Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ballast - 750lb bag upgrade

Gday guys.

My wife and I picked up an 09 Outback V with the 1200lb G3 ballast a couple of weeks ago. I've read a bunch of threads on here which make reference to 750lb rear locker bags and was wondering if it is a simple replacement for the stock 400lb bags. Does anyone know if it is plug and play?

Should I be looking at the W707 bag listed here?

Cheers,
    Aaron

one of the most simple upgrades you can do, plug and play so to speak.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

You will need to do some slight modifications but nothing major.

Mainly jsut a little hose relocation to allow filling and draining. You will understand once you see the bags and the size difference. I havnt installed mine but will be doing that soon.

Theres enough others with the 750s they can say exactly what they did to accomidate the new larger bags.

They are a drop in replacement.

Just a tip when you buy the new bags, get new fill and drain fittings for them. The factory bags have the fitting heat glued on and are a real pain to remove.

Theres a few threads about that.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncat View Post
    Gday guys.

My wife and I picked up an 09 Outback V with the 1200lb G3 ballast a couple of weeks ago. I've read a bunch of threads on here which make reference to 750lb rear locker bags and was wondering if it is a simple replacement for the stock 400lb bags. Does anyone know if it is plug and play?

Should I be looking at the W707 bag listed here?

Cheers,
    Aaron
    Looks like the ones, when i get home ill look on my box and see what mine are they are Fat Sacs as well.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks guys, good info.

Couple of other questions on this topic:

1. What are people using for portable pumps? That is, how does one fill a portable ballast bag (for moving around when switching surf sides etc). Is the tsunami pump here supposed to be used as a fixed pump or portable (or both)? Is it as simple as connect the pump to a fitting and throw the hose into the water?

2. I am a tad confused from what I have read (and seen on my stock G3 bags) regarding the 3 fittings on the bags. I see 3 fittings, 1 for fill, 1 for drain and a 3rd that has a cap screwed onto it (no hose connected to it). What is the go with this 3rd fitting? From the forums I have picked up that in 2009 the ballast system was improved but not really sure how.

3. How do you empty the portable sac's after they are full? Are the portable pumps capable of pumping the water back out? Do you simply switch the hose around so the pump is hanging over the edge of your boat and the hose that was sucking water in from the water is now attached to the bag?
    Last edited by aaroncat; 12-23-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncat View Post
    Thanks guys, good info.

Couple of other questions on this topic:

1. What are people using for portable pumps? That is, how does one fill a portable ballast bag (for moving around when switching surf sides etc). Is the tsunami pump here supposed to be used as a fixed pump or portable (or both)? Is it as simple as connect the pump to a fitting and throw the hose into the water?

2. I am a tad confused from what I have read (and seen on my stock G3 bags) regarding the 3 fittings on the bags. I see 3 fittings, 1 for fill, 1 for drain and a 3rd that has a cap screwed onto it (no hose connected to it). What is the go with this 3rd fitting? From the forums I have picked up that in 2009 the ballast system was improved but not really sure how.

3. How do you empty the portable sac's after they are full? Are the portable pumps capable of pumping the water back out? Do you simply switch the hose around so the pump is hanging over the edge of your boat and the hose that was sucking water in from the water is now attached to the bag?
    aaron,

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum. The Tusnami pump that you provided a link to is the standard way to fill portable bags. You plug the power cord into the cigarette lighter and throw the pump overboard to fill. To empty, you attach the pump end to the bag, and throw the hose end overboard. You have to push down on the pump constantly to make sure it is drawing water from the bag and not air.

The third hole in the sac is a vent. You wil sometimes get air in the bag so this allows you to get the air out. On some boats (not Moombas), there is a line connected to this third fitting that connects to the evac line.

In 2009, Moomba went to Jabsco reversible pumps on the ballast system - there is now one pump per bag that both fills and emptied each sac. Before 2009, there was one fill pump that went into a manifold with three solenoid activated valves which controlled which bag the water went thru. Each bag then had it's own empty evac pump.

The 750 is a plug and play upgrade but as other have mentioned, be sure to buy the appropriate quick connect fittings and caps for the bags as I don't think they come with any.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Sweet Al, thanks for those answers, much appreciated! I have seen a bunch of your threads including the one for the "walk thru transom". That is brilliant and I am seriously contemplating doing it over winter.

Thanks Ed. So you are confident that with the 750lb rear locker upgrade only that the surf is adequate? Not that I don't trust you but Im excited to see if you have any photos/videos of your surf wake, being that it will be the same setup as what I will have.
    2009 Outback V

I have seen Ed's boat in action and that 750lb in the rear surf side does put out a good wave.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Thanks Ed. Not too shabby for the stock G3 bags
    2009 Outback V