Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

I would say at low altitudes, you would be hard pressed to run out of engine with the 400,

High altitudes is where the 450 might be required and the option of the SC575 starts to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I would say at low altitudes, you would be hard pressed to run out of engine with the 400,

High altitudes is where the 450 might be required and the option of the SC575 starts to shine.

There’s no 575 option.

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    So I am in the process of ordering my Makai (have to lock everything in before the end of the year for the Febuary build date) and I have had this very concern about the 400 vs the 450. I brought this point up with my dealer and they suggested that we hit the water again with the boat and load it up. Their boat has the 400 with the wake prop upgrade (OJ 945 15x13). We ran the boat with 6545# of total ballast/displacement, I was wanting to go to 7500# to see how it would handle it but we didn't have access to any additional ballast in the time frame we had to get it done in and apparently I need more friends LOL.

Our ballast/displacement was as follows: 4,000# standard ballast, 1100# lead, and 7 people @ 1445# = Total 6545#

Also to be noted we are in Houston, Texas so elevation is a non factor

To test the motor we ran the boat with Autowake OFF so that we would retain all of the ballast and not dump any. We ran the boat from 10.5 MPH to 12.5 MPH to see if there was any change in RPMs and @ 10.5 MPH the RPMs were 3400 steady!!! @ 12.5 MPH the RPM gauge flickered to 3500 twice but ran 3400 98% of the time so I called it 3450 RPMs (since the display does not show 50s).

If I am being honest I was pleasantly surprised at how the 400 performed with the weight. I would have loved to have seen how much the RPMs changed and how the 400 would have handled another 1K but I was happy to be able to get out and see how it did with that weight.

Now all of this being said if we were to keep throwing ballast in the boat there will definitely come a point where the 400 will not be able to over come the load and the 450 should be able to. The question is what is that limit and is it even worth considering? Unfortunately I wasn't able to find that limit on my trip but it is definitely not 6,545#.

So for the time being I have my boat spec'd with the 400 and feel good about it but I would be lying if I said I still don't have a little voice inside me saying "spring for the 450!!" LOL. I have asked my dealer what the cost is to upgrade and they said $6,321. While that is less than 10% of the overall cost for a Makai that money could go a long way in boards and mods!
    That’s great news. Worth the time to test. I have absolutely no idea how the RPMS would stay the same from 10.5-12.5 mph. Did I read that right?

I haven’t counted people weight before. I have run 2100 lbs of additional ballast plus 4 people on the 450 and it runs 3700 or so rpm. And it’s starting to work hard. I suppose we were someplace around 7000 total weight.

One thing to note and consider—to make the primo surf wave, the boat has to be at 9.5 degrees nose high and 3-4 degrees list with 20 or less of center plate(preferably zero), and 50 or so of surf plate (40-50 seems ideal).

Depending on how you have that weight in the boat, what attitude/angles you’re running at, and how much center plate/surf plate you’re using , the load on the motor can vary drastically at the same loading.

In other words, I could probably put 8000# in a boat and get it to run “easy” if the weight and plates were arranged as such to allow that.

If you were able to get these results under ideal pitch/roll/plates for primo surfing, then you’re golden. But I still have no idea how the RPMS would not change in 2 mph? That’s wild.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    That’s great news. Worth the time to test. I have absolutely no idea how the RPMS would stay the same from 10.5-12.5 mph. Did I read that right?

They didn't stay the same as it did flicker to 3500 a few times @ 12.5 but never stayed there where as @ 10.5 it stayed at 3400 the entire time. Due to the lack of precision of the RPM Gauge (showing increments of 100 vs 50) I assumed it to be 3450 but I guess it could have been 3499 the whole time.... There was no way to really tell unless there is another screen that shows it more precisely that i missed which is very possible.

I would consider 3400-3499 for all practical purposes “no change.”

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    They didn't stay the same as it did flicker to 3500 a few times @ 12.5 but never stayed there where as @ 10.5 it stayed at 3400 the entire time. Due to the lack of precision of the RPM Gauge (showing increments of 100 vs 50) I assumed it to be 3450 but I guess it could have been 3499 the whole time.... There was no way to really tell unless there is another screen that shows it more precisely that i missed which is very possible.
    By the way I have not found that screen. I think you’re just stuck with a rough guess on the RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    One thing to note and consider—to make the primo surf wave, the boat has to be at 9.5 degrees nose high and 3-4 degrees list with 20 or less of center plate(preferably zero), and 50 or so of surf plate (40-50 seems ideal).

Depending on how you have that weight in the boat, what attitude/angles you’re running at, and how much center plate/surf plate you’re using , the load on the motor can vary drastically at the same loading.

In other words, I could probably put 8000# in a boat and get it to run “easy” if the weight and plates were arranged as such to allow that.

So when we did the "loaded" test we did use Flow 2.0 set to port side surfing. Then we did turn Autowake on with Flow 2.0 and I jumped in the nippy 55Deg water to give it a go and the boat did pump off a little ballast (less than 10% @ the bow & starboard side) to achieve Ideal pitch and roll. Me jumping out also took 230# out of the stern on the port side. With the speed set to 10.8 the boat was running 3400 RPM as well. Now I wasn't behind the wheel so I am not sure if it was bouncing to 35 or 33 at any point in the runs but my buddy said everything he saw was 3400.

I do understand and completely agree with your point that a boat can be manipulated to run "easier" due to ballast placement moving the CG. I was doing my best to put the weight (my friends) in place so that the boat would retain as much ballast as possible and still achieve the right angles.

Don't forget you can reprop too, your demo may have had the standard prop or the upgraded prop. I only surf so I don't care about top end.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

His motor is actually turning at very very low rpm given the situation. His prop is potentially too good....*