Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Help me build a system!

Currently have the stock kenwood's and very unhappy. I've been doing a lot of reading about the systems people have built. I'm looking closely at the wet sounds 3-some or double up as well as a the Exile XM7. I'm wondering what kind of power I'd need to put to these towers. I've already got 3 pairs of Polk db651s ready to go. I'm also looking for some recommendations for a sub. Will of course be doing a dual battery system and probably a ws420 EQ. Thanks for the input.
    2007 Mobius LS

Hi there bbyquist, as for the Wetsounds im not as versed in them but they take a similar amount of power to the XM7s. The biggest different right off is Weight and the ability to remove the speakers easily off your tower.

I know the center 485 i think its called Wetsounds is a 55lb speaker. Loud as hell and you will be "That guy" on your lake with it lol.

I personally have to put my boat away each week in the garage and lower my tower so i want to be able to remove as much weight off my tower as possible, that is one great thing about the XM7s.

Im a bit partial to Exile already since ive invested all my money and time into there products. I was seriously considering Wet Sounds though before i hooked up with Exile. Exile be local in Portland made it a lot easier for me because im a bit old fashioned and if i can go to the door or office of a company and deal with them then i will vs using the internet or a retailer.

Power wise XM7s are a power hungry speaker. They want 200+ RMS as does the Wetsounds. Tower speakers love power. Good solid clean RMS power that is.

You can blow a tower < HLCD > speaker very quickly by under powering it. Its a lot harder to blow it with clean RMS power.

The rest of your set up sounds very solid. If you have the chance to listen to Wet Sounds and XM7s i highly recommend it as this is what really matters. Both are comparable in price and need very similar amp requirements.

As for sub, straight up drop in enclosures are now available at Exile for your boat. Check my threads in the Audio section called. Fierah has a new stereo and Got Tunes? this shows the Exile box and Big 12 speaker. Exile has several other 12s that can go in this box. As well as any 12 will fit in this box. Speaker is highly dependent on what size amp is running it.

if you have more questions feel free to PM me or what ever

Correction the 485 is 33lbs but i meant to refer it as the 3-some set up is 55+
    Last edited by mmandley; 04-23-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I have Bullet HP 770's on my tower but if I had to choose between Wetsounds or Exile...Exile is a no brainer for looks, sound, and innovation. Wetsounds tower speakers are starting to look a little dated and the pod itself is so oversized looking for the speaker in it. The WS420 EQ is a must in a system of towers, cabins, and a sub. As far as power goes, there are so many good amps out there so that's going to be hard to decide. Also, I would consider a 3 battery setup, you're gonna kill a single stereo battery in no time on the water.

bbyquist, besides the obvious already stated and the pro quality of the Exile XM7 tower speakers i would also like to point out weight. Wetsounds are heavy which does place extra load on the tower as well as make it hard to raise or lower.

A WS 485 weighs 33.5 lbs / but two equals a whopping 67 lbs!
    WS Pro 80's weigh 13.5 lbs each / four is 54 lbs!
    The WS thresome weighs in at a portly 60.5 lbs!

Yet the Exile XM7 weighs just 6.7 lbs each for a total of 26.8 for 4!

The XM7 has superior features and materials. If you haven't heard them yet then you definately owe it to yourself to do so before making any decision. They are definately the future of marine tower audio.
    2007 Mobius LSV

mmandley, The PRO 485 DOES NOT weigh 55 pounds. If you go to our site, You can see a single 485 weighs just over 33 pounds. It is also quick disconnect as is the PRO 80. The PRO 485 and PRO 80 are quick disconnect and the PRO 80 also swivels with the PRO 60 and MB-8 able to upgrade to the TC2 quick release clamp

Bbyquist, the best advice I can give is to shoot me an email and I can see if I can find a dealer near you so you can go look and listen to the speakers and make an educated decision on what fits your goals.

Unfortunately on these sites, there is so much mis information and sales reps in disguise. It makes it very hard. Obviously I am biased, That is why I always say get the demo. Wet Sounds is the original when it comes to HLCD coaxial speakers. With the PRO 80 winning the exclusive Innovations Award in 2007 from the consumer electronics association for being a revolutionary design and the first HLCD coaxial wakeboard tower speaker. When comparing, listen to them all and take a look at build quality, open the speakers up and look at the components, materials used, speaker wire used, hardware, how are the crossovers mounted, For instance, our clamps are stainless steel, the grilles are stainless steel, 12 ga speaker wire, extensive crossover network, reinforced internal structures. Plus another huge plus is we have product out on the water for over 4 years. So we know what works and what does not in terms of reliability.

Here is a great thread from someone on wakeworld that was in your same boat, no pun intended! http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777846

If you want to A to B the XM7. It is a 6.5 inch speaker. Our PRO 60 is a 6.5 inch speaker. So this should be the way to compare the two to be fair.

Also, what are you overall sound goals? As the three systems you list are all going to give you different results.

Do you want to be the loudest on the lake? If so, the 3-Some is the ticket. There is a you tube video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7JCv0fZpfk This boat is running a 3-Some and you can see even with all the wind and noise how far you can here the system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rgOtngXvs Here is another 3-Some video

If you want a wake surfing system. The Double Up was designed with this in mind. It is a wake surf and party cove system. Tons of mid bass punch and full balanced sound. Still gets plenty loud for the rider but is more of a sound quality system for closer to the boat

If you want something that has great sound for the rider and only want to do a single pair, a single pair of PRO 80's. If you want the smaller housings with less output but still good volume, then the PRO 60 or some of the other ones out there.

But please let me know anything I can do to help get you set up with a demo

Tim
    Wet Sounds
    Last edited by Ed G; 06-30-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: removed link to business website

Tim, while it maybe the case on other sites, there are no sales reps "in disguise" here. All the reps that frequent this site are out in the open and honest without need to deal in mis-information. In fact if we were to catch one doing so or blazing away at the competition needlessly banishment would be the order of the day.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
    mmandley, The PRO 485 DOES NOT weigh 55 pounds. If you go to our site here http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/produ...O485_spec.html

Tim
    Wet Sounds
    Welcome to the site Tim. Before you go hollering at me and that's what it sounds like to me i was giving your product props. I said nothing that isn't fact. This is what i mentioned weighs 55 lbs.

I'm looking closely at the wet sounds 3-some.

As he stated he was looking at the 3 some and that 3 some combo weighs 55lbs.

Please read carefully, take a deep breath and calmly answer things. Dont make your first post here aggressive and on the defensive. No one likes that. I said nothing bad about your product, nor did i try to steer him away. I said in ending he needs to listen to both.

Im not a sales person eighter, im a customer like everyone else.

Mike
    Last edited by mmandley; 04-23-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

mmandley, this was what you said I know the center 485 i think its called Wetsounds is a 55lb speaker. That was the comment you made about the 485 alone and not on the 3-Some package.

That is why I got on here to clear that up. Don’t see how that was defensive. Just clearing up an incorrect statement you made. Nor was there anything aggressive in my comments.

Tim
    Wet Sounds

Quote Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
    mmandley, this was what you said I know the center 485 i think its called Wetsounds is a 55lb speaker. That was the comment you made about the 485 alone and not on the 3-Some package.

That is why I got on here to clear that up. Don’t see how that was defensive. Just clearing up an incorrect statement you made. Nor was there anything aggressive in my comments.

Tim
    Wet Sounds
    Your correct i did say the 485 alone but i meant to say the 3 some. I would never bash your product or talk it down to you.

I felt your approach was aggressive, and i know from reading a lot of your posts on WW your a very aggressive person and poster.

Lets both let this go as a mis understanding and call it done.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

OK, No worries.

Tim
    Wet Sounds