Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Flag pole Bimini extender (Dream stage)

Been a lot of discussion lately about extending the Bimini. Will admit last Sunday I tied up with two friends and we didn't move for almost 6 hours. (Thanks LetTieUp bumpers and @sandm for the box anchor)
    While sitting out things got hot. Real hot. Was thinking how nice some extra shade would be when parked. Few beers later and topic got brought up about adding a flag to the boat. Now here is where it comes together, Two flag pole holders. Angle them at a 45* with a 6-10' pole with a shade cloth between the two.
    Breaking it down, we have three main components the flag pole holders, the poles themselves, the fabric.

Flag pole holders- Looks like the Big Air 360* is the best and only real choice out there. Just watched their video and looks like they pulled 50lbs and the mount didn't budge. So the plan would be install two of these near the top of the tower so when angled backwards 45*-60* to provide canopy it would compliment the existing Bimini. Hoping they will be strong enough to hold.

Poles- The big air mounts looks like they can handle a 7/8" pole.
    So I'm thinking either a wooden dowel rod? 3/4" pvc (outside diameter is right at 7/8") or even trying to find an aluminum rod. I am completely at a loss for the pole so any suggestions welcome. Also maximum length y'all think this rig could handle before collapse
    Just tested out a piece of 3/4" metal conduit EMT, and easily put 40lbs on it with no bending hardly at all. Pvc moved a great deal however the sag wouldn't be the worst thing either..

Fabric- Thinking of a mesh or other super lightweight but shading fabric, I think if the wind could come through it great. Looked at some SPF fabrics as well. Sewing two sleeves in each side to slide the poles into. Really once done the poles and fabric could be rolled up and stored. Unroll slide poles into holders and done.

Below is a great shop approved drawing. Let me know what y'all think, anyone ever tried this? Anyone with a flag holder who can say?
    Step 1 will be buy the flag pole holders, Find an appropriate rod. Then lastly the fabric.
    Last edited by Josh828; 05-25-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Posted to save.
    Looking to see how all this works, as my wife and kids were complaining last weekend about the engine sunpad being too hot to lay on.

Something like this might work. 1ft sections, build as big as you want.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HSS-12-Ex...PACK/121285042
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Josh828 View Post
    Been a lot of discussion lately about extending the Bimini. Will admit last Sunday I tied up with two friends and we didn't move for almost 6 hours. (Thanks LetTieUp bumpers and @sandm for the box anchor)
    While sitting out things got hot. Real hot. Was thinking how nice some extra shade would be when parked. Few beers later and topic got brought up about adding a flag to the boat. Now here is where it comes together, Two flag pole holders. Angle them at a 45* with a 6-10' pole with a shade cloth between the two.
    Breaking it down, we have three main components the flag pole holders, the poles themselves, the fabric.

Flag pole holders- Looks like the Big Air 360* is the best and only real choice out there. Just watched their video and looks like they pulled 50lbs and the mount didn't budge. So the plan would be install two of these near the top of the tower so when angled backwards 45*-60* to provide canopy it would compliment the existing Bimini. Hoping they will be strong enough to hold.

Poles- The big air mounts looks like they can handle a 7/8" pole.
    So I'm thinking either a wooden dowel rod? 3/4" pvc (outside diameter is right at 7/8") or even trying to find an aluminum rod. I am completely at a loss for the pole so any suggestions welcome. Also maximum length y'all think this rig could handle before collapse
    Just tested out a piece of 3/4" metal conduit EMT, and easily put 40lbs on it with no bending hardly at all. Pvc moved a great deal however the sag wouldn't be the worst thing either..

Fabric- Thinking of a mesh or other super lightweight but shading fabric, I think if the wind could come through it great. Looked at some SPF fabrics as well. Sewing two sleeves in each side to slide the poles into. Really once done the poles and fabric could be rolled up and stored. Unroll slide poles into holders and done.

Below is a great shop approved drawing. Let me know what y'all think, anyone ever tried this? Anyone with a flag holder who can say?
    Step 1 will be buy the flag pole holders, Find an appropriate rod. Then lastly the fabric.
    Do it!! Looks like a sound idea!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

it's almost exactly what nautty uses on the paragon for extended sunshade.
    fiberglas poles in the back corners go up to sunbrella that is attached to the back of the bimini.
    nautty are using some recessed holes that the 'glas poles go into that are super slick but likely a couple bills each.

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

should note this has been discussed on a different forum and iirc couple manufacturers are making them on a custom order basis in the $800=1k range and using actual bimini material.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Re-read the Big Air flag mount description.
    They use a 7/8" pole with rubber coating. The hole is more likely 1-1/8" or 1-1/4". So you open the possibilities of being able to run telescoping poles.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    should note this has been discussed on a different forum and iirc couple manufacturers are making them on a custom order basis in the $800=1k range and using actual bimini material.
    Yeah the paragon is where this all started and I remember seeing it discussed however every time it ended with $1000 options. My goal is about $400 all in. Considering $200 is just the flag pole mounts and ill probably just rob the rods from our shop.

I also thought about tent poles like the paragon but this idea would have the only mounting point at the tower and Because drilling basically fishing pole holders into my 2021 wake boat just seems painful haha
    It will also raise the height towards the back of the boat so maybe I can adjust it where you can walk out onto the swim deck without hitting your head

Disclaimer I think I will be lucky to shade the sitting area. I believe the rear sun pad and swim deck will unfortunately be exposed still..

But since no notable "no you are an idiot this will not work" has been said I'm going to go ahead and order the flag pole mounts today. Anyone know if BigAir offers any discount? Also gotta measure my A3 tower for the diameter...
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Yeah the paragon is where this all started and I remember seeing it discussed however every time it ended with $1000 options. My goal is about $400 all in. Considering $200 is just the flag pole mounts and ill probably just rob the rods from our shop.

I also thought about tent poles like the paragon but this idea would have the only mounting point at the tower and Because drilling basically fishing pole holders into my 2021 wake boat just seems painful haha
    It will also raise the height towards the back of the boat so maybe I can adjust it where you can walk out onto the swim deck without hitting your head

Disclaimer I think I will be lucky to shade the sitting area. I believe the rear sun pad and swim deck will unfortunately be exposed still..

But since no notable "no you are an idiot this will not work" has been said I'm going to go ahead and order the flag pole mounts today. Anyone know if BigAir offers any discount? Also gotta measure my A3 tower for the diameter...
    Just use fishing rod mounts.
    Most come power coated already and they are much stronger and offer 1-1/2" OD mounts. Much stronger rod and you can telescope to maybe cover some of the sun pad. Also way more cost friendly then the big air mounts
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Or something like this so you can change the angle easily as the sun changes position
    https://www.amazon.com/MonkeyJack-Sw.../dp/B0774J9TXV
    2020 Supra SA

https://www.roswellmarine.com/produc...ro-wake-tower/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX