Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question unreasonable fear of flying seats?

we've had lots of discussion regarding the benefits of towing open vs covered and what covers to use etc... for me this will soon be a moot issue as my evolution cover is in transit. But it won't be here in time for this weekend which leads me to the question- is it an unreasonable fear to think that seats could blow out of my 2008 OBV at highway speeds? The logical side of me says A) the seats are tucked in pretty well and B) they don't "see" that much wind. But the worry wart side of me pictures a seat blowing out and causing a multi-car pileup on I-69. I could pull all the seats out and store them in the V drive compartment- but I need those compartments to hold all my gear on the way to the lake.

I see that some of you have added hinges to prevent this problem, but has anyone ever seen or heard of a seat actually blowing out of the boat?
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

I've heard of seats blowing out "a boat" but not a Moomba. I tow all over at highway speeds averaging 65 and have never had a cushion even move. Last weekend was bad with winds up to 22-25mph, again nothing moved. If anything was going to move it would be the cooler pad or the one behind the drivers seat imo.
    2007 Mobius LSV

2nd that, I've towed from the shop to storage on the interstate quite a few times and still haven't lost even the cooler seat yet. Just make sure all the seat tops are pushed on properly and you should be fine short of tornado weather
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

I just stow the one seat that has a gap under it where turbulence could pick it up. That's the XLV's double-duty seat (side bench in the optional cooler's spot, stadium seatback). The others are quite secure.

... and I never even did this for the first couple of years. It never budged.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

ok, my 03 lsv--the bench seat over the vdrive cover would start to float in mid air around 65mph-I could see it in the rear view mirror of my truck-the new owners had it blow all the way out at 70mph on the freeway, they got it back after running back on the freeway to retrive it. It was banged up but the structure was still ok.

Now on my 08 lsv Ive had the seat cushion (behind the driver) lift up and come off the seat base-found it in the middle of the boat when I stopped for gas. I was doing about 80mph that time.

I took and velcro'd the seat cushions down-Takes some force to lift them up, I did have to staple the velcro to the bottom of the seat cushion as it would not stick.

So yes the cushions can blow out

But now I have the Evolution towing cover and dont worry about it
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    So yes the cushions can blow out

At 80mph ya think?
    2007 Mobius LSV

The cushions in my OB DD never move, but I usually tow with the bow cover on, and main cover off.
    2013 Outback V

I towed all last summer uncovered and YES I have a lead foot and 80mph was not uncommon. However, no problems with seats growing wings thankfully

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I put double piano hinges on the cooler seat and the one behind the driver. Most of the reason was convenience but an unreasonable fear of flying seats helped sell me on the decision.

I have several thousand miles of towing boats at highway speeds (70 mph) with no lost cushions. However, it wouldn't be unlikely for it to happen. Your tow vehicle shape and boat shape will determine the wind patterns. Also, passing traffic (think semi trucks) can affect wind patterns that may provide a low pressure point above your cushions causing them to elevate out of your boat.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier