Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hey all you florida peeps

so my sis just came back from a week in florida. they stayed on the gulf side landing in orlando, spending the day at universal, then the rest of the time at the ocean. well, after exploring the area, they want to pack up, sell everything and move there. it's a long-term goal, but seems they are kind of serious.
    I know that you cannot explore all the in's and out's of the state on a week vacation, and clearly, all they are seeing are the good, and not the fact that you still have to work and have the associated problems, yardwork to consume time, etc..

just wondering if a few of you florida peeps would mind some offtopic conversations on the subject..

I want to ensure that they have the good and bad to make a decision

email me if you have some time to chat about your fine state

[email protected]
    I'll forward the info to her..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Just had some of my really close boating buddies move to Englewood, below Tampa, two weeks ago from Cali. Not by their choice, his dad is in failing health so they made the move. So far he hates it and wishes it were otherwise but it is what it is. I guess it depends a lot on where your coming from too I guess. They are the type that are out on the boat at least twice a week and he's bummed as there's nothing near him, says he ain't boardin' with gators either!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Florida is a great place... if you like living on the surface of the sun, bugs the size of volkwagons, snakes that eat dogs, crocks that eat row boats, getting to rebuild your blown away house about every few years, learning a second language... stuff like that

Oh, and Ed lives in Florida too LOL
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    Oh, and Ed lives in Florida too LOL
    Now, let's play nice Kapt'n Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Now, let's play nice Kapt'n Smith.
    I'm sorry, I beg forgiveness
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

ed has given me some insight into florida over the years and hoping he responds to this, as I would value his opinion since he's not native to that area..

anyone?? anyone??
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Everything is dependent on your viewpoint. The only place that I have lived that I like better than FL is SoCal. The downsides: No state income tax, but about 7% sales tax. There is a state wide and the city usually has a little one too, so 7-7.5 is what most people pay. The unemployment in FL is the highest in the nation, the real estate market is the worst in the nation. That is a good thing if you are moving here and buying cheap. Population exploded in most parts of FL for several decades. However, the road infastructure did not keep up. Traffic is bad in all large cities. Since it never really freezes here, the bug population is large. It's a great place if you like summer and slightly cooler than summer. Some places have a "snow bird" season, which is when older people move south for the winter. This adds to the traffic problem (it's hard to drive effectively when you can't see over the dash). FL produces a lot of crops for the world, people from a country south of the U.S. does a lot of the labor. They are seldom insured when driving their cars. Tourism is the #1 industry in FL, so there are a lot of people who come to visit.

To this forum, you can ski year round. There is a lot of outdoor activities that you can do.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

if you move to florida you can have all the pro wake boarders and surfers ride in your boat like ed, you know, cause they all live there and hang with ed
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

@sandm, Ed shows to be banned from the site, for now anyways. You might need to wait a few days for a response from him until he comes back as eDrama....
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Bugs: Bug spray
    Sun: sunblock and stay wet so go in the boat every day
    Traffic: work at home, that's why we have the internet
    Tourism: no state income tax and every time their cards are swiped it puts money in the state coffers
    Old drivers: hide in the boat
    Uninsured illegal immigrants: makes UM/UIM coverage expensive but they will also cut your grass for 5 bucks
    Gators: After a few years you start rooting for them because the Seminole chop is so annoying
    real gators: just don't boat at night. They sleep during the day and go out to eat every night.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!