Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How much do you adjust your wake plate (trim tabs)?

So I'm curious. I've got a wakeplate (trim tab, cavitation plate) on my Supra Sunsport Direct Drive. I can adjust it manually by screwing the turnbuckles. it will basically bend it up or down, mine doesn't have hinges.

I've considered adding a hinge (or retrofitting a pair of trim tabs) along with a pair of the Lenco electric trim tab actuators to allow some on the fly adjustment. Furthermore, I figured that if I was going to be doing it, I might as well separate the trim tab so that there's one for each actuator. Why not have a smidge more control and be able to adjust a trim tab for the port and starboard actuator independently, right?

Also, what do you all think about the idea of mounting trim tabs further apart, like on the parts of my hull that are on either side of the "flat" middle section?? Like mounting them on the next flat sections over (under the exhaust outlets). Obviously that could be problematic if I later decided I wanted a FAE (which I DO intend on doing in the future)... So add discussion on mounting two tabs together where the OEM plate is vs. mounting them father apart on the hull...

So, I've read from a couple people on the Supra forums that did a retrofit that they really don't use the added control/functionality--rather that they just put it all the way up and pretty much leave it there.

So, I don't want to throw good time/money at a project that's not going to produce a meaningful return on that investment.

Therefore my question is to those of you that DO have power wakeplate/trim tabs, do you use it? How significant is it to your wake/surf/ski experience??? Would you miss it terribly if it was fixed like mine? I would love some input to determine if a project like this would be worth pursuing...
    Last edited by trayson; 10-09-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I use mine a lot for varying things.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

with the brand of boat I currently own, it has a numbering system from 1-8. I use it at 3-4 for surfing, 7-8 for boarding and 0 when running out to the bay. it's adjusted several times an outing and even when surfing, 2 makes the wave somewhat smaller for skim and 4 is better for surfstyle.

I have never owned a boat without one so I really can't say how the experience would be different without it, but I can say some friends had a sanger that added a somewhat large movable plate and it did wonders to the shape of the wake. a movable plate was a must when they shopped for their latest boat.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

My outback had no plate at all and it was a bear to weight right for different activities. I use the plate on the LSV all the time depending on the specific activity, speed of the boat and even the size of the rider. I would not enjoy the boat nearly as much without it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I had a 2000 Launch DD that had an adjustable trim tab. That looks non-factory, did you add that?

Anyways, regarding your question...my trim tab motor locked up and stopped working about 2 years ago. Ironically, it was stuck directly flat (50% on the gauge) so exactly how yours is. Before that, I did use it to shape my wake for wakeboarding and surfing. However, after not having it for 2 seasons, I could've cared less and never saw a need to change it. At perfectly flat, the boat still had a great wakeboard wake and surf wake, so I just never bothered to fix it. It also added some anti-cavitation effects when tubing or skiing or whatever, so it was nice to have just that little bit of hull extension.

However, now on my LSV, I use the wakeplate adjustment all the time. I surf with it all the way up because I like a steep wake, and some other people I ride with I lower it some to give them not quite that steepness. It significantly changes the wake for surfing. For wakeboarding, I like mine about 75% up so a relatively steep wake. You can watch the wake change as you move the plate, and it's surprisingly drastic. I also noticed that the V-drive boat is much more prone to cavitation than my DD ever was, so I also use it when going fast (skiing, tubing, or just driving around) to eliminate that cavitation. I did not notice as drastic of a change in the wake on my Supra Launch DD, and my DD also did not ever cavitate with it perfectly flat.

In my opinion, it's useful but not necessary. On your boat, same as my Launch, I don't think it will be as useful as it would be on a v-drive. If it's a project you want to take on that won't cost you a whole lot of money, it would be worth it. If it seems too expensive to you and you're hesitant due to that, I wouldn't do it.

I think if you are going to take on a project, it would be interesting to add two trim tabs spaced apart. I can see that beneficial in creating an artificial list to your boat to help the surf wake, and also you can easily adjust the list to even out the wakeboarding wake. I've actually wondered why no manufacturer is doing this on wake boats (off shore boats have that setup), but I would have to assume they tested it at some point and it doesn't work well so they don't do it. Maybe somebody more involved with the industry would be able to comment on that.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

I use my wakeplate, more than anything, to help get on plane when we don't have anyone in the bow. (manual version of auto plate basically). I don't use it to shape the wake all that much but I couldn't say I would be OK with it being gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    I think if you are going to take on a project, it would be interesting to add two trim tabs spaced apart. I can see that beneficial in creating an artificial list to your boat to help the surf wake, and also you can easily adjust the list to even out the wakeboarding wake. I've actually wondered why no manufacturer is doing this on wake boats (off shore boats have that setup), but I would have to assume they tested it at some point and it doesn't work well so they don't do it. Maybe somebody more involved with the industry would be able to comment on that.
    MC uses "surf tabs" or at least used to. Look at "Bennet tabs", I think.

Here is a link to a Moomba edition of the idea. And a pic of a MC

http://www.waterskis.com/Surf-Tab-Insallation-s/620.htm

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default Re: How much do you adjust your wake plate (trim tabs)?

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post

MC uses "surf tabs" or at least used to. Look at "Bennet tabs", I think.
    Bennet tabs are the most popular brand of adjustable boat tabs I believe.

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

This looks interesting. I would love to know if this really works. Very professional installation.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Ballast III (stock), Heater, Roswell Quad Spin Pro, Bimini

interesting wax that my bud has a boomerang dd with the same manually adjustable "wakeplate". he doesn't mess with his at all and has zero cavitation at any speed where it was a very nice thing to have on every vdrive I have owned/ridden in.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    I had a 2000 Launch DD that had an adjustable trim tab. That looks non-factory, did you add that?
    Mine came with the plate from the factory. It even talks about it in the owners manual.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com