Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default can you surf with a single ballast on 2006 LSV?

Hello,

I am looking at buying a 2006 LSV. It has the 325 HP engine but only the single factory ballast. I have never surfed before and know very little about it. Will I be able to surf with only the single ballast? I am 6'2" and 200 lbs if that makes a difference.

From all the Moomba's that I have looked at, it seems odd that this boat came with the 325 HP engine, but only one ballast, and it being an LSV.

How tough and expensive is it to upgrade to a 3 ballast system? I am an advanced do-it-yourselfer, having rebuilt engines and manual transmissions. Plus, I am a pretty good plumber

Thanks

You can definitely surf with little to no ballast with the right board and speed but you need the boat leaning on your surf side - go with human ballast!

Based on your background and experience sounds like you could set that thing up no problem. Cutting holes in fiberglass is no biggie after your first one. The rest is basic knowledge of wiring and a little plumbing. Lots of forum articles and how-tos - although they may have ended up in the archives (see the light gray text link just left of center at the bottom of the pages).

When you say only one ballast - what exactly do you mean?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I think he means GI instead of GIII. Only a center(front) bag and no rear. I almost wish mine had been that way so I could have gone with 3 reversible pumps right off the bat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

For an basic setup buy some used 750lbs(or new) or 1100lbs from wakemakers and 1-3 tsunami pumps, maybe $500ish?

The more pumps the faster you are surfing. Search the forum foe where to put the weight, but I'd think you'd want 1100 in the rear, your center ballast full and some weight in the bow(throw a 750 bag on the seats)..

If you decide to upgrade to something easier you can reuse the bags and install reversible pumps. My boat had no ballast system, I upgraded over the winter from the tsunami pumps to a reversible pump system(4 of them). The install was pretty easy and ran around $2500ish for everything, pumps, hoses, fitting, switches, etc, etc...

http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-...ag-pump-combos
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    For an basic setup buy some used 750lbs(or new) or 1100lbs from wakemakers and 1-3 tsunami pumps, maybe $500ish?

The more pumps the faster you are surfing. Search the forum foe where to put the weight, but I'd think you'd want 1100 in the rear, your center ballast full and some weight in the bow(throw a 750 bag on the seats)..

If you decide to upgrade to something easier you can reuse the bags and install reversible pumps. My boat had no ballast system, I upgraded over the winter from the tsunami pumps to a reversible pump system(4 of them). The install was pretty easy and ran around $2500ish for everything, pumps, hoses, fitting, switches, etc, etc...

http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-...ag-pump-combos
    I have the exact boat, but with the Gravity III, I found it very hard to surf regular(without a rope) with stock ballast and even with 4 or 5 people in the boat on the surf side. What made a huge difference is an 1100lbs bag on the surf side. Now I can surf with just a driver in the boat. Some tips on surfing without the big ballast bag in the V drive locker:
    have a big person stand on the surf side gunwale and grab the tower while they lean off the boat (like they are trying to tip it over)
    play with your speed
    drive in a circle to to the side you are surf on

Good luck.
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    I have the exact boat, but with the Gravity III, I found it very hard to surf regular(without a rope) with stock ballast and even with 4 or 5 people in the boat on the surf side. What made a huge difference is an 1100lbs bag on the surf side. Now I can surf with just a driver in the boat. Some tips on surfing without the big ballast bag in the V drive locker:
    have a big person stand on the surf side gunwale and grab the tower while they lean off the boat (like they are trying to tip it over)
    play with your speed
    drive in a circle to to the side you are surf on

Good luck.
    Driving in a circle will not help at all really. Best bet is to just weight it right, have the right speed and go straight. I've never needed to have someone hang over the side. If you are doing all that you don't have enough weight. Get the right weight in the boat before someone falls over and goes under the boat while you are riding in a circle...
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Thanks for all the quick replies. I feel better about buying the boat now. The single ballast was my biggest worry. It sounds like a Wakemaker upgrade may end up being better than a factory Gravity III.

If you have more comments, keep 'em coming.

If it had the g3 you'd just be upgrading it all anyway. Good luck with the new boat. Lots of help for you around here.

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    Driving in a circle will not help at all really. Best bet is to just weight it right, have the right speed and go straight. I've never needed to have someone hang over the side. If you are doing all that you don't have enough weight. Get the right weight in the boat before someone falls over and goes under the boat while you are riding in a circle...
    My tips were for things that helped me when I didn't have the proper weight. They helped, didn't cure. Was never able to surf without a rope until I got the big bag in the V drive locker. Sorry I missed the fact you were on my boat when I was doing that stuff and noticed it actually didn't help me
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    My tips were for things that helped me when I didn't have the proper weight. They helped, didn't cure. Was never able to surf without a rope until I got the big bag in the V drive locker. Sorry I missed the fact you were on my boat when I was doing that stuff and noticed it actually didn't help me
    Simmadonna there honey, don't get your superman undies in a bunch. I never said I was in your boat I was simply stating that driving in a circle wouldn't really help and that the best thing to do was to get the boat weighted right...but anyway cool story though bro... 👍
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...