Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tow Rig

Default New Tow Rig

There is so much that goes into fuel consumption. Is there a head wind? Are you driving in hills? Stop and go traffic? Any type of lift/leveling kit will reduce mileage. How you drive plays a big role, there are so many variables on individual mileage it's hard for everyone to get the same.

That being said the new Chevy may get better mileage but to achieve the "best in class fuel mileage" you are making some HEAVY sacrifices. You end up with a 5.3 L V8 with like 3.06 gear and a max towing capacity of like 6,000 lbs and it's an absolute dog.

Of all the half ton engine options the ecoboost is still the best combination of towing power and fuel mileage.

Look of TFL truck, they do real world testing of the major trucks going up the Ike gauntlet is Colorado. They recently just mashed up the new silverado with the 6.2, the ford ecoboost, and a Nisan Titan and hooked them to a 10,000 lb trailer and ran them up and down the hill. The ford posted the best time up however the Chevy 6.2 did very well on the down hill with its engine braking. (The measure rotor temps at the bottom)

I am one of those people who says so what if you have a few problems, that's what the warranty is for. Most major malfunctions will be found before the warranty expires and be fixed, that's what warranties are for.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    There is so much that goes into fuel consumption. Is there a head wind? Are you driving in hills? Stop and go traffic? Any type of lift/leveling kit will reduce mileage. How you drive plays a big role, there are so many variables on individual mileage it's hard for everyone to get the same.

That being said the new Chevy may get better mileage but to achieve the "best in class fuel mileage" you are making some HEAVY sacrifices. You end up with a 5.3 L V8 with like 3.06 gear and a max towing capacity of like 6,000 lbs and it's an absolute dog.

Of all the half ton engine options the ecoboost is still the best combination of towing power and fuel mileage.

Look of TFL truck, they do real world testing of the major trucks going up the Ike gauntlet is Colorado. They recently just mashed up the new silverado with the 6.2, the ford ecoboost, and a Nisan Titan and hooked them to a 10,000 lb trailer and ran them up and down the hill. The ford posted the best time up however the Chevy 6.2 did very well on the down hill with its engine braking. (The measure rotor temps at the bottom)

I am one of those people who says so what if you have a few problems, that's what the warranty is for. Most major malfunctions will be found before the warranty expires and be fixed, that's what warranties are for.

Sent from my iPhone
    I watched those comparisons too but I saw a different view of what happened.

The uphill climb is a Farce. Think about it, they are going a Predetermined distance with a max speed of 60mph. All the Ecoboost won was accelerating up to 60. once your at 60 the distance of the climb is the same. I found that test to not make any of the 3 look good or bad.

The braking going downhill, well the trailer was different temps each truck, and when the Eco pulled it the temps were like 118 which tells me the trailer didn't brake at all really. The Eco did it all. What I did like is the Eco had similar brake temps at all four wheels showing it really is balancing the braking power.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Eco to be the best but I think that uphill test would have been better proven if they compared RPM, Throttle position, and Acceleration times with a Load from 0-60. Then you are really testing the pulling of the truck. Showing its torque for acceleration, how hard the engine is working by its throttle position and RPM.

I agree with you Dave on the mileage, its all relative your environment. No different then my exact same truck gets 3mpg better in AZ then in OR, its because its a lot flatter there LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default New Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I watched those comparisons too but I saw a different view of what happened.

The uphill climb is a Farce. Think about it, they are going a Predetermined distance with a max speed of 60mph. All the Ecoboost won was accelerating up to 60. once your at 60 the distance of the climb is the same. I found that test to not make any of the 3 look good or bad.

The braking going downhill, well the trailer was different temps each truck, and when the Eco pulled it the temps were like 118 which tells me the trailer didn't brake at all really. The Eco did it all. What I did like is the Eco had similar brake temps at all four wheels showing it really is balancing the braking power.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Eco to be the best but I think that uphill test would have been better proven if they compared RPM, Throttle position, and Acceleration times with a Load from 0-60. Then you are really testing the pulling of the truck. Showing its torque for acceleration, how hard the engine is working by its throttle position and RPM.

I agree with you Dave on the mileage, its all relative your environment. No different then my exact same truck gets 3mpg better in AZ then in OR, its because its a lot flatter there LOL.
    They did have a a max speed on the uphill climb that's true, but the ecoboost was the only one that was capable of maintaining that speed. All the other half tons dipped below 60 at full throttle at some point in the climb with some even dropping to as low as 45 mph. And with the trailer brakes it seemed like they didn't even have them on for any truck or had the gains set to low because none where ever much over 100 and you have to think most if not all of that heat is just from the wheel turning.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    They did have a a max speed on the uphill climb that's true, but the ecoboost was the only one that was capable of maintaining that speed. All the other half tons dipped below 60 at full throttle at some point in the climb with some even dropping to as low as 45 mph. And with the trailer brakes it seemed like they didn't even have them on for any truck or had the gains set to low because none where ever much over 100 and you have to think most if not all of that heat is just from the wheel turning.

Sent from my iPhone
    I musta missed the part of the trucks slowing down LOL. I agree with the trailer brakes. Trust me I'm happy the Eco did so well. I would be perfectly happy knowing the truck can maintain control and stop a 6K trailer with no brakes. This is one of the main reasons why I don't always agree with my truck can tow 5K so its ok to tow a 4500lb boat. The question to me is, can it stop safely and maintain control of that trailer when it has no brakes.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I went the other way. Just bought a 201 Rav4 Sport with a V6. Only rated for 3500. I pull my boat about 20 miles per year unless I need to bring it to the dealer. Then about another 60 miles.

The rest of the time I plan to use it in the winter for the AWD. Traded in my p.o.s. 2001 Durango V8. Really like it in snow. And way better mileage.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    I went the other way. Just bought a 201 Rav4 Sport with a V6. Only rated for 3500. I pull my boat about 20 miles per year unless I need to bring it to the dealer. Then about another 60 miles.

The rest of the time I plan to use it in the winter for the AWD. Traded in my p.o.s. 2001 Durango V8. Really like it in snow. And way better mileage.
    Nice, in your case you can do that lol. I tow 15-20 miles each way on the short trips. I think last summer, other then the trip to AZ which was just over 5K and prolly 3500 on the trailer we generally put 2-3K on the trailer.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Nice ride for sure man. I love mine so far. I have the scorlion a\s tires and they have not been bad tires.
    Chris H.
    2012 Mojo
    Wake Life

WS420sq,4 Rev8's,JL Amps,2-TypeR 12's,6-Interior Kicker, Green/White LED

Chris i'm glad you like your truck, I love mine but looking at your location you likely don,t have nearly the same issues with the tires as i/ we in snowy places have.They may be A/S tires but when it came to the Winter/cold part of those tires that is where they are/were an epic fail. For summer tires they are ok and i will use mine again then replace...
    07 Outback DD

Just filled her up for the second time, just shy of 1200 miles now.

Last night was 566 on the trip and 33.5 gallons to fill it. Making it 16.8

Truck's computer is surprising close on mileage and fuel used.
    Truck said Mileage was 17.1 hand calc 16.8
    Truck said i used 32.6 gallons Took 33.5 with topping it to the dollar.

Pretty happy with driving the truck still, did a few spirited passing runs on ole HW47 and she gets up and goes from 40 to 80. You can feel the turbos boost up and the power roll on.

Still not as fast as the F350 or seat of the pants fast with the power it had.

Course if the F150 had something other then factory exhaust so you could get a little sound with that seat of the pants feeling then mentally it might feel different.

The Eco has no exhaust sound at all in the truck, when you full throttle it if the stereo is turned down low you get some engine growl but thats it really.

I do miss the roar of the F350's straight exhaust and the whine, and blow off sounds of the F350s twin turbos.

I'm time I will have to upgrade to a CAI and exhaust just for sound reasons LOL.

Time to take the ole Vette for a ride, with its Cat and Resonator only exhaust, she has a nice deep rumble and when you stomp that skinny pedal ...She Gone!
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Chris i'm glad you like your truck, I love mine but looking at your location you likely don,t have nearly the same issues with the tires as i/ we in snowy places have.They may be A/S tires but when it came to the Winter/cold part of those tires that is where they are/were an epic fail. For summer tires they are ok and i will use mine again then replace...

Yeah man i just noticed you are from the cold country. Id definately upgrade the tires and can relate
    Chris H.
    2012 Mojo
    Wake Life

WS420sq,4 Rev8's,JL Amps,2-TypeR 12's,6-Interior Kicker, Green/White LED