Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: perko switch

I'll check this out tonight. Thanks for the wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    Gus,

My dealer as well screwed up installing the second battery, Perko, and towers I negociated in with the sale. Not in the Perko, but rather they had it wired so that there was so much noise that I could not even idle the boat with the radio on. They had my boat for 5 days and made it worse. I took it to Earmark Marine 3 hrs away for a custom system (see my post). David is very big on not over engineering a system when it's not needed. Even with my system, David pretty much insisted that the Perko is all pretty much everyone needs in simple to highend systems. Plus, whether in person or over the phone, I like the way David can "dumb it down" for us mortals to understand.
    if i had someone even 3 hours away i'd be there in a heart beat but i can't locate an audio person with great knowledge of boats! it sucks you pay a dealer to do it once and its wrong. i called and asked about it but he claims thats how its suppose to be. i'm like thats b.s. off should be off meaning nothing comes on. i'm not into the audio and wiring of stuff but i'm gonna take the perko down and see how its wired exactly just need to know what wires go where any help david?

btw you da man your system looks sick they did a great job for ya thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by gus 08 mobius lsv View Post
    if i had someone even 3 hours away i'd be there in a heart beat but i can't locate an audio person with great knowledge of boats! it sucks you pay a dealer to do it once and its wrong. i called and asked about it but he claims thats how its suppose to be. i'm like thats b.s. off should be off meaning nothing comes on. i'm not into the audio and wiring of stuff but i'm gonna take the perko down and see how its wired exactly just need to know what wires go where any help david?

btw you da man your system looks sick they did a great job for ya thats for sure
    Thanks Gus, by the way, I think that's the only thing the dealer got right on my system.. the perko switch. When I switched it to "off" everything was off.

Quote Originally Posted by byronkoz View Post
    The possitive from your wiring harness (the one with the 50 amp breaker) should be hooked to your "both" or "all" terminal on the switch. If its hooked dirrectly to a one of the batteries then it will be hot all the time unless you dissconnect the battery its hooked to.
    ok i took my perko switch down and this is what i found postive cable on battery 1 going to post 1 on perko
    postive cable on battery 2 going to post 2 on perko
    i assume its the starter cable or alternator cable and a cable going to a thermal waterproof reset and a cable going to my 30 amp fuse is on the other post.

any ideas or help?

so to bring back and old thread, my "switch" is wired the following:
    starter is on battery one.
    acc and amps are on battery two.
    negatives are grounded as needed and there is a grounding jumper cable between the 2 batteries.
    alt. wire is on the common side of the switch
    posts marked 1-2 on the switch are routed to the positives of batteries 1 and 2 respectively.

the switch has a box above labeled as a vsr.
    all the cables are pre-labeled from skiers choice as needing to be connected to battery one or two.

looking at this scenario, I assume that I have 2 independent batteries and the vsr just ensures that each battery is charged correctly and that I don't have a "real" perko switch. in this case, can I not run the stereo battery dead without doing anything to the switch and the starting battery will still fire the boat up?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    looking at this scenario, I assume that I have 2 independent batteries and the vsr just ensures that each battery is charged correctly and that I don't have a "real" perko switch. in this case, can I not run the stereo battery dead without doing anything to the switch and the starting battery will still fire the boat up?

Yep thats how they have it set up, doesnt make any sense to me at all.

This is how mine is and how im pretty sure it was meant to be hooked up to work properly.

Battery one + to post one on the switch
    Battery two + to post two on the switch
    Main + to the starter on common or “both” post
    Accessories on common or “both” post
    Stereo amps on common or “both” post

Basically everything that you are powering should run off the common or “both” post.
    This allows you to run everything off battery one, battery two or off both batteries at the same time combined. When the switch is turned to off there shouldn’t be power to anything on the boat unless its wired directly off one of your batteries. Not sure if this answers the question or not but its how the switch should be wired.
    06 Outback V

After reading this thread and thinking about my setup I know my perko is wired differently than what is recommended by others in the thread but think my setup may be ok. I have two batteries one interstate marine for cranking and one deka for the alternate battery. If all accessories including wiring harness, amps, ext are wired directly to the deka and only the starter cable runs through the common post on the perko is this setup acceptable. In my mind the perko is still functioning correctly because you have ability to crank and charge either battery. I may be way off though so someone please set me straight.
    2005 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by guinsha54 View Post
    After reading this thread and thinking about my setup I know my perko is wired differently than what is recommended by others in the thread but think my setup may be ok. I have two batteries one interstate marine for cranking and one deka for the alternate battery. If all accessories including wiring harness, amps, ext are wired directly to the deka and only the starter cable runs through the common post on the perko is this setup acceptable. In my mind the perko is still functioning correctly because you have ability to crank and charge either battery. I may be way off though so someone please set me straight.
    Yeah im thinking your asking for trouble having it wired that way. What happens if the Deka battery goes dead? Then you have no use of anything thats run off your wiring harness? And would the boat even start since all accessories would be dead? If you wired everything off the common post then youd be able to choose what battery to use and everything would work of either battery. I would at least run your wiring harness (the one with the 50 amp breaker) off your common post.
    06 Outback V

If the Deka goes dead and I switch the Perko to the all or both position wouldn’t the charge then run from battery one to the other and the accessories would work? Of course if the alt battery is dead and I switch to all the volts will attempt to balance and drain the cranking battery. Maybe I just answered my own question but would still like to hear others thoughts.
    2005 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by guinsha54 View Post
    If the Deka goes dead and I switch the Perko to the all or both position wouldn’t the charge then run from battery one to the other and the accessories would work? Of course if the alt battery is dead and I switch to all the volts will attempt to balance and drain the cranking battery. Maybe I just answered my own question but would still like to hear others thoughts.
    Yes on your threory. If Alt battery is dead and you switch it to both you will lose power from Batt 1.

The goal is if you kill batt 2 you switch to Batt 1 start the boat. Then click it back to All so it will charge.

The alternator see it the same as the boat sees it. 1 it only charges 1. 2 is only charges 2. All it charges all.

When i put the home charger on my boat i put it on battery 3 as its the easiest to open, then put the perko on All and it charges all 3 as 1 big battery.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]