setup:
    2008 lsv
    stock kenwood HU
    stock cabin kicker cabin speakers
    stock kicker amp 400.4?
    exile XM-9 1 pr on tower
    exile ZLD
    exile 800 for tower

while out the other day, noticed the sound was gone, thought my iphone had died, changed zld off aux to listen to radio on HU, no sound.

looked at HU and display says protect mode looked at iphone, still battery, plays when disconnected from zld

HU manual says that protect mode means speaker wires have crossed.

i have not been around to do much trouble shooting, but any ideas on what to look for? what would have caused this? anything?

thanks!
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

First check all your av cable connections. Pull them off and put them back on. Check your power supply all the way through. Pros?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    setup:
    2008 lsv
    stock kenwood HU
    stock cabin kicker cabin speakers
    stock kicker amp 400.4?
    exile XM-9 1 pr on tower
    exile ZLD
    exile 800 for tower

while out the other day, noticed the sound was gone, thought my iphone had died, changed zld off aux to listen to radio on HU, no sound.

looked at HU and display says protect mode looked at iphone, still battery, plays when disconnected from zld

HU manual says that protect mode means speaker wires have crossed.

i have not been around to do much trouble shooting, but any ideas on what to look for? what would have caused this? anything?

thanks!
    It doesn't appear that your HU is directly driving any speakers.
    It's doubtful that the HU could read crossed wires at the amplifier terminals.
    It's doubtful that one amplifier problem would impact the other amplifier.
    If it was the HU creating the issue, then you could still use the ZLD Aux direct.
    So what audio components in the signal path are common to the problem? Start by checking if the amplifiers are powering up. If not then they likely share a common breaker or fuse at the power source.
    CHECK THE VOLTAGE. You may have a loose ground or supply terminal as vibration in boats can take a toll.
    A hard reset on the HU won't hurt. Unplug the power, let it sit for 10 minutes and reconnect, or it may have a reset provision. This is a concern after a low voltage event.
    Never unplug and re-attach any audio connections without powering down everything first.

David

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Never unplug and re-attach any audio connections without powering down everything first.
    There's some great advice there. That should go in the Tip of the Week thread.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

David, you called it right on. I finally got some time to look last night. The HU is only connected to the ZLD. looked at the amps and no power to either. Could not find anything wrong at first. While hanging out at tie up today another guy crawled in and found a screw loose on the main power block. Tighten it up and boom. We were enjoying music via XM9.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

good call from David, thanks for helping out, heck this could help me out some day
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart