Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

did you buy the boat from Atlanta Marine?

season here is about to start - you need the boat to start!

this might be one that you need a pro to address, IMO.

Default boat cranks but wont startr

Just so I got this straight, the boat runs fine if you keep pushing the start button? Do you have any pics of the wiring that is spliced at the back and the back of the push button?

I would be looking to undo all the shotty work and fix any wiring that was cut into with solder and heat shrink tubing. I would also be removing the push button and trying a temp key or hot wire to eliminate it as the problem.
    -Jake

Based on what you just posted, replace the ignition with a standard key ignition.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    did you buy the boat from Atlanta Marine?

season here is about to start - you need the boat to start!

this might be one that you need a pro to address, IMO.
    Bought from the person who purchased it at Atlanta Marine. I'm on Oconee. My problem is my trailer needs work and I don't have a vehicle to pull it with anyway.

Already installed a standard key ignition and confirmed the wiring is correct.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    Based on what you just posted, replace the ignition with a standard key ignition.
    I'm pretty sure that's what he has done, but something is goofed up in the wiring from where the prior owner put in the push button start. Who knows what that person did either under the helm or back at the engine?

You might be able to track down the prior owner and get some idea of what they did. Otherwise, I think you're going to need to rip it all out as Jake stated. It's something I might not take on so that's why I suggested taking it to ATL Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Just so I got this straight, the boat runs fine if you keep pushing the start button? Do you have any pics of the wiring that is spliced at the back and the back of the push button?

I would be looking to undo all the shotty work and fix any wiring that was cut into with solder and heat shrink tubing. I would also be removing the push button and trying a temp key or hot wire to eliminate it as the problem.
    I installed a standard key ignition and confirmed the wiring is correct. If I turn it all the way to start the engine fires and starts but i can't hold it in START long because I will ruin the starter.

I will try to send you the picture.

Thanks.

boat 002a.jpg
    Hope this works.

My last boat did that. I found that during the start function, voltage went through a resistive wire. When the boat started and you went to the on position the voltage went from the resistive wire to another wire that was fused under the dash. These wires were feeding the coil. My coil was shorted. Got a new coil and replaced the fuse and all was fine. I have no idea if this will help you or not. This was on a 1985 Mercruiser inboard/outboard.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Quote Originally Posted by Bend View Post
    I installed a standard key ignition and confirmed the wiring is correct. If I turn it all the way to start the engine fires and starts but i can't hold it in START long because I will ruin the starter.

I will try to send you the picture.

Thanks.
    Picture attached. Thanks
    boat 002a.jpg