Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default Mojo Surf Ballast Setup

As mentioned in many posts this year, our family REALLY enjoyed surfing behind our 2012 Mojo this season! With help from Moombadaze and Spencer from Wakemakers and stealing ideas from lasvboombox, by the end of the season we got the ballast system figured out. I believe that this setup will work for the 2013 Mojo as well as the 2013 LSV.

My objectives for the system were as follows:

1) Provide a "better than good" regular surf wave.

2) Entirely hidden.

3) No additional pumps, drilling into the hull, etc.

4) Controlled from the driver's seat.

5) Reasonable fill time.

Using a tsunami pump & throwing bags around the boat for the first half of the season, we found the best wave was achieved by weighting the boat as follows:

1) 1,100 lb sac full in port locker

2) 370 lb "tube" sac full under port seats

3) 1,100 lb sac about 40% full in starboard locker

4) 450 lb stock, center hard tank full

5) 650 lb bow sac full

Yep, that's just over 3,000 lbs of ballast. The 345hp Indmar surf motor has no problem getting the Mojo up on plane.

Here is an overview of the system I set up. The blue are fill lines, and the red are vent lines.

The port (or left "L") pump fills/empties the port 1,100 and 370 tube sac. The fill line is simply "T'd" and the line for the 370 runs under the 1,100. The 370 is vented back into the top port on the 1,100 and the 1,100 is vented thru a check valve out the side of the boat. If I do not want to use the 370, I filled a connection with epoxy and can easily cap the fill ine off.

The starboard (or right "R") pump fills/empties the starboard 1,100 sac. No mods done to the factory fill and simply added a check vavle to the vent line.

The center ("C") pump fills/empties the center hard tank and the IBS. At the point the factory tank vent lines runs out from under the floor in the bow storage, I installed the Bosworth directional Y valve. If I choose not to run the IBS, I can vent the center tank out the side. If I want to run the IBS, I rotate the valve and the center tank vents into the IBS. The IBS vent line is "Y'd" back into the factory vent line with a check valve installed.

Last edited by wolfeman131; 10-16-2012 at 02:54 PM.

It starts here, the box o' goodies from Wakemakers

Bags laid out on the dock: left to right - 650 bow sac, 370 tube sac, 1,100 rear locker bag, 1,100 rear locker bag

Last edited by wolfeman131; 10-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.

First install step was the port locker plumbing. After some experimentation of using the port pump for the 1,100 and the starboard pump for the 370 tube, I realized that the boat really needs some weight in the off side to get a great wave. I also realized that by designing the system where the center vent would fill the IBS, that my fill time was going to be dictated by that total 1,100 lbs so running the 1,100 locker bag and 370 tube together wasn't going to cost me too much additional time.

pic from inside port locker towards bow and fill line hooked up to 370 tube sac

1,100 in port locker full

370 under port seats full

whats with all the empty coolie cups.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Plug I made by filling a fitting with epoxy.

Plug installed at the end of the 370 fill line. I thought this was a simple solution vs another valve. We keep it in the glovebox for when/if it's needed.

Note the boo-boo on my thumb above! That was the result of NOT being patient and waiting for the hair dryer to heat up the tubing well and instead trying to push, twist and muscle crank it on. Take your time and let the tubing heat up, then have some towels or light gloves on to work the tubing over the fittings.

Starboard side was next and was easiest as all I did was install a check valve on the vent line.

Last edited by wolfeman131; 10-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Finish it up with the IBS. I cut the factory center hard tank vent line just as it comes out of the floor in the starboard bow storage area. It's tight in there and the Mojo storage compartments are deep. So, another word of caution, have somebody around to pull you're fat arse outta there. I was on my back installing the check valve & vent line and popped right into that hole. I had to wiggle and squiggle to get turned back around to get out of there. You may also want to start with the bow so you're not too many beers into the job.

I pre-measured all my lines and installed the IBS fill and the vent lines to the valve before attaching the valve to the center vent line. From the left is the vent line if you're only using the center tank and no IBS, from the middle is the fill to the IBS and from the right is the incoming center tank vent/fill line.

everything hooked up.

The vent off the top of the IBS is tricky. Since the center hard tank vent is a 1 in line, you need to order a 1 inch Y connector (it's listed as 1 1/8 in on Wakemakers) and a 1 in check valve. I missed that it was 1 in the first time and ordered all 3/4 in parts. Sorry for the bad pic below, but you can see the larger check valve leading to the thru hull vent. That is the only connection I put a hose clamp on. I thought "just in case" it would be easier to get to remove that versus a crimped connection.

pic of the IBS installed, but not filled. It had been filled as you can see from the missing cupholders. I ordered the bow cushion which means these are normally covered anyway, so no worries.

Finished, filled and leaning.

time and money spent on his project sir

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    time and money spent on his project sir

sent from my home phone
    Yeah, this is my plan this offseason too. I like your use of the Directional Y Valve vs. the Distribution manifold I was thinking about using...much cheaper and I can hide it in more places. I'm planning on running an IBS and 1100's in the rear. I already have the 370's under each side seat. Gonna need a new prop though for sure!!
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

E - let me know when you plan to do this and I will bring the crimp tool home for you to use. I really like the factory look versus the hose clamps and you avoid the sharp edges.