Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To better help you with your answer I did some searching on the net. I see you posted this say question in several areas. Which I think is a good thing. I did notice a few things. It think the engines are the same HP. Just one person referred to size (cubic inches) and the other referred to HP. Make sure you look at who you are asking what questions. No matter what its hard not to suspect some bias or un-informed responses.

Mastercraft owners will say their boat is best.
    Moomba owners will say, just as good as others but no name flashing so the price is lower.

The big thing between companies is the details in the finishing. MC and Moomba use the same engine supplier. I think most to all boats use the same company for control parts. MC might use more stainless or aluminum instead of fiberglass or plastic which makes the cost differ.

I would look at personal preferences. Each boat has lots of life yet. Colors and styling. If low hrs are important, then MC. My 03 Outback only had 85 hrs at 7 yrs old when I purchased and it has been good for me. Or if newer model has your interest, then Moomba.

For me name brand or resale was not an issue. Remember these not investment, they are B.O.A.T.s (bust out another thousand), a hobby, a recreational vehilce. They serve no pratical purpose other than enjoyment.

I would also look at the seller. Which one make me feel more comfortable and confident.

I would look at it more like a GM truck. Do I want a GMC or a Chevy. Both do the same thing with the same engine.

And to note I am Moomba Bias unless I would ever buy something different.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Is the Mastercraft carbureted? If the Moomba is fuel injected definitely go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Suprahunter View Post
    Is the Mastercraft carbureted? If the Moomba is fuel injected definitely go that way.
    I think both the MCs are fuel injected. Is the 2005 Moomba Outback carbureted? I thought it was.

I think Nada values is a good starting point on negotiations with the price point. just because someone is agreeing to what you will pay does not mean you have to buy it. I think your will like what ever you get as like a couch once it is home you don't have the other to compare it too. Its a feel good thing....definitely the moomba is newer big plus , but the mc has the 350 hp engine? not sure as I'd confirm this as I am a barefooter and thats a big plus. what are the top speeds ? that will tell ya more. If its the same wot mph then I would go with the moomba, I think no matter how you cut it it will be worth more if you decide to trade it in on a newer boat down the road....jmo
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I was in as similar dilemma. I had an opportunity to buy a pristine 2002 MC, fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. Beautiful boat for a fair price. Then I came across my 07 outback V. I know, not apples to apples but I have no regrets buying the newer 'value' boat for a bit more money. That 2002 is still for sale.
    07 Outback V

Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Replicant View Post
    I was in as similar dilemma. I had an opportunity to buy a pristine 2002 MC, fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. Beautiful boat for a fair price. Then I came across my 07 outback V. I know, not apples to apples but I have no regrets buying the newer 'value' boat for a bit more money. That 2002 is still for sale.
    I wish there was a V near the price I am looking at. I haven't found any except 2000 and '99 Malibu's with bad interiors which made the boats seem poorly taken care of.

If you want a V drive, then wait until you can find a V-drive. Don't just "settle" for something that you don't really want. The hassle of buying and selling a boat in a year or less isn't worth it.

Be patient and keep looking, you will find something that is right for you.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

second that. a dd and vdrive are somewhat 2 different boats for 2 different markets.
    you mentioned that you will spend most of your time tubing. guessing(and just a guess) that you will have a lot of kids on board? if that is the case, I'd hold out for the right vdrive. they will appear to have much more room and, imo, are a much more "social" boat as you don't have that engine cover in the middle of the boat.
    if you are truly wanting a vdrive and buy a dd, you will kick yourself when that vdrive you wanted comes to market in a month. v's will be more money, but like max said, do it once and get what you want
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Buying the vdrive now will be less overall than selling your ddrive and buying a vdrive in a year or 2. imo
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

There's a reason you found two decent DD boats and can't find a V drive one. Stay ready so when one comes up you can jump on it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!