Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boatmate trailer hub question.

Anyone know off the top of their head what weight oil/lube the hubs on my '07 boatmate trailer uses? It looks like it's a wet type bearing, not a greasable hub like I'm used to. There is what I belive to be a fill port, with a nipple to add lube. If no one knows I'll just call boatmate I suppose. Thanks!
    2007 LSV

'19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Default Boatmate trailer hub question.

I just regreased all of my hubs (had a leak in one seal and had to replace) just a few weeks ago but my trailer is an '08 and I don't have any nipple. I just went to advanced auto and got auto bearing lube, forget what though. Boatmateparts.com sells the lube but they are a ripoff in my opinion.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Thanks CSM!
    2007 LSV

Do you guys have "The Vault" hybrid lubrication system on your hubs? It's supposed to be maintenance free?
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles
    3 vent heater (which my family loves)

"The Vault" is not maintenance free.

Every once in a while check the back of your trailer wheel hubs for leaks - I had a seal blow out and it is rather a PITA to repair.

Even removing the cap requires a replacement from the manufacturer - and a tube of grease, a new rear seal, an O-ring and some permatex seal adhesive.

I have the vault system, it says maintenance free but the manual says to service them every 5 years. I checked the hubs every time I stop for ice/gas for excessive heat or leaks. I plan on servicing them at the 5 year mark if I don't have a no problems before then.
    2015 Supra SE 550

Quote Originally Posted by slipperyrockTKE300 View Post
    "The Vault" is not maintenance free.

Every once in a while check the back of your trailer wheel hubs for leaks - I had a seal blow out and it is rather a PITA to repair.

Even removing the cap requires a replacement from the manufacturer - and a tube of grease, a new rear seal, an O-ring and some permatex seal adhesive.
    I replaced all 4 of mine. It is no different than repacking normal hub bearings IMO. You can get all the parts that boat mate sells at www.pacifictrailers.com for a fraction of the price.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I've replaced mine last year and I bought everything from www.pacifictrailers.com as well. I used the Vault bearing grease as it is designed to lubricate the UFP hubs, I don’t want to burn up the bearings down the road, even more costly. Only problem I had was once I pulled the bearing protector my one hub did not have the 1/8” hole for grease fitting to fill space between the inner and outer bearings correctly. I had to remove the cotter pin pull and remove the large nut off the spindle and pop out the outer bearing and fill the void between the bearings, very easy but very messy. Then just put the outer bearing back in and replace the large nut and cotter pin. Then follow the directions to install the new bearing protector. Very easy, just messy!
    Last edited by Gabbyg88; 06-09-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    2007 Moomba Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I replaced all 4 of mine. It is no different than repacking normal hub bearings IMO. You can get all the parts that boat mate sells at www.pacifictrailers.com for a fraction of the price.
    Seconded on PT, David sent me their info when I replaced mine. And I do have the Vault, I guess the OP was referring to something different. I didn't think it was that much of a pain to change the seal or repack the grease, just messy as hell and a little time consuming.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale