Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The big move

Default The big move

For the last few years we've been taking an annual vacation to Lake Norman which is just north of Charlotte, NC. We would rent a house on the lake, bring the boat, jet skis, the whole nine yards. After falling in love with the lake and the surrounding area, we've finally decided to do it. This current winter in NE Ohio has most certainly reaffirmed our decision and actually sped our move up.

First we decided to list our house Jan 1st, just to get things moving, not expecting to sell terribly quickly. Well 5 days later and 2 full ask offers, the house is sold. Shortly thereafter I had a lead on a pretty desirable position in Huntersville which was not meant to come to fruition until the fall, however 2 unexpected retirements had my wife and I on a plane down for an interview 2 weeks later. Now that its all said and done, I've accepted a position there and we should close on the house in the next 3 weeks. Although, in medicine we have this nasty little process called credentialing which leads to no one being able to start work much earlier than 3mos from date of acceptance.

So we will be moving by the end of april, just in time for the boating season to really come into effect, although we're going to wait a few weeks to bring the boat until we can decide on storage. Not going to rush into buying a house simply for the fact that we may indeed not like the area and simply don't know where we really want to be yet.

All in all we couldnt be more excited for the change on scenery, the weather and the extended boating season. As far as family, we're making this move completely solo, just the wife and I, although we expect some family to make the move later this year. With that comes the big problem, we need a 3rd!! So hopefully we make friends fast and can enjoy the lake to its fullest extent.

With that far too lengthy post said, any help/suggestions are very much appreciated!
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

Lakes dont freeze over down here, so its boating season year round for the bold!

Seriously, congrats and welcome to the south

Welcome. Couple of us on Lake Wylie. Great place to be.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Current - 2018 Moomba Craz
    Past - 2013 Moomba Mojo
    Past - 2004 Moomba XLV

Definitely consider renting for a while before you buy so you learn the area. I had a good idea of what I wanted when I moved here but missed by about a mile or two. Wish I had rented for a year. The transaction costs to sell and buy and move again are killer.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Do you need a 3rd in North Carolina ? You don't in Georgia as long as you have a mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Definitely consider renting for a while before you buy so you learn the area. I had a good idea of what I wanted when I moved here but missed by about a mile or two. Wish I had rented for a year. The transaction costs to sell and buy and move again are killer.

freshturk - I agree with Kaneboats. If you go that route, put an ad in Craigslist and let the rental market come to you. Specify your parameters, whatever they may be. Let the responses roll in for a couple of days, then pull the ad. Follow up with each offer. You could well end up with a nice arrangement that is far less expensive than the conventional rental market. I did this and the result was a half dozen very nice rental options. Friday of this coming week I close on the purchase of house that is far from what I thought would be my choice when I arrived in the area a year ago. The rental kept my living expenses very low for the year that I really needed to find the right place to live. No regrets. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

That's a great suggestion. People hate advertising to the general public and having to deal with all their BS. I needed a temporary house for 6 months or so after my house closed while we were waiting for a short sale to wrap up on the new house. I put an ad on Craigslist and got about a dozen good responses. I said who we were, what our needs were what we wanted, etc. Be sure to go online and check the tax records to make sure they actually own the property though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default The big move

Congratulations on your decision! There are a bunch of people from Ohio down here. My wife and I made the move last July from NJ and are loving it, though don't kid yourself because in the winter like it is now it still gets cold here, just no snow usually (minus this week as Charlotte is supposed to get a little snow).

We moved to Fort Mill, SC a little south of you and ride on Wylie. We rented for 3 months and them found our home. Best of luck to you! In NC/SC you do not need a third as long as you have a mirror but boating is always fun with a group.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Watch the Craiglist scams on rental homes. It's been happening a lot. Someone gets access to a foreclosed house, changes the locks, rents to someone and then they are gone. Who would of thought of that except crooks. It actually happened in our community.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

My wife spent a week in November and December in NC, Would really want to move from Ohio to there. But owning a business makes that kinda hard and she did not like the idea of me being a stay at home dad. With having a 6th grader and 8th grader we hope to enjoy more time at our condo in TN once they are out of high school