Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Started the new system

So here we go again, version three and definately the last! Started by peeling back the carpet and glueing kiln dried poplar wood strips to the hull with Liquid Nails Exterior HD contsruction adhesive. Hardest part of that was contouring the wood strips to fit the shape of the hull, thank god for belt sanders. And because I know somebody will ask , no i didn't coat the wood. If the strips get wet, the boat is sinking!

Then came the pain in the rear part, gluing back the carpet and cutting around the wood strips. I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive for that. You can get seriously high doing this!

After that pain was done I cut some cardboard amp board templates and cut them to fit the spaces. I also made templates of all three amps and layed them out on boards afterwards to correctly space and mark the holes for mounting the boards as well as the amps. The amps will have studs instead of screws to mount on to make installing/removing easier. Like my amps?

I used Alucabond for the boards, just as i did the last install. This stuff is super rigid, super light and water/moisture proof. Construction of it is 1/16" of HDPE sandwiched by two layers of 1/32" aluminum. Added a blurry pic but you get the drift how thin it is. Today I drill mounting holes, add the studs to the boards and cutout cooling holes in the board beneath the amps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

Awesome, I am getting ready to do a similar install with three Exile amps. Keep the pictures coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    So here we go again, version three and definately the last!
    ha ha ......... that makes me laugh. Never say "never"! Looking forward to the progress pics for this 3rd version!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

This is awesome! I am going to be installing Exile amps into mine as well and was wondering how to do the amp racks. I'll be watching this with great intrest.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

looking good, keep them coming
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Razz, I like the wood strip idea. Have you done this before? I am wondering if you might have an issue with them coming off, but i know that liquid nails is pretty sticky stuff.

Also, what about getting to the adjustments on the amps. I have three of the same amps and I am overthinking the install. I want the amps to be fairly easy to tune since getting my big body in the cubby is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    Razz, I like the wood strip idea. Have you done this before? I am wondering if you might have an issue with them coming off, but i know that liquid nails is pretty sticky stuff.

Also, what about getting to the adjustments on the amps. I have three of the same amps and I am overthinking the install. I want the amps to be fairly easy to tune since getting my big body in the cubby is a pain.
    Robert the strips shouldn't come off, there's a few on here that have used various adhesives to include quick epoxy. Liquid Nails once set will rip off glas before it lets go. The amp boards themselves will be attached to the strips with 4 screws per side on the large board and three on the Harpoon board. I'll probably dab a few spots of Liquid Nails on the strips before mounting the boards too. Watch for amp board pics tomorrow and you'll understand the method better.

There is no method that I know of to place all three where it's easy to adjust them all, just not enough room. At least not where you don't have to worry about water. I'm placing my amps with adjustment in mind though. The Xi800.4 & Xi1500.1 are going in front of the rib back enough from it to get to the adjustments. The Harpoon is going behind the rib up high, and while this isn't the ideal place to adjust the Harpoon it is easy the way i'm doing it with the studs to lift off and quick adjust while hooked up.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    ha ha ......... that makes me laugh. Never say "never"! Looking forward to the progress pics for this 3rd version!
    Yeah I swear this is the last time i'm crawling into that blasted hole!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Looks awesome Razz, i would have never thought to do it like that. Liquid nails has crossed my mind for a lot of uses, and a couple in the boat.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Your system is gonna be great! Keep the pics coming. What are you using for studs to hold the amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    There is no method that I know of to place all three where it's easy to adjust them all, just not enough room. At least not where you don't have to worry about water.
    CLASS D!