Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by pat656 View Post
    I have a 2006 Moomba Outback direct drive with 100hrs and it has a bad overheating problem.
    The engine kept reaching 190 degrees and went into the protection mode where you can only idle until it gets below 180.
    I had the impeller and thermostat replaced and i took off every water hose and inspected them for leaves/twigs etc since we spend a lot of time in the river.
    We went back out and it still ran at 180 degrees and cut off many times at 190.
    Then after a full day on the lake we parked the boat at the dock and had dinner. After about an hour we tried to start the boat and now it wont even start. We had to be towed to out trailer.

What might be causing this problem?
    Did you check the transmision cooler? Sometimes they get packed with debris and restrict water flow through the system. Take the 1 1/4" hoses off each end of the cooler and flush from the top (outlet end) of the cooler.

I suspect your no-start issue may be vapor lock ... the fuel has vaporized in the system, probably between the tank and fuel pump and the engine will probably start once the fuel turns back to liquid.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Nut View Post
    Did you check the transmision cooler? Sometimes they get packed with debris and restrict water flow through the system. Take the 1 1/4" hoses off each end of the cooler and flush from the top (outlet end) of the cooler.

I suspect your no-start issue may be vapor lock ... the fuel has vaporized in the system, probably between the tank and fuel pump and the engine will probably start once the fuel turns back to liquid.
    I did take the transmission cooler off when i inspected the hoses and cleaned the debris out (took off the hoses, pluged the holes where the trans fluid enters/exits and washed it out, no trash entered the hoses after cleaning)

We have had a problem with vapor lock before and took the gas cap off, waited a while, put it back on and i cranked right up but that didnt work this time
    Last edited by pat656; 06-28-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    2006 Moomba Outback
    Fusion Tower Speakers/Sony Xplod Amp
    Hyperlite Wakeboards/HO skis
    1600lbs balast

I have the exact same problem. Let me know if you get it resolved. I've checked everything and the only thing I can come with is the circulating pump. I even took it off but there's not much to it and it seems ok. Does anyone know how much water it should be pumping out at idle? (Mine pumps none at idle). thanks

pat, if you run hot at idle and not at speed, I would strongly suspect your circulating pump. With that pump, there are several possible problems.
    Be absolutely sure that your accessory belt is on correctly. I've seen the belt on some cars that has been put on so that the water pump is turning backwards. This will allow a slow flow of water. Check the impeller on this pump. Don't just look at it and assume that since it looks good that it is. Sometimes the impeller can spin on the shaft. Hold the impellar while trying to turn the shaft by hand to assure that it's still tight. It's a pressed fit and can corrode, thus becoming loose.
    One other thing is a faulty thermostat. I would completely remove it and see if that helps, just to rule it out.
    Keep us informed when you finally find the problem.
    www.louisianawakeboarding.com

2004 LSV
    Perfect Pass, Integrated ballast (front, rear, middle), Wake Plate, Tower mounted bimini, Swivel board racks, Surf board rack, Tower mounted mirror, Keel guard, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 2 amps, transom remote, Bow filler cushion, and the list continues to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by buzcoats View Post
    I have the exact same problem. Let me know if you get it resolved. I've checked everything and the only thing I can come with is the circulating pump. I even took it off but there's not much to it and it seems ok. Does anyone know how much water it should be pumping out at idle? (Mine pumps none at idle). thanks
    I will let everyone know. We took it from augusta, ga to charlotte, nc to a person to work on it and he spent a whole day and cannot find the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by K_E_N
    pat, if you run hot at idle and not at speed, I would strongly suspect your circulating pump. With that pump, there are several possible problems.
    Be absolutely sure that your accessory belt is on correctly. I've seen the belt on some cars that has been put on so that the water pump is turning backwards. This will allow a slow flow of water. Check the impeller on this pump. Don't just look at it and assume that since it looks good that it is. Sometimes the impeller can spin on the shaft. Hold the impellar while trying to turn the shaft by hand to assure that it's still tight. It's a pressed fit and can corrode, thus becoming loose.
    One other thing is a faulty thermostat. I would completely remove it and see if that helps, just to rule it out.
    Keep us informed when you finally find the problem.
    The thermostat is fine and the impeller is fine.
    I will ask the guy to check the circulating pump and belt
    2006 Moomba Outback
    1600lbs balast

thanks for the update, i like to follow threads and see resolution....you will get it fixed.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Yes, please let us know. I'm having similar issues.

Pat, did you ever get this issue resolved?
    www.louisianawakeboarding.com

2004 LSV
    Perfect Pass, Integrated ballast (front, rear, middle), Wake Plate, Tower mounted bimini, Swivel board racks, Surf board rack, Tower mounted mirror, Keel guard, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 2 amps, transom remote, Bow filler cushion, and the list continues to grow.

You may also try pulling the drain plugs on the block and observe if water comes out, and what the water looks like. If it looks like the water that you are in, then it should be good. If it looks rusty or muddy, then the water sleeves are clogged or gummed up. If you crank the motor, in water or on fake a lake, then you should get water streaming from these drain plugs. Running on rivers a lot you could have some dirt buildup in the water sleeves next to the cylinders, restricting flow at idle.

I assume that timing was not messed with with the spark plug changing. Improperly advanced timing will cause an engine to overheat.

I assume that the plug wires were reinstalled using the correct firing order, a misfiring may cause an overheating problem, and the misfire may not be easily noted under normal operating conditions on an EFI.

Some water pumps have a bypass valve, that opens under pressure, to ensure that the cylinders heat up evenly and do not develop "hot spots". When the thermostat opens, the pressure drops, and the bypass valve closes, and the water no longer is recirculated but rather goes through the thermostat and on the radiator/exhaust system. If this valve sticks, then most of the water will continuously circulate the block, never running through the thermostat and out of the engine block.

so we fixed it!!!! 1 MONTH LATER!!!!!

it was silicon in the thermostat from where the guy made a seal instead of buying a gasket and it needed a new salt water impeller

all fixed!!!!
    2006 Moomba Outback
    1600lbs balast