Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Boat Drivers -useless Rant

So... you want to have fun. You want to enjoy life. You like water and so does your family. You proceed to go out and spend a TON of money to buy a boat. It is then when it really hits you. All of the People that you know and ride in a Car with in life are completely clueless as how to A. Operate a boat, and B. Tow a rider (namely you, because after all YOU want to enjoy your own boat.)

I always take the time to ensure, when someone takes the helm I let them drive it first and go through the motions. But it seems that no one seems to pay attention to anything I say. They pull you in a arch when you are trying to wakeboard. They make right turns when you are surfing on the left side of the boat. NO ONE and figure out the cruise control even though it is set and forget it. The feel that must floor it to get back to you, or not and spoon the bow, and let's not even talk about the wake plate, a wife that goes into lala land and doesn't pay attention to shit, or running my damn boat on the rocks.

That working in Concert with friends that bring starving kids on your boat that eat chips and make a complete mess , jump on everything like its a trampoline, yell and scream while you are trying to concentrate and keep everyone alive. Did I mention "Free Ride Rob" that thinks that boat runs on good will instead of gas, and everyone saying "buy", "thank you" while you have at the very least another 20 minutes of cleaning and stowing?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my friends, I love their kids, and I cant take this boat with me when I die. It will be dinged, it will be messy, and scratched.
    But sometimes it is so damn frustrating to have fun.

How do you handle it? what do you do?
    Last edited by flienlow; 07-26-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

I try to remind people not to step on seats. Luckily, my wife drives pretty well. I have a few dings and a dirty boat. But, I don't spend hours each week wiping down, cleaning, and waxing. It is a boat, enjoy it! Like you said, can't take it with you.

As fast gas goes, I budget the gas into my monthly budget. A few years back, I had friends that took me on their boats and never asked for/accepted money from me. I just pay that forward now.

I think so many people are buying these big expensive boats that they feel they have to keep them perfect. My boat is paid in full so I don't worry about much other than routine maintenance.

And we are always here for ya, if you want to come on here and rant!

We r on a smaller private lake, Everyone power turns on this lake except us LOL.. I laugh my ass off as they do this and their kids bob up and down under water. Also perfect glass so what happens 5 boats come out pulling damn hotdogs 2-3 of them and churn the water up. It never fails but in the end they pay the same as we do to have a cabin on the lake so who am I to complain? Happy boating! tonight it will be glass though and maybe 1-2 other boats...
    2003 Moomba Outback with 283 hrs on the 310HP Indmar. Its in Cherry condition also and now we will again start to use the boat after a few years off.

It's good to get it off your chest. lol.
    I have similar issues w/trying to get my wife to dial in the surf wake on the fly. She doesn't know what button/switch/lever does what. So I've taught my 17 y/o instead. don't get me wrong, she's a great driver and can pull me just fine and she is beginning to pick up on stuff like wake plate, speed adjustments, etc. but i think we're a long way from her adjusting the ballast etc on the fly. (hmmm. maybe i can make a case for a new boat w/autowake!!!!) along w/backing the trailer down when we load up etc she's an awesome help (plus she always remembers to bring the stuff i don't think about like snaks, sunscreen, ear protection for my 4 y/o (dem rev 10's doe)
    However, my 17y/o and i typically do all the breaking down and stowing for the trip home, but that's because my wife is watching our other kids.

I have never asked or expected anyone to pitch in for gas. I look at it this way, I own the boat, I assume the financial responsibility of it. I'd be spending the $$ anyway if it were just my family on the boat so it's somewhat a sunk cost.

And kids will be kids. Some are more annoying than others... that is true. lol As long as they don't have shoes on, the boat (at these prices) should be tough enough to handle a little horseplay.

But it does feel good to vent i'm sure.
    2016 Craz

I've been lucky, my lady was basically a blank slate when we bought the boat last season. She picked it up quickly and has easily become the best driver in my crew. There is the occasional autopilot moment when she forgets something, but she's the closest thing I have to driving for myself. I get your frustration though, you spent the cash, but are the only one getting a less than perfect tow. As much as it sucks, sometimes I fall intentionally if the driver is doing something I don't like. That way you can correct the problem and give them some pointers, rather than having a terrible and frustrating set.

I also find that I can never go first, because I have to do some fine tuning with a rider first. The kid part, ya it's frustrating, but your hands are tied unless you want to be the fun police. In that case nobody will want to go out with you for fear of getting crumbs in the boat. Haha. I just bite my tongue and let that crap slide, who cares about an extra thousand or two on resale.... At the end of the day, it's just a posession, pristine condition or a little beat up its not going to break the bank if you lose a few dollars on resale down the road. It's all about the fun, so don't sweat the small stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Just a few comments. Concentrate in teaching your wife to pull you and not bother with others as she will be with you most of the time. Look for that one good driver and she could be that. My wife didn't have any interest so I relied on other seasoned boat drivers.

I used cruise control for the first time on my friends boat and he had to reiterate that the beep means it's in control and not touch the handle. Not intuitive plus I probably wasn't listening the first time.

Have everyone fed before boating and later on find a place on the water (beach or dock) where everyone can get out and eat. Hydration is important so drinks on the boat is important just stay away from the staining type.

The portable Dyson or a strong vacuum cleaner works great to clean out the boat. Let everything dry out first and it will pick up the stuff not stuck to the floor. Towels on the seats help.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Before I even get on the water I am super irritated because of the idiots at the boat landing..not to mention everything you posted.

We sold our boat last summer because we had twins and they are a handful. We expected to buy again for next season, but I have to be honest- I am not missing boating AT ALL...crazy huh? I had boats for 15+ years.

My in-laws have a pontoon boat so I can get my "lake fix", but it feels damn good being a passenger..

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    Before I even get on the water I am super irritated because of the idiots at the boat landing..not to mention everything you posted.

We sold our boat last summer because we had twins and they are a handful. We expected to buy again for next season, but I have to be honest- I am not missing boating AT ALL...crazy huh? I had boats for 15+ years.

My in-laws have a pontoon boat so I can get my "lake fix", but it feels damn good being a passenger..
    Hahaha. Sometimes I sit down on the bench seat and enjoy a few moments as a stress free passenger. Then I snap back to reality.... I have friends with other top notch wake boats, but they're not nearly as dialed as my craz, so u usually end up driving.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Default Boat Drivers -useless Rant

Everything you said is exactly what it's all about!

My philosophy is soak it up. Enjoy every minute. Sure I get pissed about much of what you said but then on the ride home when one of my little girls says "daddy I had fun today"... well you know it was all worth it.

I have also found that talking to myself under my breath and drinking beer during cleanup, storing, packing for the day, boat ramp launch, etc make it better. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post

Everything you said is exactly what it's all about!

My philosophy is soak it up. Enjoy every minute. Sure I get pissed about much of what you said but then on the ride home when one of my little girls says "daddy I had fun today"... well you know it was all worth it.

I have also found that talking to myself under my breath and drinking beer during cleanup, storing, packing for the day, boat ramp launch, etc make it better. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True that. My 10y/o daughter has been dying to get up on a surf board and has failed the last 10+ outings to do so. Well tonight she finally got up. Not on my boat, but the neighbors. It was awesome to watch as I was not driving!
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L