Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014

IMO, a wakeboard boat is like a sports car, not a truck or tractor. So, let's compare our boats to that versus the Annual GDP, avg COLA, DJIA or any of those other fancy economic indicators. How about an American icon: the Chevrolet Corvette. It's mostly motor and fiberglass, maybe some leather vs vinyl and tires vs a prop, but bear with me.

According to msnautos.com/Kelley Blue Book, in 2001 a Corvette topped out at $16,805. Unfortunately, 2012 and 2013 numbers aren't posted, so we'll have to use 2011 just so our facts are straight/verifiable. Want to guess the number? Will it be double? More than that?

The published number for a 2011 Chevrolet Corvette is $95,733

That math works out to an increase of over 5.5 times. For something that gets you from Point A to Point B.

Still think SC/Moomba has gone up too much?

I think what many folks forget are two things:

1) R&D. We all like to see new boats, better performance, etc. and that is the result of R&D which costs money and, like marketing, is a cost passed to the consumer.

2) Supplier cost increases. Not just for the raw materials, but what can SC do if/when Indmar, Boatmate, Kicker and/or Kenwood decide to increase their price? It's one thing I've noticed with my boats - I get a bag full of owner's manuals.

I don't think you'll see prices fall - from SC or any of the wakeboat manufacturers. I would think that at some point it will have to hit a cap. But, I thought the same thing a few years ago when the boats were going for just over $100k and now a G23 is pushing $150k. And, people are buying them!

So, guess I'll hop off my soapbox now. FWIW - the "Super Moderator" moniker wasn't self-appointed. I have no idea where that came from and that designation has been given to all the current Mods.

source data:
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/de...model=Corvette

I can see your point about the sports cars comparison, but there is no way a 2001 Corvette topped out at under $17k. My 1999 Ford Contour SVT stickered for over $23k when new. Heck, my 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC stickered at over $24k when new.

I guess you were using used values, and ZR-1's don't count! For the base models the values are $13,595 and $33,655, so that is about 2.5 times in ten years.

I know that priced won't fall, I guess it is a pipe dream. I guess I just don't want Moomba to "forget where they came from" so to speak. I know this happens a lot with people and companies that become successful.

I chalk up anyone that buys a G23 or G25 in the "more money than brains club".

I was just picking on you Drew since you were the only Mods post I could see on my screen at the time.

Side note: I was curious about who had been around as long as me, and did some looking. Search tools can be fun for OCD folks like me. There are currently 18401 forum members; 452 have been active this year; and it looks like 24 of us active this year have been around since I joined (or before). Interesting. Looking at that I kind of wonder if the member list needs purging at some point? Does having all these inactive members eat up storage space?
    Last edited by NCSUmoomba; 06-12-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Pickle spork!
    OK help me out then whats the Difference in a Pickle Fork and Spork

Because when you talk Forks and Sporks the end is very similar but its the lower portion of a spoon not flat like a fork
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    OK help me out then whats the Difference in a Pickle Fork and Spork

Because when you talk Forks and Sporks the end is very similar but its the lower portion of a spoon not flat like a fork
    I don't think you can take it too literally. Just that there is a visual difference between the pickle forks like MC and Malibu vs. the more snub nosed Mojo and G's.

Okay, beating a dead horse and all...

2003 Corvette base MSRP $43,635
    2013 Corvette base MSRP $49,600

That is an increase in about 13.7% in ten years.

2003 Mobius LSV base MSRP $31,695
    2013 Mobius LSV base MSRP $51,680

That is an increase of about 63% in ten years.

Hmmmm... might be worse than I thought.

Just playing devil's advocate...

Also, all this fork and spork talk is making me hungry. Might be time for a trip to Bojangles for some fried chicken and dirty rice and look into this spork issue...
    Last edited by NCSUmoomba; 06-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I can see your point about the sports cars comparison, but there is no way a 2001 Corvette topped out at under $17k. My 1999 Ford Contour SVT stickered for over $23k when new. Heck, my 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC stickered at over $24k when new.

I guess you were using used values, and ZR-1's don't count! For the base models the values are $13,595 and $33,655, so that is about 2.5 times in ten years.
    Correct! I read that chart incorrectly. It looks like a 2001 MSRP was around $40k.

Drew just reposts the green piping.....and stop talking bout things we cant control....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Drew just reposts the green piping.....and stop talking bout things we cant control....
    Check FB. There is a pic there.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    Check FB. There is a pic there.
    Of just the piping.................
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

I knew i saw this pic before, when i saw it i was thinking thats weird because Drew's boat is Blue...

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]