Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Years of reading the forums pays off

Finally got my new boat out on the water for more than 5 minutes. Took a ride for about 20 minutes and came back to the dock. An hour later I get in the boat to trailer it. Turn the key, starts, sputters and dies. It just wouldn't start after that no matter what I did. The father in law, ex mechanic, listens to it and say "sounds like it's not getting gas". The light bulb on top of my head turns on. Take a look at the engine and I pour a bit of lake water on the fuel rails. Try to start it again and it fires, but starts running rough and dies after 10 or 20 seconds. Now I'm sure I know whats wrong. I follow the supply line to the fuel pump, get some lake water and pour it on the pump. I turn the key and, like magic, the motor starts and runs as smooth as it ever did. Problem solved.

Thanks to years of going through the various problems and solutions people have posted, I remembered that some of you have had "vapor lock" issues and a little bit of cool water resolved your issues.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

It could also be magic water. You are from the land of sky blue waters. I'm glad our troubles was your fix.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

booom JACK haha
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Sorry to hear about it! I too have been dealing with the issue and used this forum (while on the water) to get back underway. My boat is currently on the way back from the dealership after having Indmar's additional boost pump installed. I'm taking it out tonight to test everything out. I'll let you know how it does.
    07 22SSV -- Wetsounds!

I've never had the issue, but should it arise where exactly do you pour cold water? Admittedly I've never looked for the fuel pump.
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

Quote Originally Posted by TL7 View Post
    I've never had the issue, but should it arise where exactly do you pour cold water? Admittedly I've never looked for the fuel pump.
    Taft, your fuel pump should be located in the actual fuel tank so the fuel on board should keep it cool and prevent you from having this problem. I think this was mainly an issue on the 07 and older boats, my 08 has a fuel tank mounted pump and it doesnt get much hotter than the Texas summer and I never have an issue with this.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

my fuel pump sits right next to the motor
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Taft, your fuel pump should be located in the actual fuel tank so the fuel on board should keep it cool and prevent you from having this problem. I think this was mainly an issue on the 07 and older boats, my 08 has a fuel tank mounted pump and it doesnt get much hotter than the Texas summer and I never have an issue with this.
    Does the manufacturer have a modification that can be done on these older boats? If not, I just might rig up a "sprinkler/sprayer" of some sort to a switch under the dash.
    It's only the 3'rd time I've had the boat on the water and don't want to have to be opening up hatches every time this happens. Base on what I've seen this probably happens more often than not.
    Not a big deal and an easy fix at any rate. Just a bit of time to do the work only once.

Ron

Inexpensive fix I got from my dealer....change your fuel filter every year. Use mid grade fuel and add an additive such as Sta Bil Marine at every fill up to fight the ethanol issue that is the primary cause of the problem. I vapor locked for 2 summers in hot weather until I followed this procedure. Never had another issue.

Scott
    2006 Supra 21V

Quote Originally Posted by szeh View Post
    Inexpensive fix I got from my dealer....change your fuel filter every year. Use mid grade fuel and add an additive such as Sta Bil Marine at every fill up to fight the ethanol issue that is the primary cause of the problem. I vapor locked for 2 summers in hot weather until I followed this procedure. Never had another issue.

Scott
    2006 Supra 21V
    OK. I've got 2 out of 3. I'm using mid grade, it's called for in the manual. I've got sta bil in the gas, double the dosage actually. Drawback is it's the gas from last fall, and the tank still reads full. When I fill up next time I'll add sta bil, as I usually don't use this in the middle of the summer. We'll see what happens.

Ron