Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Holy Stupid Eff'in BMW

The wife has a 2008 BMW 335i with 52,000 miles. Repair Warranty ran out at 50k. Oh I still have a maintence free warranty till 100,000 but this only covers free oil changes, brakes, and well I don't know what else but not what I need it to cover!!

Wife on her way to work yesterday when car overheats and goes into limp mode. Dealership tows car to dealership and a diagnosis is done. Phone call comes just a few minutes ago and service advisor says its the electric water pump and repair bill is going to be 1199.00. I about fell out and now I am typing this post at my credit union. BMW will be traded in as soon as the repair is done. This is turned into a shi&@y day
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Wow bro sorry to hear that.

I know a guy who does all the work on his BMer and all his family BMers, he told me when we were looking at new cars dont ever buy a BMer or a Benz unless you plan to learn how to fix them. They are great cars but requires tons of upkeep and repairs.

The reason you dont hear about all this is because people think there hot chit owning one of them.

If i was you look into the Jetta or better yet Passat TDI like we have. Fully loaded Passat TDI SEL every option the factory has on Claudias car we got it for less then 35K. Shes consitantly getting 40+ mpg every tank. She gets about 650 miles a tank and it costs about 70 to fill it
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Oh man that sucks but the prices on everything (but salaries) have gone through the roof. Is it really worth trading over a $1100 bill?
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

I feel you Jason, wife 2.0 has a mercedes I cannot stand to even ride in! It costs us a ton everytime any little thing goes wrong! Would she consider one of these trusty rides?

Pacer.jpg
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    Oh man that sucks but the prices on everything (but salaries) have gone through the roof. Is it really worth trading over a $1100 bill?
    Now that the warranty has expired I'm thinking so yes. I'm not trying to drop a grand every time this thing needs a little service done. Oil changes are 200 bucks alone, granted you only get it done once a year but none the less I can't imagine what the future repair bills will cost. I used to tell everyone how great the BMW was and how above par the warranty package/maintenance free warranty was. Until 50k miles anyway. I'm literally sick to my stomach right now, I've never had this kind of repair bill on any vehicle I have ever owned. I guess all good things come to an end huh
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

What kind of idiot car company would use an electric water pump????

Bring Money Witchoo!

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Looks like BMW does David

Sent from my home phone..
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Jason, that sucks, I hate dealing with car issues. I currently have the '08 335xi. Previously I had a 2002 325i that was trouble-free for the 125,000 miles I put on it. But I did the preventative maintenance. The 335 is a bit more finicky and I don't expect it to last as long (without more repairs and maintenance that the 325). There are fuel pump issues with this model as well, and overheating issues as you've found out. I didn't have any issues, but there's a "trifecta" fix that my dealer did which replaced the high pressure fuel pump, the lifters, and something else (maybe injectors) which is BMW's remedy for this. The twin-turbo increases the potential for issues exponentially, but 300lbs of torque is pretty fun and much less expensive than an M3. If you want a trouble free car (which I do for at least the family wagon), it's going to be modest power, modest handling, non-turbo, etc. Can't beat the torque and handling (almost more important than power) for the price of the 335 IMO. Do you like the car for the performance otherwise? If you're not into that, then I would agree that it's definitely not worth the cost.

For others, I could go on an on about how I think what I have is the greatest, but there's enough of that on here...base price is mid-40's, pretty similar (or less) to the SUV's and trucks that most of us have to pull our boats, so I guess I don't understand the comments about BMW drivers' attitudes.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

So, is this the first (and only) thing to go wrong on the car? If so, chit happens and parts break. It could have been a Ford, VW, or Toyota, things break. How much do you thing new tires are going to be? Try around $1000 when it is said and done.

If you have had no problems with the car, you "know" it's history. Buying a used car is a guess on what issues it has had in the past and why it was removed by it's previous owner.

You should call the service manager and try to get BMW to cover some of that cost under the (expired) warranty. I had a Volvo that was 1200 miles out of warranty with broken engine mount. Volvo covered the entire part and half of the labor, even though it was out of warranty.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

first lesson is to find a local shop that repairs and specializes in that brand other than the dealer. most(notice I said most, not all) will suck you dry if given the chance. service advisors don't make a lot of coin and depend on writing repairs for income. most every large town has that "one guy" that is well known for that brand that will work for a lot less $$ than the dealers as they don't have the overhead and know the cars well. all the bmw guys here know hurless, not the dealer(peterson bmw) as the go-to shop for work.

fyi, rockauto has a steering pump for $218 rebuild. would be without your car for a week, but essentially they rebuild your exact unit. bet it's no more than 3hrs labor to r&r the pump. that should be in the $4-500 range at another shop plus a week without the car.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten