Default Double vs Single Axle Trailer

I purchased a 2007 Moomba Mobius LSV with a single axle boatmate trailer. I'm going to be traveling with the boat a little bit this summer; a couple of 4 hour trips. I'm leaning towards trading in the trailer to get a double axle as this would bring me some piece of mind. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. The trailer and tires are in excellent condition.

Default Double vs Single Axle Trailer

I would rather have the tandem as well, but have pulled 7 hours each way on a single at least once per summer since 09. It just comes down to how much the single worries you and how much you'd pay to take some of the concern away.

Whatever you decide, watch the age of your tires. Go by the date on the sidewall, not the age of the boat or trailer.

If you can, tandem axle, it is a big piece of mind for me. I am not sure of the exact year span, but there were issues with some axles.

I have a single axle trailer and tow it 10-12 times a year on 3 hour trips (1-way) since I bought it new in 05 with no issues. It's an 05 LSV. I have changed the tires twice and the bearing oil 3 times since 05.
    All good so far.
    2014 MOJO 345 Surf - Sold
    2005 Mobius LSV, carb - Sold

You'll probably be fine if you keep it in good working order and inspect regularly.

However.... After having a tandem for years and experiencing a blowout at freeway speed I can't see myself ever opting for a single axle if given the choice. Pucker factor was high enough with the tandem. Single would have given me a heart attack.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

moombadaze is the expert on this subject! Shoot him a PM

Thanks for the responses. I have checked tires, but will double check them. I may take the trailer in for service before the trip. I will take my time and look for a double at some point. Anyone know the ballpark price for a double-axle Boatmate? $4,000???

Quote Originally Posted by Deekmann View Post
    $4,000???
    Probably more.

I bet it would be cheaper to have a custom trailer shop add an axle to your trailer.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I trailer my boat 2 hours each way to my cottage a few times a year. I wanted a tandem, but went with a single because I have to move my boat around inside my barn by hand. Trying to turn a tandem by hand would be a real pain.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

I have a neighbor selling a double-axle boatmate for a Supra, and you can get it for a lot less than $4k. It looks identical to the trailer I had for my 2000 Supra Launch. It's in great shape. PM me if you want his number.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV