Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    Diet matters most. You can't outwork bad food.

And lots of stretching, mobility work.

But as far as workouts, StrongLifts 5x5! Easy, simple workouts in my basement (have a Rogue rack and some weights) only 3x a week. It's amazing how much stronger I am in every other lift after squatting 3x a week.

Other than that, just swim or walk for on-going cardio. And a lot of moving around, aka NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) to keep the metabolism going. I'm 32 and learned in the last few years that 'more' doesn't equal 'better' for me. Lots of interesting studies of overexercising and its affect on excess cortisol, which in turn can lead to more fat retention since your body is in a perpetual stress state.

It's tough with a dead thyroid but the above is working pretty well for me the past few years, 6'1 185lbs now. Down from 215. Would love to be 170s by summer.
    Even more simplified.....count your overall caloric intake. Stick to a plan, reduce it. That will force you to make better food decisions overall because crap food will -typically- be high in calories.

There are exceptions (example: good fats are high) so you need to pay attention to how you manage it. But it’s simplicity is powerful. Stop eating so damn much! Then, of what you do eat, make better choices.

You can get damn full on a hunk of chicken and a pile of broccoli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post

But who wants to when you can have steak fajitas with chips and queso and a large margarita?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    But who wants to when you can have steak fajitas with chips and queso and a large margarita?
    You can still have that! Just not for lunch and dinner!

You can still have that! Just not for lunch and dinner!

So yesterday at work was asian food day. I don't line asian food, unless its hibachi and even then its more just steak and grilled shrimp. At lunch I had some sweet/sour chicken but I was still so hungry I score a cinnamon roll, cup cake, and a rice crispy treat. I am awful, no self control when it comes to eating. This morning I went in the galley with nothing but a bacon, egg, and cheese omelette on my mind. Ate than and then they had pancakes so I HAD to get a couple of those too. Don't do my diet plan.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

But at the same time you got to eat ENOUGH.

I typically aim for the calories needed for the basal metabolic rate of the weight I want to be.

If you don’t eat enough, your metabolism goes into starvation mode.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Default Pre-season Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    But at the same time you got to eat ENOUGH.

I typically aim for the calories needed for the basal metabolic rate of the weight I want to be.

If you don’t eat enough, your metabolism goes into starvation mode.

Of course. You would also be hungry as hell. Majority of average “overweight” folks eat way way way too much.

My point was that when losing weight, when the needle on the scale doesn’t move, the inexperienced often will drop calories under their basal metabolic rate and they will still not lose weight.

When in fact they need to eat more to lose weight.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    So yesterday at work was asian food day. I don't line asian food, unless its hibachi and even then its more just steak and grilled shrimp. At lunch I had some sweet/sour chicken but I was still so hungry I score a cinnamon roll, cup cake, and a rice crispy treat. I am awful, no self control when it comes to eating. This morning I went in the galley with nothing but a bacon, egg, and cheese omelette on my mind. Ate than and then they had pancakes so I HAD to get a couple of those too. Don't do my diet plan.
    Good Lord! Wait, are you the under 40 guy? I remember those days.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

Default Pre-season Fitness

The good old days! I try to eat about 2500 cal a day now. I suspect that is slightly lower than my actual base rate. I have lost 10 or 11 pounds over the course of about three months. It’s pretty fascinating to count. I would venture to guess at some points in time I was eating 5000 cal a day.

I wasn’t obese, miraculously!

Even more simplified.....count your overall caloric intake. Stick to a plan, reduce it. That will force you to make better food decisions overall because crap food will -typically- be high in calories.

There are exceptions (example: good fats are high) so you need to pay attention to how you manage it. But it’s simplicity is powerful. Stop eating so damn much! Then, of what you do eat, make better choices.

This is very true. The biggest issue is we eat far too much food. Eating huge portions not only is far too many calories, but it also stretches out your stomach, exacerbating the problem. Eat smaller portions of whatever, you'll feel hungry for a bit, until your stomach adjusts. Then it's much easier. Eat whatever you want, just eat less of it.
    2019 Supra SL450