Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for 1st boat...any suggestions/regrets/things you'd do differently?

Hey guys....

I am searching for my first boat after growing up on boats as a kid.

My parents have had a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter LX since new and for the past several years I've been able to use it as I like as they don't get out on it. They are ready to part with it and I'm ready to step up and get something of my own......but I want a V-drive boat.

I'm looking to stay under $40k and would like something as new as possible.

That brings up to Moomba's....seems I can get a 14 OBV for around that or less and wanted to hear from owners what their thoughts/concerns/regrets may be if any and what you guys would do differently if anything.

I'm also looking for used boats because of my budget so I think I can get into a 3-5 year old Axis/Tige, or a 5-8 year old Malibu/Mastercraft/Nautique as well. I understand there is probably a big difference in some of these boats but I'm coming from a 1996 so I'm hoping ANYTHING will be an upgrade, lol.

My typical crew is 3-4 adults and 1-2 kids.....which works on our 20ft boat, any concerns about this being comfortable on an OBV?

Ready, Set, Go! What would you do? WWYD?

Thanks,
    Matt

Welcome to the Moomba Forum, I am sure you'll get a lot of feedback and thoughts from other members. What are your plans when on the water? Surfing, skiing, Wakeboarding etc... All of those will play into the best boat for you. When comparing boat brands you'll notice some have all electronic controls and some will be all manual toggle type switches, that impacts the price. Our first boat was a 19 foot Stingray Stern Drive, actually worked really well for us but left me wanting the ability to do more on the water, got a great deal on my LSV and have loved it. The OBV is a great boat and could be a great starter for you and your family, also look at the LSV as it is a little bit bigger and you won't grow out of it very quickly. Mot sure your location, but here are a few for sale right now to give you an idea of pricing.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Moo...oma-45712.aspx
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Moo...ina-44844.aspx
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Moo...oma-41620.aspx
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Moo...hio-47214.aspx
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2014-Moo...nia-43100.aspx

Hope these help in regards to pricing of the LSV and the OBV. You'll find a number of members on this forum that started with an Outback and upgraded to a LSV, XLV or even a Mojo.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Thanks for the links! I've been scouring O/I for quite some time, lol. I have no problem travelling or having a boat shipped if I need to.

I updated my profile with my location but don't see how I can add a signature....help?

We plan to use it for most watersports to be honest. I still slalom occasionally, my daughter skis, we all wakeboard, kneeboard and tube. We are interested in learning to surf and trying something new.

I have heard/read quite a bit about buying a bigger boat first so you don't outgrow it as quick and have kept that in mind. I'm certainly not stuck on one boat/brand yet but we do have a 22' limit on our lake AND my garage is only 21' deep so if I want to continue my current storage situation I can't go much bigger. Obviously I can rent storage somewhere else but will not store a boat outdoors.

I definitely would like some large and spacious but have to consider at what cost it comes with, and keep in mind I've been happy with a 1996 Malibu SSLX for 18 years! So unless an OBV/similar sized boat is much different/smaller I can't see us needing much more.

A friend has a Malibu 247 and that is a HUGE beast. For the amount of people we usually go with and everything it would be overkill.
    Last edited by That Guy; 12-23-2014 at 12:45 PM.

To add a signature go to My Profile on top of the page and then click About Me.

We thought the size of the LSV was overkill, but it is so nice to have storage space and those times when you do have 8 people with you you're not all sitting on gear. Another option is the Mondo. I grew up with MC and a buddy in town has a X9 DD, big time skier, he's skied behind my LSV and likes it, it's nothing like his DD but for a V-drive the LSV in my opinion is a versatile option.

Are you a Buckeye? We own a house in Blacklick and are OSU Alum. What lake do you plan on going to most?
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

We've had our '13 OBV for a couple of seasons now and just love it. For your crew size you would have plenty of room in the OBV. IMO, it allows for ALL the fun activities (i.e. skiing, surfing, wakeboarding, tubing, etc. etc.) the best of any boat in the Moomba line, but it's certainly not the best at any one of those things. I guess you could say that it's the "jack of all trades". But if you see yourself going more in the wakeboarding and/or surfing direction exclusively in the future some of the bigger models may be the better choice. If so and you are willing to spend a bit more $$$$, the Mondo and LSV may be better options due to their larger size and slightly better surf wake.

Good luck with the search and you really can't go wrong with any boat in the Moomba line!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Pm sent to you
    2008 Outback<-----SOLD
    2009 Mobius LSV

having had a 20ft supra ssv(bro to the obv), I'd say go lsv if it'll fit the lake/garage requirements.
    obv is a great boat but the extra size/freeboard of a tad bigger boat means you might not "grow out of it" as quick. had I started with lsv, probably still have it.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    Welcome to the Moomba Forum, I am sure you'll get a lot of feedback and thoughts from other members. What are your plans when on the water? Surfing, skiing, Wakeboarding etc... All of those will play into the best boat for you. When comparing boat brands you'll notice some have all electronic controls and some will be all manual toggle type switches, that impacts the price. Our first boat was a 19 foot Stingray Stern Drive, actually worked really well for us but left me wanting the ability to do more on the water, got a great deal on my LSV and have loved it. The OBV is a great boat and could be a great starter for you and your family, also look at the LSV as it is a little bit bigger and you won't grow out of it very quickly. Mot sure your location, but here are a few for sale right now to give you an idea of pricing.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Moo...oma-45712.aspx
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Moo...ina-44844.aspx
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Moo...oma-41620.aspx
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Moo...hio-47214.aspx
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2014-Moo...nia-43100.aspx

Hope these help in regards to pricing of the LSV and the OBV. You'll find a number of members on this forum that started with an Outback and upgraded to a LSV, XLV or even a Mojo.
    The first one you got listed is mine sorry going to pick it up January 12th
    The second one the guy said he'll take 38,500
    2008 Outback<-----SOLD
    2009 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

I updated my profile with my location but don't see how I can add a signature....help?
    No sig allowed until you have a few more posts under your belt.

Nice screen name BTW. These guys will be more than happy to help you spend every penny you have and then some...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Hey guys....

I am searching for my first boat after growing up on boats as a kid.

My parents have had a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter LX since new and for the past several years I've been able to use it as I like as they don't get out on it. They are ready to part with it and I'm ready to step up and get something of my own......but I want a V-drive boat.

I'm looking to stay under $40k and would like something as new as possible.

That brings up to Moomba's....seems I can get a 14 OBV for around that or less and wanted to hear from owners what their thoughts/concerns/regrets may be if any and what you guys would do differently if anything.

I'm also looking for used boats because of my budget so I think I can get into a 3-5 year old Axis/Tige, or a 5-8 year old Malibu/Mastercraft/Nautique as well. I understand there is probably a big difference in some of these boats but I'm coming from a 1996 so I'm hoping ANYTHING will be an upgrade, lol.

My typical crew is 3-4 adults and 1-2 kids.....which works on our 20ft boat, any concerns about this being comfortable on an OBV?

Ready, Set, Go! What would you do? WWYD?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Matt, I you want to check out our Mondo its at my office in Grove City. We boat on Griggs, Deer Creek, and Buckeye when boats in Ohio. Most hours come from being at Norris Lake, TN. There should be plenty of LSV model in your range along with a few Mojo now that they are out. Our Mondo is the shortest boat we have owned in the past 12 years, but feels larger than the 06 LSV we had due to depth of the cockpit.