Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Lets make this a little easier for you and me both. I think this is what we're looking for.

past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

Its all true what Phil said as an industry standard for surface area measurement. I won't recalculate because it really won't change the comparisons enough to matter. But we get the idea.

David
    Earmark Marine

I like Pecan Pi
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

One question to you guys about your subs. I had quite a time in my Outback getting a good place for my 10" sub. It wound up under the driver's seat in a custom built box (measured, built and trimmed to match the boat by me) and works very well there. But getting the right size box to mount it in and all to get proper bass was quite a chore. How have you guys gone about building your boxes for your subs or do you not use boxes at all?
    Gordon White
    2003 Moomba Outback

We ended up mounting under the driver's helm. We really didn't want to give up much foot room so we built one that mounts onto the hump in the floor. Dusty spent quite a bit of time getting a box that was big enough size wise but small enough not too take up too much room.

Final result was a 12" in a sealed enclosure about 1.1 cu ft. The box is behind the carpeted facia and doesn't go all the way to the ground so you retain all the legroom.

Last edited by KG's Supra24; 12-09-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Inliner,
    That is a good question. Depending on the model, many Moombas and Supras present more of a subwoofer challenge than other inboard brands due to the pronounced floor hump.
    You ALWAYS want to determine the limitations of your enclosure before deciding on a specific subwoofer driver...and possibly the method of loading whether it be acoustic suspension, bass reflex or other. A 10-inch in an optimum enclosure can in many ways outperform a 12-inch in a compromised enclosure and it would be the same with any other size to size comparison. While the subwoofer's size or surface area will impact the output, past a certain point it will be the enclosure that is mostly responsible for the low bass extension.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Inliner View Post
    It wound up under the driver's seat in a custom built box \
    How on earth did you fit a sub under the seat?! Did you mean under the dash? Post pics!
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    How on earth did you fit a sub under the seat?! Did you mean under the dash? Post pics!
    Sorry, I misstated Ian. It is under the dash mounted the same way KG's is. I measured for sub and box size and the largest I could fit is 10". I have a Polk Audio 10" marine sub in mine (I believe Polk discontinued the MM10). I built the box myself and sealed it properly planning around the cavity and required air space needed for proper reverb. I power it with a 350 watt marine amp. The 6 speakers around the boat are Kicker marines and powered by an 1100 watt Kenwood amp. The only thing I wish I had is an Ipod port. My head unit is an older Kenwood unit with no Ipod port and I think when the time comes to replace it I will go to a new style head. If you want photos Ian I am doing some work on the boat this weekend and will shoot some for you.
    Last edited by Inliner; 12-10-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    Gordon White
    2003 Moomba Outback

Gordon,
    Any chance that your existing HU is a changer controller? If so there are adapters that will convert the changer input to a clean auxilary input.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Inliner View Post
    Sorry, I misstated Ian. It is under the dash mounted the same way KG's is. I measured for sub and box size and the largest I could fit is 10". I have a Polk Audio 10" marine sub in mine (I believe Polk discontinued the MM10). I built the box myself and sealed it properly planning around the cavity and required air space needed for proper reverb. I power it with a 350 watt marine amp. The 6 speakers around the boat are Kicker marines and powered by an 1100 watt Kenwood amp. The only thing I wish I had is an Ipod port. My head unit is an older Kenwood unit with no Ipod port and I think when the time comes to replace it I will go to a new style head. If you want photos Ian I am doing some work on the boat this weekend and will shoot some for you.
    Does it look like this;

That's a 10" L7 in my Outback
    2013 Outback V