Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Newbie needs advice - LSV or XLV

I have been doing quite a bit of research and after wandering all over the place have narrowed my next boat - well really first - not sure you can count 200+ hp PWCs as a boat down to a Moomba Mobius. I am now trying to decide on which one, the LSV or the XLV.
    My concern is that a lot of people seem to move from the "smaller" to "bigger" boats as an often cited reason for selling. I really want my first acquisition to be something I can be happy with for a long time.
    Here are a few considerations...
    The boat will spend a vast majority of it's time on Lake Entiat and be used for water sports - some skiing, more tubing, knee boarding, wake boarding, wake surfing. We don't have a lot of experience doing much other than skiing, tubing, and knee boarding with the little ones, but excited to get out there and experience it all.
    We have 4 kids, a big extended family (lots of nieces/nephews) and many friends. Our group tends to "multiply with water" The wive wants "room for everyone" - this partly makes me lean towards the bigger XLV, but I really do not have an appreciation for the actual size difference. My friend let us take out his XLV a couple of weekends ago and it fit a big crew nicely - 5 smaller kids up front 7 adults in the main area.
    Lake Entiat has no marina's with fuel, so it's a matter of filling up with gas cans = fuel capacity consideration, but then does the bigger boat with bigger tank just compensate for the larger size and weight, or can you actually run longer?
    My winter storage would be in my garage - an older home with 7' tall garage doors and 107 1/4" width. It's going to be a tight fit through the door -it may or may not require removal of the tower and/or deflating the tires a bit to get it through the door. I have 8' 9" clear once you are through the door and it is 2 1/2 cars deep, so length isn't a consideration.
    I really like the playpen feature that seems to be prevalent on the XLVs, although I have seen at least one LSV with the Bow fill in cushion, but didn't know if those are readily available from Moomba or the after market.
    I also notice that the number of LSV's outnumber the number of XLVs. This seems to be reflected in price and availability and the XLV's seem to be in Texas, Florida, MN, or the Northeast which is a fair distance from Washington State (transportation costs). I am not looking to buy a boat this season, unless the right opportunity came along.
    Speaking of opportunities, I have been watching the following boat
    http://www.welfringerwholesale.com/v...v-1609053.cfml
    and would have an opportunity to see it tomorrow if I decide to drive an hour from Portland (where I will be tomorrow). Is it worth 3 hours out of my life to look at an LSV or should I be concentrating on finding the right XLV? He has slowly lowered his price over the last few weeks and I believe it is still available because he seems to be high (NADA suggests 4 to 5K too high - any thoughts on price?)
    That's likely enough info to get the conversation started.
    My max budget is in the low 30's, with the potential to go higher for the perfect boat...
    I am really looking forward to joining the Moomba family!

Default Re: Another Newbie needs advice - LSV or XLV

I went from a 20' bow rider to a 24' Supra and I love all that extra space. I had 12 out last weekend and will have 12 others out this weekend. I was initially worried about it being too big to trailer, store, etc. But none of that has turned out to be a problem. I pull it with my Grand Cherokee easily. It has a great wake for wakeboarding and surfing and it rides awesome!
    To be fair, it does use some gas but we knew that going into it.
    My thinking is you will never regret a larger boat but you might regret a smaller one.
    2005 Supra 24 SSV
    Lake Lewisville, Lake Leon
    Texas

Doing your research I see.

Bottom line - I personally have never heard anyone complain that their wakeboat is too big. Too Small? Yep.

In the Pac NW we rarely if ever have any size restrictions on lakes or rivers. Sounds like off water storage is not a problem for you either with a bigger vs. smaller boat.

XLV is rated for 16 I believe. LSV is 12? I can relate to the add water = family grows situation. Bigger is better in this case. Not only for seating but also storage. Storage space will be a HUGE consideration in your future based on your description.

Most love the playpen front of an XLV. However that will limit your front ballast options if you get to the point where you want to run really heavy. The tradeoff is that the belly or basement storage on the XLV is awesome and you can fit an 1180 ballast bag in there. The LSV just has the smaller ski locker and more limited ballast options there. With no playpen front, the LSV can do an IBS (integrated bow sac) where that wont' really work on the XLV.

LSV is probably more prevalent since more people can find storage for a 22' boat vs a 24' boat. Plus the MSRP to get into a new LSV was less in the day.

The XLV ski wake might be a bit of a hill for you, but if you're just a sport skier you'll manage!

I've been in both several times and personally would go XLV any day and not look back. Keep looking.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by baberger View Post
    (NADA suggests 4 to 5K too high - any thoughts on price?)
    I don't know much about the current market for XLVs but my opinion in general is that NADA is always lower than what I would consider market price. My guess is that the smaller market for boats forces NADA to under-price them a bit.

4-5k over NADA is probably getting close to fair market price. Use onlyinboards and boattrader to pull a bunch of comps across the nation to get a feel for the market.

FYI, a 2008 LSV with 78 hours would likely sell around that same price (34900). I'd almost be thinking "why is this so cheap?"
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I do know that it is a bank repo, but according to the seller... "you can sell that this was someone's baby"
    I guess these guys pick them up through the banks or at auction and likely get pretty good deals on them.

Default Another Newbie needs advice - LSV or XLV

I love my XLV. I can tell you that the tower has to come off to fit under a 7' garage door.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Plus one on the xlv, my bias. Go big or go home. Lol
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Bought XLV earlier this year love the space and storage. I've never been in a LSV though.

Default Re: Another Newbie needs advice - LSV or XLV

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Doing your research I see.

Bottom line - I personally have never heard anyone complain that their wakeboat is too big. Too Small? Yep.

In the Pac NW we rarely if ever have any size restrictions on lakes or rivers. Sounds like off water storage is not a problem for you either with a bigger vs. smaller boat.

XLV is rated for 16 I believe. LSV is 12? I can relate to the add water = family grows situation. Bigger is better in this case. Not only for seating but also storage. Storage space will be a HUGE consideration in your future based on your description.

Most love the playpen front of an XLV. However that will limit your front ballast options if you get to the point where you want to run really heavy. The tradeoff is that the belly or basement storage on the XLV is awesome and you can fit an 1180 ballast bag in there. The LSV just has the smaller ski locker and more limited ballast options there. With no playpen front, the LSV can do an IBS (integrated bow sac) where that wont' really work on the XLV.

LSV is probably more prevalent since more people can find storage for a 22' boat vs a 24' boat. Plus the MSRP to get into a new LSV was less in the day.

The XLV ski wake might be a bit of a hill for you, but if you're just a sport skier you'll manage!

I've been in both several times and personally would go XLV any day and not look back. Keep looking.
    Also remember that you are seeing al kinds of dedication to the sport on this site but there are plenty of us who won't be putting fat sacks on our front and side seats for a bigger wake. The playpen bow is not really a restriction; it also gives you a way to secure the kids up front and let the back be a little more adult. Unless there are bikinis, then put them up front so you can see them while you drive!
    Go 24'!
    2005 Supra 24 SSV
    Lake Lewisville, Lake Leon
    Texas

For pricing the XLV should be more then your typical LSV, part of that drives the price down on boats over 22 is size vs space and a vehicle to pull them.

The market for larger boats is smaller then the market for 22 and under.

Buying Repo is fine as long as you can look the boat over yourself. Lots of people get there boats repoed due to economy, and took great care of them.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]