Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Clamcakes View Post
    You're going to love the sound of those Polk MM mids. Swapped out the stock Kickers for 3 pairs of the Polks and they sound great.
    I do! They sounded pretty bad from the factory but that was because the bow speakers were powered by a POS marine audio amp and the four cabin speakers were run straight from the head unit. It wasnt even loud enough to overcome the wind and engine noise at wakeboarding speed before they would start to distort. I picked up the JL audio amp from a friend and now they are loud and crisp.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

How do you have those Polk MMs wired with your amp? I used to run the Polk MM's in mine but they were rated at 2.7ohms (the straight MM ones, not the MM650UM). Couldn't wire them to go parallel on the amp because I wasn't stable below 2ohms and that supposedly would have landed me at 1.35. I never tried it but that was the advice/warnings I got.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I have the two bow speakers on channels 1 and 2, the four cabin speakers in parallel on channels 3 and 4. Honestly I just assumed they were 4 ohm. I pulled one of the speakers and it says it is 3 ohm. The thing I don't understand is as you can see it says "mm651um" which is a 4 ohm speaker. I'm kinda confused, but they do sound really good. I have noticed however that the amp gets hot but I kind of expeted that from a class a/b amp. It has never shut off on me yet, even after playing all day.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Hmmmm - I was running mine with a Kicker 350.4 so putting out roughly the same power as your JL 360 but I was still underpowering them a fair amount even at the 2.7ohm load. Debated on upgrading the amp or downgrading the speakers, decided on the latter as it was less $$ and fitting a bigger amp in wasn't looking good. Now of course I'm second guessing that....

I hear you on the heat and I guess that is to be expected. My cabins run at 4ohm and the amp stays fairly cool. My towers run at 2ohm and that amp is definitely hotter all the time.

The black grills with silver lining look sharp with your color scheme!

I might try to eventaully upgrade to the JL xd600/6. That or swap the speakers out for the JL audio MX series. I really like the look of them with the sport grilles and i've heard the soound quality is great on them.

http://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-6-car-a...plifiers-98262
    http://www.jlaudio.com/mx650-ccx-sg-...-systems-91939
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Yeah - in hindsight I would have built my stereo differently (both times) by matching speakers to amp brands accordingly. Meaning Kicker Amps & Kicker Speakers. Polk Amps & Polk Speakers. Or perhaps Exile/Exile, WS/WS...

I did all Kenwood in my truck- HU, amps, speakers, sub, and it works/sounds great. Everything matches up powerwise as well without any question.

I like the design of the Kicker amps though by having the power, ground, rem and fuse on one end, and then the inputs, speaker wire, etc on the other end. Makes wiring without any crossing over each other so much easier/cleaner.

What speakers are you using now that you got rid of the polks? Of the three amps I have (JL,wetsounds,Alpine) they are all like that, but I have an MTX in my car and everything is on one side, I much prefer keeping the the power wire away from everything else too.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Last year I was running those in parallel to my kicker 750.5 and I could overheat the amp. This year I put each one on its own channel and I am running the db651 in the bow off the head unit. I'm hoping not to have the amp overheat.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Stayed with Polks - just downgraded to the DB's. Better match powerwise with the 350.4 amp. I only have 4 cabin speakers (2 front, 2 back) so running them all on their own channel at 4ohm and overpowering by roughly 15-20% now instead of underpowering the MM's. The Kicker birth sheet says 418watts on the 350.4.

I guess I'm "sort of" consistent with brands. Running Polk MM650UM's in my tower, 2 pair in parallel powered by a Kicker 450.2. And a Polk 12" sub powered by a Kicker 750.1. Based on the birth sheet ratings on the amps, all the speakers are overpowered by 20-25%. Overall it's pretty good, but I know it could be better.

I wonder when Polk is going to come out with some HLCDs...

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    Of the three amps I have (JL,wetsounds,Alpine) they are all like that
    Same here. We have the same brands amp wise.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded