Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Blue Sea Add A Battery Install

Thought I would share some pics of my add a battery install - it's a work in progress. I cut a hole behind the battery switch and ran the battery cables thru it for easier cable routing and a cleaner look (both batteries will go behind the panel that the battery switch and ACR are mounted on). I am using thermal circuit breakers all around instead of fuses (thanks for that tip Razz!). One thing I learned is that you can use 2/0 welding cable instead of 2/0 battery cable. It's a lot more flexible (uses much finer strands compared to battery cable) and easier to work with and is about the same price. I only needed a couple of feet to go from the battery to the battery switch.

BTW, all of the speaker wires hanging on the left is the stock wiring that I am replacing. Have not gotten around to cutting them yet.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thumbs up

Welding cable is a great idea! looks good keep us posted.

PWI as usual...

what the heck is welding cable? Looks like thick power cables for car audio?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    what the heck is welding cable? Looks like thick power cables for car audio?

Welding cable is the cable used to connect the welding rod holder to the welder. It has to be flexible so that it can be coiled up for storage. They accomplish this by using much finer copper strands (but the same overall thickness) as battery cable as well as a more flexible insulation material. I went to a small local shop that replaces batteries and works on alternators looking to buy battery cable and he suggested the welding cable. He says they use it all the time for battery cable. Cost was $6/ft for 2/0 which is a little cheaper than NAPA sells 2/0 battery cable for.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Welding cable is the cable used to connect the welding rod holder to the welder. It has to be flexible so that it can be coiled up for storage. They accomplish this by using much finer copper strands (but the same overall thickness) as battery cable as well as a more flexible insulation material. I went to a small local shop that replaces batteries and works on alternators looking to buy battery cable and he suggested the welding cable. He says they use it all the time for battery cable. Cost was $6/ft for 2/0 which is a little cheaper than NAPA sells 2/0 battery cable for.
    Thanks Cab!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Great pics of your upgrade. I am new to the boards. I have 2000 Outback LS and adding a battery and looking to redo the whole battery setup. Can you help me with why the thermal circuit breakers are the way to go?

A fuse or circuit breaker as shown is generally used for the protection of the boat (rather than the amplifiers) in the event of an accident, boating or otherwise. For example, before a 4 or 2-gauge wire would burn through from a direct short it could potentially start a fire. So the amplifier(s) fuse or breaker should be located very close to the battery, battery switch or switching solenoid.
    Most people will use a fuse in a sealed holder up to around 60 amps. But after that most will graduate up to circuit breakers. There is a cheap and quality version of anything but in a quality circuit breaker its sealed and ignition-proof when it trips and is less prone to corrosion than a fuse. We only use quality breakers and haven't had a single failure in over 10 years of having a dedicated marine division.

David
    Earmark Marine

Al, what is the black item right under the battery switch?, then what is the next item down?

Thanks
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

A voltage sensing relay (automatic stereo battery combiner/separator) followed by what appears to be two unused breakers at the moment.

What kind of Thermal Curcuit breakers in these pics? Trying to find them online for my system...

Thanks