Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Closed

Right now my plan is to use heidis dads tandem axle flat bed trailer to transport it if they want to charge for shipping. From there I will just use a wheel barrow to cart a few slabs at a time to the backyard and repeat till I am done. I would like to get it done in 2 days, 3 pallets one day, 3 pallets the next, or 3 days with 2 pallets each day.

As far as keeping it alive, the nursery said to just water it every day for 30 mins for the first 2 weeks so that is my plan as of right now. I would love to wait till feb or march but with the dogs using the backyard to potty we need grass to prevent a filthy mess of dirt being tracked in multiple times a day.

As far a laborers go, it will be me and Heidi if she is off work but probably mainly me, I don't think we are going to have any money left to hire out any help and plus that just supports the illegal immigration problem lol.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Right now my plan is to use heidis dads tandem axle flat bed trailer to transport it if they want to charge for shipping. From there I will just use a wheel barrow to cart a few slabs at a time to the backyard and repeat till I am done. I would like to get it done in 2 days, 3 pallets one day, 3 pallets the next, or 3 days with 2 pallets each day.

As far as keeping it alive, the nursery said to just water it every day for 30 mins for the first 2 weeks so that is my plan as of right now. I would love to wait till feb or march but with the dogs using the backyard to potty we need grass to prevent a filthy mess of dirt being tracked in multiple times a day.

As far a laborers go, it will be me and Heidi if she is off work but probably mainly me, I don't think we are going to have any money left to hire out any help and plus that just supports the illegal immigration problem lol.
    Dude, you cant let dogs on the yard for a couple weeks. They will destroy it, the peaces need to set, and root in a bit.

Lucky you have small dogs, but when ours was installed the landscaper said, NO DOGS, NO PEOPLE for 2 weeks. The yard should be squishy feeling when you walk on it after its installed till the dirt under it hardens.

Also yea 30 minutes a day is fine to water, when its not the dead of a Texas Summer.

Just trying to give you some tips, so you don't kill the yard your spending so much on. Also honestly you need help laying the sod man.

They did mine in 2 days and it was 3 guys who do this for a living and my back yard was only 3 pallets.

Also something to think about, we left 18 inches of dirt boarder around the yard and fence. This allows it to be cut easier and trimmed easier then having it up along the fence. Plus is makes a nice area to plant flowers and such. Kicker is it can save you a lot of sod.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Just Closed

I just laid 150 pieces to cover up where I dug holes for the electric to my outdoor bar. I did the wheel barrel thing and it liked to kill me. load truck, unload truck to wheel barrel, push wheel barrel, unload WB, and lay grass. don't sound like a lot but it really is especially for 1 person. did mine when temp was 60 degrees and it felt like 100 by time I was done. them squares get heavy to after 60 or so!!

won't your builder add the grass into the loan? won't be but a couple grand and on a 30 year note your talkin a few bucks a month

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    I just laid 150 pieces to cover up where I dug holes for the electric to my outdoor bar. I did the wheel barrel thing and it liked to kill me. load truck, unload truck to wheel barrel, push wheel barrel, unload WB, and lay grass. don't sound like a lot but it really is especially for 1 person. did mine when temp was 60 degrees and it felt like 100 by time I was done. them squares get heavy to after 60 or so!!

won't your builder add the grass into the loan? won't be but a couple grand and on a 30 year note your talkin a few bucks a month

sent from my home phone
    a couple grand x 30 year loan = 4-5 grand...just doesnt seem like a good investment to finance grass for 30 years
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Default Just Closed

Dude don't plant St. Augustine. Having the choice to do what you want, you should plant some real grass like zoysia or something that actually looks and feels nice.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's Next?)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

Well, the good news here is that if you use her for labor she will, most likely, give you the ring back that you can then pawn and use that cash to hire some labor. Legal or not is up to you.
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 04-02-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Default Just Closed

a couple grand x 30 year loan = 4-5 grand...just doesnt seem like a good investment to finance grass for 30 years
    I wouldn't call in financing grass I'd call it financing your home. have some buddy's over and provide the beer and steaks then but your getting yourself involved in a huge project that I'm willing to bet takes more than 2-3 days

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Mike has some solid points on this topic.
    my .02, having laid a dozen or so lawns over the years..

you don't need to add anything on top of the soil if you have a good finegrade, but if not, some mulch/dirt will help it grow faster. most nurseries will deliver for free if you are ordering 2500sqft, but if you have fencing up, will only leave in the driveway. get 5 friends for a total of 6 and have 2 bring wheelbarrows. work in 2 man crews, one wheeling and one laying. you can do a lawn of this size in 3-4hrs tops. if you order the pallets all at once, lay it in a day. the longer it sits, the longer it takes to green up and "take" in the dirt. mike is right, no foot traffic or pets for 2 weeks. water 2-3x daily and keep wet. I'd recommend renting a lawn roller. only $20-30 for 1/2 day and roll when done. it'll make the seams less noticable and smooth any high spots.
    imo, $100 and a couple guys that wait in the home depot parking lot go a long ways. legal or not, they are not going away and if it saves your back and makes the job quicker, do it. having learned the hard way, doing it yourself is just plain crazy, especially with cheap labor plentiful. hire friends for beer or hire "those others" for cash. you will be thankful in the end.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Just Closed

Quote Originally Posted by kevkev View Post
    Dude don't plant St. Augustine. Having the choice to do what you want, you should plant some real grass like zoysia or something that actually looks and feels nice.
    I just found out about this stuff last night and will be looking into it much deeper. Definitely seems like the way to go!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Well, the good news here is that if you use her for labor she will, most likely, give you the ring back that you can then pawn and use that cash to hire some labor. Legal or not is up to you.
    Sage advice from Drew. Building a house can be rough enough on a marriage, let alone a marriage-to-be and throwing sod. Somehow my 20 year marriage survived 3 house builds (one self contracted & ~30% sweat equity), but this last one almost did it in when we dropped 33 pallets of sod in one weekend with only a half day's help of two friends. I know you're a young, strapping, invincible buck, but get as much help as you can find or afford.

If you've got the labor, getting all 7 at once may qualify you for free delivery with one of the wholesale companies (most comes from Wharton or Liberty areas & $ can be better), but you don't want pallets sitting idle for days, dying in the Texas sun. Remove the fence or whatever so the driver can drop the pallets spread out over the lawn so sections can be dropped near each pallet. Otherwise, a few pallets spread out over a few days isn't too bad.

Like most projects, good results depend on the prep - good soil will help, but not necessary as long as the fill isn't total garbage. The quantity may be reduced if future landscaping, decking, fencing, etc, are considered & you won't later curse ripping up the grass you worked so hard to lay in the first place. Also, make sure the grade is crowned and smooth for good drainage.

Oh, thanks for not asking - I'll be busy that weekend!
    89 Supra Saltare Restoration Project