Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Not to be a stickler here but for what these boats cost and the vinyl tears and cracks I have seen from foot placement near seams....you step in that hole you deserve it!

The transom walk-thru and sea deck on the table is there for a reason. If you are using the flip up transom seats that is the only way in and out anyways. But I'm with HFarr....I'll trade you even up to mitigate your risk.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I haven’t had an issue yet. We have had crews from 3 to 9. I just remind people to step on gator step only and it hasn’t been an issue. The boat is huge, I think if you just pay attention to where you are stepping it is avoidable.

That being said, if you did step wrong or somehow miss your step and land in that gap I bet it wouldn’t feel good. Knock on wood, no issues for us so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2023 SL400

previous - 2000 SAN210

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    I put 2 screws in each of my bottom panels as an added safety as well as the upgraded steel c Chanel. I think I cut mine at 28" as well.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    I'll second you guys here. Anyone looking to upgrade their bags, 100% need to do this. I got the WM upgrade initially and it's not working. In fact, those reinforcement pieces are bending. So, I'm in the middle of redoing it somewhat like this.

Have you guys thought any about the pressure on the fiberglass up top?
    2022 Makai 400
    15.5x16.5 prop (18 back up)
    Chilltech
    Premium Wetsounds Package
    WakeMakers (custom) bag upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by dyrmz134 View Post
    I'll second you guys here. Anyone looking to upgrade their bags, 100% need to do this. I got the WM upgrade initially and it's not working. In fact, those reinforcement pieces are bending. So, I'm in the middle of redoing it somewhat like this.

Have you guys thought any about the pressure on the fiberglass up top?
    The top fiberglass edge has crossed my mind, but not too much I can do about that without a lot more work. I think it is stout enough to handle the pressure as is. That load is spread out along all the panels pretty evenly across the top. I had those panels bending and popping out with just the stock bags even before going to the WM bags. They are just too soft and flexible is the real problem.

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    The top fiberglass edge has crossed my mind, but not too much I can do about that without a lot more work. I think it is stout enough to handle the pressure as is. That load is spread out along all the panels pretty evenly across the top. I had those panels bending and popping out with just the stock bags even before going to the WM bags. They are just too soft and flexible is the real problem.

I just starting getting paranoid about too much stress in that area as the rest is reinforced. But maybe I am overly concerned, and like to you said , not much to do about it.
    2022 Makai 400
    15.5x16.5 prop (18 back up)
    Chilltech
    Premium Wetsounds Package
    WakeMakers (custom) bag upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by dyrmz134 View Post
    I just starting getting paranoid about too much stress in that area as the rest is reinforced. But maybe I am overly concerned, and like to you said , not much to do about it.
    I think its a concern because the load is focussed on the area where the two clips are at the top, thats a lot of pressure in a small space, I still have stock bags, and tested my single 1x1 angle iron on each middle diver panel, and the starboard side was ok, but port still popped in, I added the second angle iron to each middle panel today and will test that, I also have some flat stock I thought about using, perhaps up top to spread the load out, I will also think about the lower c channel screws, and perhaps even 2 more clips on the top of each side…. But I like to test things out 1 at a time to see what works….

As I mentioned still stock bags, but I will upgrade in the off season, so I am ok with building in some overkill…..
    2022 Makai
    Fire Red - Pecan ChillTech - Woodgrain Gatorstep
    400 - 1.76 - 15.5x15 prop (16x13 Acme 3409 installed for testing)
    Ballast Mods: 1000lb of lead and WM Bags

Are you guys using aluminum? That is what WM sells also.

Try to find 1" x 1" SST. Either 204 or 316 grade. It will be much stronger and run them the whole length of the panel not 3" short on each side like WM.

Also the channel at the bottom. Same thing use SST and add a few extra screws. Order deep channel. They make 1/2" x 1" channel that is 1/2" wide but has 1" sides to add height and help support the panel further up.

Lastly, just replace the panels with aluminum and cover them in sound deadener material. Add UHMW straps to the bottom to make them sit tight in the channel and at the top for the locks to work.

Just thoughts....but seeing these boats are new I get the frustration.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I used 1/8th steel angle iron for mine, was not going to go with aluminum…. Lol steel is just more ballast!! (I kill myself sometimes)…. I went as long as I could on each one….

027D13F1-BBF1-4447-884C-FBA8BAA09537.jpg

I am a tinkerer, and I knew this was likely going to be an issue, so perhaps its too easy for me to overlook, I tend to adjust and modify everything I own anyways….
    2022 Makai

To fully resolve the panels buckling, I think the best approach would be a stiffer back brace channel for the panels and also a beefier and taller channel/track on the bottom.

Mine still buckle from time to time, mainly if my wife hits some rollers at a side angle where the boat rolls a lot. I haven’t upgraded my panel dividers yet but one thing I did do that seems to lessen the likelihood of it happening was making sure my bags were slightly rotated towards the outer side of the boat on each side rather than straight up and down. This seems to aim the bag away from the panel a little more than if it were straight up or aimed towards it. I did this during the fill process when the bag had maybe 10% water in it so that the bag could be tweaked and moved around/rotated. Obviously don’t want to go too much or cause any addd tension on the fittings or tubing but you should be able to adjust the bag a little to expand towards the outside more than straight up.
    Last edited by haknslash; 08-30-2022 at 02:11 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    To fully resolve the panels buckling, I think the best approach would be a stiffer back brace channel for the panels and also a beefier and taller channel/track on the bottom.

Mine still buckle from time to time, mainly if my wife hits some rollers at a side angle where the boat rolls a lot. I haven’t upgraded my panel dividers yet but one thing I did do that seems to lessen the likelihood of it happening was making sure my bags were slightly rotated towards the outer side of the boat on each side rather than straight up and down. This seems to aim the bag away from the panel a little more than if it were straight up or aimed towards it. I did this during the fill process when the bag had maybe 10% water in it so that the bag could be tweaked and moved around/rotated. Obviously don’t want to go too much or cause any addd tension on the fittings or tubing but you should be able to adjust the bag a little to expand towards the outside more than straight up.
    Hey now, thats a pretty interesting Idea, I do believe that its during the filling process where the most pressure can be exerted on the panels dependant on how the bag is oriented and fills….. I like your idea and will put it on the list!
    2022 Makai