Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Brain, thanks so much for posting that information from SC. It's unfortunate that this is happening to a large number of the loyal customers on this site. I am sure there are countless other boats out there experiencing this issue that aren't on this forum.

In a perfect world, SC would make good on this as part of a 'recall' or something similar. However, we all know it's not a perfect world. I am really stoked to see the proactive approaches by a lot of you guys on here - personally I'm not ready to drill into the floor of my boat - but I am glad to know I have options. And from all appearances, these options have all worked, at least in providing a way to remove the water.

True, it's crap that this is occuring at all, and it would be awesome to dry the area completely up, seal it all 100%, and be done with it. But it sounds like there very well may be numerous places water can get into the place.

So, whether you do or wether you don't try to fix you boat, it makes me feel a little better that SC did have a little to say on it (though they needed prodding several times). I would caution to take their stance at face value, but I don't think they would lead us all astray, not when it comes to the structural integrity of their boats - and not when we all love our Moombas as much as we do!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    The guidance I was given, and asked to share with all of you, was to go through your dealer.
    Never gonna happen! I have the crappiest dealer ever who is known for screwing up work like this! Hell they overtightened my oil filter and then wouldn't take responsibility for the work even though they were the last ones to touch it when i let them winterize in late '08, they didn't even winterize properly! Then they wanted it for a week to get it off!

Nope, they will never see my boat again. The funny thing was I brought up my concerns to Natalie Carrera way back in '08 about them and she insured me that their previous reputation issues had been addressed. I guess they didn't take it seriously. I made the mistake of telling a buddy to go to them, they screwed his up too! My bad, shame on me ...

More thoughts ...

I'm thinking this needs to be looked at by a neutral third party and assessed, no manufacturer is going to own up to a defect in hull design or construction. If this is indeed a defective design then even the "fix" may not actually fix this at all. Like i said earlier, If the water is getting in from somewhere else then this won't correct anything right?

Think about it, '07 up boats have dripless shaft seals so where would that much water be coming from? The bilge? Not enough to fill that bow cavity. I have a really hard time believing that much water can flow through the small hole into the ski locker from the bilge and go forward and over into that cavity. Water over the bow would flow over, accross the floor and to the rear of the boat. Sure some would get to the ski locker, but not that much!

Currently i don't have a ballast bag in the ski locker, the pump is even removed so no water can get in there from the ballast system yet there is still water there. There's no leaks in the cooling system at all so what gives?

Take away all the other variables i've heard. Rain storms; nope, not me. Water over the bow; not since summer of '08. Wet gear in locker; nope, never. So where is it coming from? It's enough that i have to suck it up with a vac or multiple towels. I'll know more in a couple days. This makes me wonder if this issue isn't part of the reason for their Vinylester Barrier they apply? To protect against extra water in the hull and delamination?

Just thinking openly is all. The more i see and read about this the madder it makes me. I love my LSV and it's been 100% reliable, but this is not right and needs to be addressed by SC, especially since the list is growing every day!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Grant M View Post
    Thanks for the update Brainrinse. It would only make sense that with that water in there you have the potential for mold growth as well - which wouldn't be good.
    Grant read my previous post, #132.
    2007 Mobius LSV

When I removed all the foam, the water was very clear and there was absolutely no smell to the water or the inside of the compartment. I also just had the boat winterized so there was antifreeze in the motor bilge but there was no pink color to the water I was taking out for under the ski locker.

I just looked at lunch and there is another inch of water in the hole.

I have a real hard time with the comment SC made about the freezing of the water, that"s a lot of water and eventually SOMETHING will crake, break or heave over time. Yes it has some area to expand but the water should have a correct place to flow to and bilged out.

SC should at lest figure that out for us guys that do not have a Dealer in our area.
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by T100 View Post
    When I removed all the foam, the water was very clear and there was absolutely no smell to the water or the inside of the compartment. I also just had the boat winterized so there was antifreeze in the motor bilge but there was no pink color to the water I was taking out for under the ski locker.

I just looked at lunch and there is another inch of water in the hole.

I have a real hard time with the comment SC made about the freezing of the water, that"s a lot of water and eventually SOMETHING will crake, break or heave over time. Yes it has some area to expand but the water should have a correct place to flow to and bilged out.

SC should at lest figure that out for us guys that do not have a Dealer in our area.
    Mine was some nasty smelling $*it. Smelled like some fish had been stuffed up there and heated up really good, then left to cool, then heated up again, then left to cool, then heated up again, then.......
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle Head View Post
    Didn't Cab try that already?
    Yes, see post #86.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    They also mentioned drilling weep holes to allow water to somehow reach the bilge (I didn't understand this one) as well as the option of drilling a much smaller hole that doesn't require a deckplate and then using a reducer on your shopvac to reach the water.

So if you haven't already, take it up with your dealer, and report back on how you plan to address the issue. Personally, I like the bilge pump idea. Hmm....
    There is no way you can get all the water out without going to the bottom of the foam core or even sucking the water off the top. The foam is FULL of water also. Not sure where a guy would put weeping holes.....?
    Like I said before, SC should come up with a solution.
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma

Thanks mnpracing,

So this is what I decided to do to get the water out for the winter. As soon as I started to drill water came flowing out and a lot of it. Water was right to the top. I went with the larger 6" access hole to shop vac the water out.

Water is still leaking out as I covered up the boat, I'll vacuum more out tomorrow.
    I really like T100's "solution". It's out of the way, simple, and should do the trick. I'm thinking that a solution like this, once you get what appears to be all the water out, it won't be much of an issue. I could see opening this up after each outing, or once a month, or whatever to suck out whatever made it's way in - but once the majority of the water is sucked out, I wouldn't think we'd see these spaces fill completely up again... that is, unless the water is coming straight from the bilge, unencombered (sorry, word of the day!). But getting the majority of the water out would prevent damage that might occur from having the entire cavity full.

But, now that I think more about it, I've seen my ski locker have quite a bit of water in it after a few hours on the water, and no idea how or where that water came from. Similar to what Razz has stated several times... I rarely if ever take water over the bow, don't store wet things in the locker... interesting.

Hopefully things will survive one more winter, and I'll check to see if I have this issue in the spring...
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    I really like T100's "solution".

So to expand on that idea (which some have said) and to make this pretty much worry-free.
    • Drill a 6-8" opening in the ski locker floor comparable to the lowest collection point below.
    • Carve out foam circularly same diameter as deck plate to hull.
    • Insert circular screen from top to bottom in opening (similar to raw water filter screen).
    • Insert and secure an auto bilge pump (ex: Rule 500 series) into opening.
    • Plumb into front ballast drain.
    • Wire to existing bilge pump circuit or another 12v ignition source.
    • Insert a 6-8" deck plate in the ski locker and seal.
    So whenever the ignition is turned on the auto bige pump is operational and would be functional. A cylindrical screen will keep foam where it belongs and a clean area for the pump.

The biggest issue would be securing the bilge pump to an uneven surface. It would have to be very secure as that portion of the hull takes a bit of hammering unlike the stern bilge area.

The biggest plus to this which i believe was said, you wouldn't have to cut into your floor or worry about fixing the obvious defect (imo).

Hmmm ... I like this idea MUCH better than cutting the floor.
    Last edited by Razzman; 11-03-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I went with that location of the hole because when I looking at the belly of the boat that was the lowest point in the dip of the bow under the boat. As I shop vac-ed the water out, I raised and lowered the bow of the boat to get the flow of the water to move. That is why I noted the water was surprisingly coming from the rear of the boat after the majority of the water was vacuumed out.
    DOCDRS I am considering installing a bilge pump, that is way I went with the 6" access hole.
    ya read my mind, i'm going to have to check my boat out as well.....and with that at the rear of the locker you will prob be able to fish a line from in front of your fuel tank hopefully as it wont have to go far
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug