Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailering Boat help required

I'm having the following issues trailering my boat.

1. If I position the trailer with the top of the fenders just above the top of the water line I can barely get the front of the boat to the front stop/roller. It seems that I need to use a combination of throttle and hand winch to get the bow on the roller (not very save). If I try to use just the hand winch, it seems to hard to slide the boat up to the stop. I just broke the strap yesterday winching it up. The strap seamed pretty worn/weathered at the end. Just bought a new strap today.

2. If I position the trailer deeper in the water, top of fenders below water line, it's easy to power, or winch the boat on to the trailer, but the rub rail hits the front stop and I have to move the trailer out of the water some. The front stop seems to high.

Anyone else run across this issue? If so what is the fix?

Would there be some sort of link to a website explaining any adjustments required to resolve this issue?
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

Default Trailor Position on Boatramp

The 2010 Moomba Outback manual suggests putting the trailor in the water so that the fenders are about 1" below the water but that ramp angles will impact this - on my ramp I found that I had to go some deeper or the bow would try to come in under the bow roller. The boat is new for me so I'm suspecting that I will need to find the "sweet spot" at my ramp - would be more of an issue if I routinely used a number of different ramps.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

Yep - Mine is the exact same, but I haven't found it to be that big of a deal. We will occasionally have it backed in just the exact right amount, to where the rub rail will be perfectly positioned, but it's just a matter of luck.

I prefer to back in with the fenders under water. I refuse to power onto my trailer, since our launch is ruined by people who have done that, and built up a wall of dirt that my tracking fins will hit when loading.

I just drift onto the trailer until it comes to a stop, and get out of the boat over the bow, and winch it the rest of the way. When i get a couple of inches from the winch, if the rub rail is a little too low, I'll have the truck driver pull forward about a foot and finish it off.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by LakePerson1952 View Post
    The 2010 Moomba Outback manual suggests putting the trailor in the water so that the fenders are about 1" below the water but that ramp angles will impact this - on my ramp I found that I had to go some deeper or the bow would try to come in under the bow roller. The boat is new for me so I'm suspecting that I will need to find the "sweet spot" at my ramp - would be more of an issue if I routinely used a number of different ramps.
    I'm sure ramp angle was my biggest issue yesterday. Maybe if I put the trailer in deep enough for the rub rail in the bow to line up just above the bow stop of the trailer. Almost seems like a trial and error sort of thing.

Thanks for the input.

Ron

My experience has been that deep launches you don't want to back in as far, shallow launches you do. Definitely a trial and error sort of thing. Since different ramps ramps have different angles I watch my front set of bunks more than my fenders - stop when the water is covering them about half way or so. That's usually right on or real close to my sweet spot and I haven't winched on in years.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Thanks people.

Just got the boat last fall, and previous owner warned me about the rub rail issue. All my previous boats were MUCH lighter, and I could easily winch them in.

So, trial and error it is. I'll work toward the "drift onto the trailer until it comes to a stop" method. I didn't like "powering the boat in", but it seems that's how every one here with larger boats seems to get them onto the trailers. Some of them seem so rough that I'm amazed that everything holds together on either boat or trailer.

Ron

When pulling ur boat out of the water u should dunk your whole trailer in water to wet the bunks... it will help slide a little better and make ur carpet last longer.

And i agree with above comment about power loading.. it destroys launch ramps....
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 07-18-2011 at 07:36 PM.

As mentioned, the angle of your ramp plays an important role. For me, the tops of the fenders at the water line. I also dunk the trailer deep to wet the bunks prior to loading.

The height of your hitch can be important too. If your trailer hitch could be dropped some, in will help the bow roller come down. I run the same boat as you, when I changed tow vehicles, the new one had a hitch slightly lower, which helped.

If you really want try a product, look at a spray called, Liquid Rollers. Never tried it myself. Its a spray you put on the bunks to reduce friction. Demo video, http://youtu.be/eTNe5mJMF_s
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopskier View Post
    As mentioned, the angle of your ramp plays an important role. For me, the tops of the fenders at the water line. I also dunk the trailer deep to wet the bunks prior to loading.

The height of your hitch can be important too. If your trailer hitch could be dropped some, in will help the bow roller come down. I run the same boat as you, when I changed tow vehicles, the new one had a hitch slightly lower, which helped.

If you really want try a product, look at a spray called, Liquid Rollers. Never tried it myself. Its a spray you put on the bunks to reduce friction. Demo video, http://youtu.be/eTNe5mJMF_s
    Absolutely, it can. Such an obvious potential solution. Still banging my head against the wall for not thinking of it. Will definitely try this. I think I can drop the hitch by 4". Just curious how much extra weight this puts on the hitch. I don't suspect it will make too much of a difference.

Unfortunately, got to wait until weekend. Boat is at father in laws about an hour and a half drive.

I really appreciate all the help. Thanks.
    Last edited by rsinger; 07-18-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Ron

I applied liquid rollers to the front two bunks and the front half of the middle two bunks. This way where the front of the boat rubs while loading and unloading is slick allowing for little stress on the winch but the rear of the boat once out of the water still has friction on the bunks to reduce stress on the winch while towing. I found this works really well
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD