Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Amp / wiring protection

My amp(s) are in the factory location, on the wall of the port side behind observer seat. Everything is wired nice and snug, but I'd like to put something over both amps and wires to protect them. Obviously I'd want something like a wire mesh or similar that wouldn't restrict what little air flow there already is down there.

Reasoning? When we have a full boat, I'm always paranoid that the stuff people cram in there will either somehow snag a wire and it'll get yanked out, or the amps will get suffocated and overheat when things get stuffed too close to them.

Before the "tell them to leave everything at home" crowd chimes in, I've done that and it's a non issue with our normal crew. However, often we have new people on the boat and inevitably there are purses, backpacks, towels, etc that get crammed under there. I have the room, so I'd much rather just fabricate a protective cage to ease my mind than be a boat nazi that complains when people bring stuff. After all, the idea is to have fun, and I'd rather just do this than get stressed out about it.

So, that being said, who has some ideas?
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

A wire basket type mesh around the electronics. You need air space for the amps anyway.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

in florida, people put a mesh screen around there pools to help keep bugs out, bet it would be easy to fabricate a screen wall to protect the amps.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

there is actually a good amount of storage space in front of the drivers foot well accessible by removing the right bow cushion. you may be able to split some of the storage up this way.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Default Amp / wiring protection

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    there is actually a good amount of storage space in front of the drivers foot well accessible by removing the right bow cushion. you may be able to split some of the storage up this way.
    Not if there's a sub in there. Since I plumbed in all of my bags I lost a lot of storage except for under the helm (in front of the sub) and in the amp compartment. I relocated batteries to give more room. The only thing I worry about is when it gets hot and there is a lot of stuff in there and it preventing airflow. I just try and pack the stuff as far away from the amps as possible in there.
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    Not if there's a sub in there. Since I plumbed in all of my bags I lost a lot of storage except for under the helm (in front of the sub) and in the amp compartment. I relocated batteries to give more room. The only thing I worry about is when it gets hot and there is a lot of stuff in there and it preventing airflow. I just try and pack the stuff as far away from the amps as possible in there.
    i have never seen a sub mounted in the location i mentioned. i thought about moving one of my stereo batteries over there but David from earmark made it sound like my boat would sink or something if I did so I guess its not a good idea haha
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    i have never seen a sub mounted in the location i mentioned. i thought about moving one of my stereo batteries over there but David from earmark made it sound like my boat would sink or something if I did so I guess its not a good idea haha
    My box for my sub underneath my helm extends into the area that you are talking about. I'm able to fit my box anchor there (collapsed) and that's about it. U see my bow seats is my IBS.
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Well I have that large hump from the factory there and I have an IBS user the bow too but with the IBS full I still have enough room between it and the hump under the helm area to fit 1 or 2 backpacks I would say. Now you can't access them if you have have the IBS full however

Sent from my iPhone
    David

David I get where you are talking about, but that's not a guaranteed dry spot, plus hard to use with IBS full.

I guess a mesh basket is what I had in mind. Kind of like a wire basket hunters would put around the bottom of feeders to keep the raccoons out. Just not sure what the easiest way to make one would be. I want it to be aesthetically pleasing, not some crappy collection of wire!
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

Make a frame out of electrical PVC conduit (the grey plastic pipe) and bend some varmint wire around it then use a few of the u shaped brackets they have to secure it to your amp board.