra dealer and look at one of the boats that has this feature from the factory. Take pics of everything so that you have a reference point.

As far as materials, here's a rough list:

- 1/2" King Starboard or Seaboard material. Do a search and ask them who their local distributors are. You can also use other materials but I wanted to stay away from wood. I got lucky and found local place that had a scrap piece about the size I wanted and they gave me a good deal.
    - struts - got them from the dealer. They can look it up for you.
    - hinges - same as the struts.
    - brackets for the struts - Overton's.
    - rubber mat - rubbercal.com, "Elephant Bark" product, 1/4"
    - stainless steel hardware - Home Depot

That's about it. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al, Get that boat over here!! I have to get this on my 06. I am a ass when it comes to dirty feet and walking on my interior. ...David. Oregon
    08 LSV, Z-5 CARGO, TANDOM AXLE CUSTOM WHEELS TRAILER.....HOME LAKE IS BILLY CHINOOK CENTRAL OREGON

Hi David,

I do plan to make a long weekend trip to Billy Chinook this summer. You are close to there, aren't you? I'll have to let you know when I'm coming so we can hook up. I can give you some tips on this project to make it a lot easier for you and in turn, maybe you can tell me some tips about Billy Chinook. It will be our first time there.

Take care.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV