Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Window Tint?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdye View Post
    Curious did either try heat shinking?
    Ive been watchin that stuff on youtube just controlled heat really working from the middle out and also clean the window really well
    2007 Outback V

Keep in mind its tempered glass and it will make lots of little pieces out of one big one if you get it too hot.
    That was another reason I took it to a tint shop. If they break they pay for it. If I break it then having it tinted would have been a lot cheaper. Either way good luck let us know how you do it and post pics.

PWI as usual...

After talking on here and a few others Im starting to second guess myself being able to pull this off

The cheapest quote I found was 199 though so It looks as I may lets this mod go for awhile
    2007 Outback V

The cheepest I found was 175 so your doing pretty well. Those guys are usually willing to negotiate so push them a little.

PWI as usual...

I had a Tint shop do mine and I Love IT!!!! It is a great mod!!

Sled491 Guest

Years ago I owned a windon tint shop. Heat is the key. But remember if you do it on the boat as most would, you have a lot of tight spots where working the squege (spelling?) will be dificult. If you remove the window and lay it dowm to work the film better you limit your access with the heat gun.

Quote Originally Posted by sled491 View Post
    Years ago I owned a windon tint shop. Heat is the key. But remember if you do it on the boat as most would, you have a lot of tight spots where working the squege (spelling?) will be dificult. If you remove the window and lay it dowm to work the film better you limit your access with the heat gun.

One video I saw showed them preping everything on the outside, trimming, and heating to shape. Then pulled the backing and place on the inside of the glass as normal. Has any one tried this?
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

those were the same vids I was watching as well
    2007 Outback V

Guys, you really will want to remove your glass prior to tinting. I had mine done on my old boat by a pro-tinter and ended up with gaps around the edge's. He also had to use a heat gun. Again remove the glass or you just wont be happy with it as the rubber seals are not perfectly straight around the edge's.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Sled491 Guest

Yes you would trim on the outside and cut to shape, not sure about the heat gun at that stage. then clean glass with soapy water and a razor. Respray and apply while working the soapy water out and to the edges. When working the curves you will do the same thing while still working the water out and stretching the film with the heat. There is the tricky part. Keeping the surface wet so you can work the film but getting enough heat into the film so it will stretch