Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What/How to polish the gel coat??

I have a '01 LSV (Yellow and White) and one of my winter projects is to buff out the gel coat after seeing 98Roo's post of bringing his boat back from the dead. My '01 is not as bad as 98Roo's but we bought our's earlier this year from a guy that let it sit outside alot.

I am having the interior redone and want to bring the shine back to the gel coat and get rid of the side "Mobius" stickers (I still don't know what that is)

What do I need?
    1. A rotary buffer?
    2. What polishes?
    3. Any helpful suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on how to polish up a rad-a-cage tower?

I really hope I don't have to wet sand the entire boat as I have a messed up shoulder, am old, fat, bald, etc, etc.... Just wet sanding my sub enclosure was a pain to me (and I have at least two more to build!!)

Thanks, Eric.

Two choices IMO:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351479084.151538.jpg

The small one does a great job and is very user friendly, I strongly recommend it, especially for beginners. I have gone around with different products but must say the 3M compounds are my current favorites.
    I have brought back some severely oxidized gel coats without sanding. Wish I had before pics but the blue stripe around the top of my boat was almost white it was so oxidized when I got it.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351479682.715639.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351479756.396184.jpg
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    ...I have gone around with different products but must say the 3M compounds are my current favorites...

1. Any particular recomendations as to which of the 3M products? They seem to have quite a few
    2. What is the best place to pick them up? At the local auto paint supply?

Thanks, Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    I have a '01 LSV (Yellow and White)
    ^This I would like to see. Do you have the light metal flake finish in the yellow?

I've wondered myself about buffing too far into it and messing that up. Also having to deal with ghosting around the letters where decals are removed. Saw another member's blue boat that was pretty bad after decals were removed and a whole lot of work to take it out, but I'm thinking/hoping yellow would not show up as much.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    I have a '01 LSV (Yellow and White) and one of my winter projects is to buff out the gel coat after seeing 98Roo's post of bringing his boat back from the dead. My '01 is not as bad as 98Roo's but we bought our's earlier this year from a guy that let it sit outside alot.

I am having the interior redone and want to bring the shine back to the gel coat and get rid of the side "Mobius" stickers (I still don't know what that is)

What do I need?
    1. A rotary buffer?
    2. What polishes?
    3. Any helpful suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on how to polish up a rad-a-cage tower?

I really hope I don't have to wet sand the entire boat as I have a messed up shoulder, am old, fat, bald, etc, etc.... Just wet sanding my sub enclosure was a pain to me (and I have at least two more to build!!)

Thanks, Eric.
    No idea on the tower, but I would love to hear others. Here was my post on a Blue 2003 LSV.

http://kearneyville.com/2012/02/27/f...oat-detailing/

-- bk
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

Quote Originally Posted by bkearney View Post
    ...Here was my post on a Blue 2003 LSV.

http://kearneyville.com/2012/02/27/f...oat-detailing/

-- bk
    BKearney, Nice job, that is the kind of results that I am looking for.

Did you ever try to repair the gel coat scratches? I am sure I have a few as this summer was the year that I taught the kids how to launch and load the boat, with a few "mishaps"

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    ^This I would like to see. Do you have the light metal flake finish in the yellow?...
    No metal flake at all, and what would you like to see?

Eric.

few pics of your boat - sounds like a twin to mine almost. Same kind of maintenance and TLC things going on.

I didn't know there was an LSV in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    few pics of your boat - sounds like a twin to mine almost. Same kind of maintenance and TLC things going on.

I didn't know there was an LSV in 2001.
    I don't know either, that is just what we call it, because we have no idea what it is other than a Moomba and it is a V-drive. I still don't know what a "Mobius" is!!

These are a couple of pics after just picking it up and one of the new Bimini and tower speakers.

Eric.

Banana (1).jpgMoomba 1.jpgDSCN2435.jpg

Love that bimini! That is what I want to go with - over the tower, strapless, duo color. Very sharp!

I don't blame you on wanting to lose the decals - heard those referred to as the "Barbie graphics" more than once. LOL