Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is 175 x 2 RMS enough for a pair of WS Pro 80s?

I know that the specs say 200W RMS, and I am sure that the Wetsounds can take that if not more, but for anyone underpowering these, what are your thoughts? I don't want to cheapen my Wetsounds experience, but I'd like to keep using my Kicker 350.4.
    Jason

2022 Mojo

I'm using the same amp for my Pro 60s. Ideally you'd want to match them up but I'm sure they'd be fine for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

I run a Rockford Fosgate P500-2 which is 125 rms x 2 for my pro80's. I asked my friend what I should get in the "budget" area and he pointed me to this. seems to work but i have no comparison to someone with an actual boss stereo system. ive never heard a syn amp matched up with a ws hlcd.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Ideally you would want a more powerful amp with power and headroom. That will work but will feel or sound like its working too hard if up want it loud. My non pro opinion.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by Dubwake21 View Post
    I know that the specs say 200W RMS, and I am sure that the Wetsounds can take that if not more, but for anyone underpowering these, what are your thoughts? I don't want to cheapen my Wetsounds experience, but I'd like to keep using my Kicker 350.4.
    Let me ask you this first. If this system is up and running, is it meeting your expectations?

No, I am currently running Kicker double barrels at 60RMS x 4. And since they are co-axial, I would like something more.
    Jason

2022 Mojo

Plus/minus 25 watts isn't going to be audible as a power ratio in this case. Like mentioned above that amplifier will definitely work in the short term. Keep in mind that you are having to bridge that amplifier to get the 175 watts times two so there isn't going to be much headroom. In other words, you'll be running at redline to drive the Pro80s. I would recommend a larger amplifier down the road.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Plus/minus 25 watts isn't going to be audible as a power ratio in this case. Like mentioned above that amplifier will definitely work in the short term. Keep in mind that you are having to bridge that amplifier to get the 175 watts times two so there isn't going to be much headroom. In other words, you'll be running at redline to drive the Pro80s. I would recommend a larger amplifier down the road.

David
    Earmark Marine
    This is exactly where I was going with my earlier question. 175W to each is good power, but you are asking that amp to run with the peddle floored so to speak, just to get it. If you want to get the most out of those speakers, get a larger 2 chnl or 4 chnl thats going to meet or exceed the RMS. This will give you good clean volume with a little head-room as David mentioned.

Thanks guys. And how does the 5V line driver boost from the WS 420 play into gain/powering these speakers?
    Jason

2022 Mojo

Well, the Wetsounds EQ will definitely help with the signal quality besides all the other obvious benefits. However, the EQ's built-in line driver will not impact the amplifier power output in any way or form.
    Btw, the Wetsounds WS420 EQ is actually six discrete 5 volt preouts which is very rare among EQs. Most drive the in-boat zone and the tower zone with the same 2-channel preout driver and simply split it with a preamp fader.

David
    Earmark Marine