Default Sub install location port side

I see most are installing there subs under the dash. I am thinking about installing mine in the storage compartment where the amps are mounted on the port side. Is it bad that it will be closed up in there. I assume it will be fine kind like installing one in your trunk in the car audio world.
    Please let me know your thoughts.
    2014 Moomba Mobius LSV
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold

It sounds good in there, just won’t be as loud without the door open. In my ‘06 I had 2 W6’s in there. Whatever you install, it’s gonna have to get loud to overcome the padding all around it. I also had a single 12 under the helm to supplement the output.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Personally I think the sub inside the enclosed compartment sounds terribly muffled and a waste. It sounds like when your neighbors are having a party in their basement, next door.

Put it under the drivers dash where it can fire unobstructed into the cockpit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Why not put one in the doghouse and one under the driver's helm?

I think the one in the dog house adds some good thump.
    Last edited by Prospersigman; 09-12-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Comparing a direct-radiating woofer under the helm to a woofer closed in an insulated locker, there can be a significant difference in sound quality and perceived output. A closed woofer is like cutting your amp wattage in half. They tend to be less accurate sounding and radiate through the boat more. More of a boat shaker, then a bass maker. A direct radiating woofer, you hear more of the bass, compared to feeling it.

Under the helm would be the spot I would want to go first. The results are typically better. if I was going to place a woofer under the helm, it would be a 2nd woofer to compliment the primary woofer under the helm. if I was only going to do one woofer and it had to be in the closed locker, I would suggest venting the locker in order to gain some of that radiation back.

I have a pair of 10's that are under my helm firing forward. when I decided that I wanted more, I added a third 10" sub in a separate box that's on the back side of the primary box in the helm. It basically fires towards the starboard bow underseat storage, but it has a port that fires upwards into the space of the helm that's ultimately open (under my dash where my wiring and steering stuff is, but is still open near my legs). Throwing a sub in the Port observer compartment was never a consideration for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Personally I think the sub inside the enclosed compartment sounds terribly muffled and a waste. It sounds like when your neighbors are having a party in their basement, next door.

Put it under the drivers dash where it can fire unobstructed into the cockpit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ^^^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Comparing a direct-radiating woofer under the helm to a woofer closed in an insulated locker, there can be a significant difference in sound quality and perceived output. A closed woofer is like cutting your amp wattage in half. They tend to be less accurate sounding and radiate through the boat more. More of a boat shaker, then a bass maker. A direct radiating woofer, you hear more of the bass, compared to feeling it.

Under the helm would be the spot I would want to go first. The results are typically better. if I was going to place a woofer under the helm, it would be a 2nd woofer to compliment the primary woofer under the helm. if I was only going to do one woofer and it had to be in the closed locker, I would suggest venting the locker in order to gain some of that radiation back.
    ^^^^ THIS, with really cool techy explaination!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com