Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to configure flow surf

Hello,
    I am enjoying my new 2014 Mondo. I am new to wake surfing (I am a skier). But I cannot find any real info on how to configure the flow surf plates and ballast.

I understand that for wake surfing, ballast is key. it sounds like filling up the front tank, and the rear left and maybe 1/2 of the right rear is a good start.
    1. now what about the plates? do I put down the left plate only, or both?
    2. should it shoot up water like a rooster tail or is that because I dont have enough people and weight in the boat?

Thank you! I just need a starting point!
    Jim

You are probably the first one (or at least one of the first) that we know of that is starting to use the Flow. I don't believe you should have to worry about filling only one side of the ballast bags (supposed to be one of the benefits of the Flow), just weight both sides fully and equally and deploy the Flow on the opposite side from your surfer.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Jim - I am still waiting for delivery of my Mondo. Should be today.

The demo boat I road in had the flow surf setup on it. Here is what I have discovered/was told so far.

1. Lower the surf plate on the opposite side you are surfing only. In the lowest position seemed to get the best result.

2. Bow ballast is going to be necessary according to the dealer. Was told a horseshoe ballast in the bow is perfect (500 lbs.?) or the equivalent in lead, people, other.

3. In a balanced boat of people you may want to throw one additional person on the surf side. The old days you would put everyone in the boat on the back corner and the kitchen sink.

4. There was no rooster tail shooting up during my demo. May be the case with both flow plates down.

I want to say ballasts were full. I don't remember the position of the wake plate but you would probably want it in the up position (bow up, stern down) - http://www.scdealerconnect.com/produ...atic-wakeplate

I think the name of the game here is continue playing with it until you find the sweet spot. And then you will have to continue tweaking based on the water, crew, rider, etc.

Can't wait to get out and start playing. Good luck to you and keep the dialogue up. You may save me from having to learn the hard way.
    2014 Moomba Mondo - Exile Tower/Sub/ZLD/EXBT4/Amps (2x), Hertz Cabin - Evolution Cover - 650 IBS, 900s Rear, Center Hard Tank, Flow
    1969 Bayliner Tahiti - 120 HP Force Outboard - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    You are probably the first one (or at least one of the first) that we know of that is starting to use the Flow.
    Well I will post an instructional video as soon as I figure it out then!

My dealer has played with it. Fill up all the ballast, depending on you surf stance, drop the flow plate on the opposite side. Start with the #2 hole, about 10mph. Play with your speed and wakeplate to shape the wave.

I have not tested yet, your wave may vary.

I will be testing my Flow this weekend and can help ya out next week.

As I understand the boat is weighted EVENLY in the rear. Then weight the front. The Flow likes FRONT weight more then rear weight. This is because in the rear you are weighting both sides so essentially compared to classic surfing of weighting one side, you are getting 2xs the rear weight. This is why they are advertising so much that you can surf it with factory ballast in the rear. That's 1300lbs and front weight. I have been told by a few that have had the chance to surf it you want at least 1K in the front. 500 hard tank and Bow sac <IBS> worthy of 500-650

You can set your Flow tab to any position, the lower the position the taller and more aggressive the wave, lowest setting is good for skim surfers, and the lowest is good for surfers who want the biggest wave.

As for the deploy of which tab, I understood it as you want to Surf Regular, you deploy the Goofy Tab.
    Surf Goofy you deploy the Regular tab, I could be wrong as I am only going by what I have read.

Like I said after Sunday I will report with my findings, and pictures, and I hope to get some videos of the different settings. Mostly this depends on how long me and my crew can tolerate mid 50s water temps LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Your mondo will have a front bag built in. did the demo boat have an additional front ballast bag?

Awesome.......while many of us are wildly jealous -- both of the Flow and the fact that you are actually in the water using it!! -- we are looking forward to what you find!!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

The demo did not have additional ballast but the dealership added a horeshoe on top of the factory ballast and said that made it perfect.
    2014 Moomba Mondo - Exile Tower/Sub/ZLD/EXBT4/Amps (2x), Hertz Cabin - Evolution Cover - 650 IBS, 900s Rear, Center Hard Tank, Flow
    1969 Bayliner Tahiti - 120 HP Force Outboard - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Mrd8ker View Post
    The demo did not have additional ballast but the dealership added a horeshoe on top of the factory ballast and said that made it perfect.
    I hope you are planning on Hagg, and not the River, the Willy is seriously dangerous to a V drive at this time a year. Its generally over normal level higher then normal currents and lots of underwater debris.

If you hit the Hagg Sunday you will see us, or hear us for sure LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]