Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crushed

Sounds like he's gotta make a commitment or let it go.

FYI, a little story: My oldest daughter always wanted to be a cheerleader. She did not have any gymnastics growing up. She played soccer (poorly) and then softball (was OK but not good). She tried out for middle school cheerleading and dance and didn't make either. She got to be a majorette and learned some dance. She kept trying out for cheerleading every year and not making it in 6th, 7th, 8th and freshman year. She went to a private gym and worked on gymnastics skills. By the time she was a sophomore and trying out for the squad for her junior year I was telling her that "they don't take new girls who are juniors; it just doesn't happen." Well, guess what? The work paid off and she made it. She had to cheer JV as a junior while most of her friends and lots of younger girls were on varsity. But, she went on to cheer varsity as a senior. I was so proud of her for knowing what she wanted and putting in the work over a period of years and not taking "no" for an answer.

If I have one thing to say to your son it is that, if you know what you want, GO GET IT! Never give up. But, you have to decide for yourself if you want it. If you do, work for it every day.

Senior Night.jpg
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Crushed

That's a great read Kane. Thanks for sharing and inspiring

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

We're on the same page. Gotta have the kids focused on something or all they will find is trouble.

Petty, you're in the mecca of wakesurfing with a lot of local competitions this summer. Get that boy geared up!

One more (maybe a few) thoughts. I've got two girls in high school and what they are involved in now as a sophomore and junior is nothing like what I would have expected going into their freshman years. Just sort of goes to show how much they are changing and finding new avenues and interests.

Both went into high school playing in the band and loving it. One of mine hated band once she got to high school and has now discovered a love of cooking and baking and is planning on going to culinary school. Never really saw that coming, but it is a passion for her so I'm supportive. My other daughter was a softball player and loved the band. She's now left softball behind, mainly because she did not like the coach and some of the girls on her team. She's now singing in the praise band at our church, considering ministry and wanting to be the drum major of the band. None of that is really a shock, but it could have gone different directions depending on her high school experiences.

One of my younger daughters friends was the poster child for softball. Select teams year round, private lessons, always on the all star teams, at nationals a number of times, pitcher, solid defender, quick, good hitter. Parents were founding members of some of the select teams in our area, ran most of them, coached, were founders of the athletic club at the new high school.........and she's not playing any more. Stopped all softball activities. She's a smart kid too and is now focusing on her academics, enjoying high school and planning on attending the University of Texas (smart girl). She's a great kid and you never know if she'll come back, but she's like a new person now my daughter says, so much pressure removed.

I guess all that to say I feel like in high school you've got to start the letting go process and letting them make their own decisions more. Just think, he'll be driving soon. Ugh, I feel your pain.

You are hitting close to home with a lot of us. We are right there with you.

Ron
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    That's a great read Kane. Thanks for sharing and inspiring
    Well, it ain't exactly RUDY but it ain't bad either.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I grew up much like your son playing baseball year round all the way up until I was ready for college. I had an opportunity to play college ball and turned it down cause I was burnt out on baseball at the time, something that I regret all the time. So it may not be too bad that he gets a break now to really evaluate how much his heart is in the game. Another thing is, idk about his school but we always had a team manager or two that would be at practice all the time and come to the game and take stats and warm up pitchers. It would be a great way to show the coach that he really is dedicated to the game and willing to put in the work. However, I know at that age my ego would have prevented me from doing something like but it sounds like he has the talent so the coaches will eventually see that.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Default Crushed

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    It would be a great way to show the coach that he really is dedicated to the game and willing to put in the work. However, I know at that age my ego would have prevented me from doing something like but it sounds like he has the talent so the coaches will eventually see that.
    That would be great for him to do but like you said B, don't think his ego or pride would allow him to do that. In fact, I told him last night to go and speak with the head coach today about what further options he has im text him a little but ago and he said he didn't go talk to coach. I asked him why and he said " I didn't want to "

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

It's unfortunate but these days kids have to start so young, get outside coaching, play in several different leagues and make a huge time and money (parents too) commitment to have a chance at anything. If you decide you want to play soccer in HS or basketball it's just too late. It's really unfair in a way. We burn kids out on their best sport(s) and deny them any opportunity to play other ones. I think we had more fun as kids just playing pickup basketball after school and sandlot baseball in the spring. Heck, we played tackle football all the time in the fields at the school. You never see kids doing this kind of stuff anymore. They are either wearing a uniform or playing a video game. Too bad. We lost something there.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

That would be great for him to do but like you said B, don't think his ego or pride would allow him to do that. In fact, I told him last night to go and speak with the head coach today about what further options he has im text him a little but ago and he said he didn't go talk to coach. I asked him why and he said " I didn't want to "
    give him the weekend to get his head back in it.

Default Crushed

looks like ill be saving a ton of money that I can now throw into the boat. TX Jam looking more like a go than a no go now to

sent from my home phone
    You know I was reading through all this and was but about to drop something aloft those lines and you beat me to it! Guess you can collect on those beers that I owe yah!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD