Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

benson, your right in that the bottom does not deserve from the top, but we have built it that way with too many tax loopholes and a code that no one really understands. as much as I hate to see KG out a job, it needs to be fixed to be simple. we would feel the effects of layoffs/unemployment for a few years but it would eventually even itself out.

granted this was a few years ago.. guy that worked for me. single breadwinner, 4kids and wife. makes somewhere around 40-43k. at the end of the year, we totalled up his irs federal contributions to the tax pool and it came to $740. he received a refund that year of almost 8grand. progressive flat tax will eliminate some of that pool of $$ being handed out to lower income. no tax deduction, some will think twice about having them. I don't have to tell you that refund didn't go to supporting a family, insurance or the such. new computer, new tv, etc... and I do not believe for a second that this is an isolated incident.
    my ex manages an optical shop. I can't tell you how many stories of single moms coming in on medicaid to get glasses for kids or self. they don't like the assortment as it's not really "fashionable" so boyfriend that is with mom whips out cash to pay for trendy products. they have same address, but don't get married as then mom loses benefits..

the whole system is screwed..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I certainly don't have the answers. The balance point between the humanitarian desire to not have people living in poverty vs. the desire to improve ones own condition and or meet your list of wants vs. the "Why do you deserve MY money?" is a difficult juggling act. We are not going to solve it on a waterski forum.

It would be interesting however, if instead of getting money from the government - when peolpe get a check it actually identifies a person - like "You just took $5000 out of the pocket from Joe Blow in Des Moines. He has 3 kids, one in college, and a mortgage and has been working his a$$ off for the last 25 years to improve life for his family. But you get his money. You should thank him."

Maybe if we made everyone in the world responsible for one other person - thats all - and it is not the person that is respsonsible for them. Then everyone would be taken care of.
    Last edited by BensonWdby; 11-16-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    We are not going to solve it on a waterski forum.
    I bet we could.

Why do I think this? Even with our differences, I am convinced the talent, insight, knowledge, and humility exhibited here by forum members could devise a system of health care that improves the lot of all, without destroying the insurance and healthcare industries, interfering in the doctor/patient relationship, centralizing control, or placing an unwanted financial burden on someone else, today or a future generation. Solutions to big challenges such as this can and need to come from us – you and me, regular Joes. I promise you they cannot come from inside the Beltway. Arrogance, pride, ignorance, immaturity, plain old stupidity, and a deeply disturbed legislative body presumably representing the interests of 330 million citizens defy the capacity for logic and reason. I know. I work there.

Keep the discussion going.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Default The Affordable Boat Act

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post

"you can be a 1 percenter in Arkansas as a whole with family income of $254,000." ... " in Arkansas, 43 percent have family income — family income — below $30,000 a year. You're in the upper third of all Arkansas families if you and your spouse make $50,000 or more."
    This blows me away! If your whole family income is less than 30,000 a year maybe the problem is staring you back in the mirror! I don't think big business is holding anyone down that low, especially since I work for a huge company and make more than that! When you see stats like that, IMO it doesn't show how bad big business is, just how stupid or lazy our society is. But then again I'm a priceless white kid so that makes up like 90% of my check right?

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    This blows me away! If your whole family income is less than 30,000 a year maybe the problem is staring you back in the mirror! I don't think big business is holding anyone down that low, especially since I work for a huge company and make more than that! When you see stats like that, IMO it doesn't show how bad big business is, just how stupid or lazy our society is. But then again I'm a priceless white kid so that makes up like 90% of my check right?

Sent from my iPhone
    I'm no fan of government subsidies, entitlement program, etc., but do you have a calculator on that iPhone?

Minimum wage in your great state of Texas is $7.25/hr. Do you consider McDonalds "big business?"

Do the math.

Minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage.

Minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage.
    Yet, that's what many are living on. Even still, double that wage rate & do the math.

Is it still the fault of the person in the mirror?

There is no fault - it is natural selection. Bottom line - not everyone can be a millionaire without taking all the money from the millionaires - but then there probably won't be any millionaires any more.

What do you suppose would happen if the 7.50 / hr folks started getting 50 /hr? The 50 / hr guys would start getting 400 / hr. your $3 burger goes to $10. Inflation. In a capitalisitic society you will always have income stratification. That is the built in incentive. Without that things get pretty dismal. A lot of life is unfair - just the way it is. I know what is like to be poor. In 1977 I was about a month away from being homeless. I was lucky and found work and pulled myself up through poverty to comfortable to slightly more than comfortable. No one helped me. I just lived within my means.

We're on the same page. I'm glad to hear of your recovery from a challenging situation.

It's unfortunate, but a brutal truth that there are plenty of dedicated, motivated and hard working people out there that will struggle to surpass $30k a year and belittling those folks is wrong, IMO.

It would be interesting however, if instead of getting money from the government - when peolpe get a check it actually identifies a person - like "You just took $5000 out of the pocket from Joe Blow in Des Moines. He has 3 kids, one in college, and a mortgage and has been working his a$$ off for the last 25 years to improve life for his family. But you get his money. You should thank him."

Maybe if we made everyone in the world responsible for one other person - thats all - and it is not the person that is respsonsible for them. Then everyone would be taken care of.

if you really think people will care where the money is coming from, you are living in a dreamworld. it has become an entitlement and the 99% don't care where it's coming from, just that they get the check every year.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten